Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  109
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of them have 30 day trials so you should be able to test them first.

From what I hear Windows 10 has SP1 coming out end of July so that may be enough to tide you over till the arrival of SP1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about drivers for all the peripheral stuff? Scanners, printers and such? I know just enough to be a danger to myself so I am hanging back. Yes it is supposed to work but what if it does not?...john
    “Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Hector Berlioz

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My win 10 experience was short lived, I believe I have a clean system (well sort of...) & things should have worked. I had Office Outlook hang up/freeze on a few occasions. The start menu would only work once after start up then nothing & when my CS6 (sort of original) would not start I decided I would revert to win 7 for awhile longer. I understand most of the issues can be worked around if you had an ounce of savvy, I'm just short of the ounce...lol. I will be monitoring progress from members...
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The upgrade to our laptop was seamless. The upgrade to our desktop finishes with a notification that states, "The Modern Set Up Host Stopped Working". I have worked through a number of suggestions, none of which have worked. Will let you know.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just finished with the upgrade to 10 and am happy to a point. Whilst the d/l, install and setup only took a mere 90 minutes everything seems to be working fine except Lightroom CC, so am uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that fixes the problem.

But from what I can see of W10......yes it is faster (once programs & apps have been initialized for the first time)
    It currently looks cleaner than any other previous versions of Windows
    and I like the fact that the old start menu has returned

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems most are having little or no issues with Win 10

The main issues are:
    • Old versions of software or drivers
    • Broken starting point (corrupt Win 7 or Win 8.1)
    • Some applications need to be reinstalled (eg. Spyder)

Most are very easily fixed. Some configuration changes are needed to make it do what you want.

After a few days I like it much better than 8.1 and my wife is happy enough having used Win 7 previously.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

After a few days I like it much better than 8.1 and my wife is happy enough having used Win 7 previously.
    Me too. It appears to be a good stable OS, working well for me.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, no good I'm afraid, have posted a request for help here

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...54#post1308254

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 10 online now for a few days, no probs with any apps. Seems windows did any upgrades that were needed. Boots up in 12 seconds, windows 7 took 6 minutes if I was lucky. Only thing that doesn't work is Comp does not go to sleep any more, even though it is set to do so.
    Norton said not to use Edge as they haven't sorted some extensions, What ever that means????.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1 View Post
    Windows 10 online now for a few days, no probs with any apps. Seems windows did any upgrades that were needed. Boots up in 12 seconds, windows 7 took 6 minutes if I was lucky......
    The difference in bootup time in reality is not that much.
    A few seconds maybe, but not measured in so many minutes.

What you're experiencing is a bloated OS environment(in Win7).

Over time as you install software, and add remove all manner of stuff, Windows boot up takes progressively longer.
    As you use Win10 more and add/remove all manner of stuff again, only time will tell if the advantage is real.

My tablet(of very low specs) is probably a more real indication of bootup time differences.
    I keep it very lean, predominantly for a very few specific purposes, and it's has hardly any programs installed.

Bootup is quicker, but the difference is more like 30 sec .. maybe 1 minute quicker.
    With Win7 it was geenrally between 1-2minutes before the circular 'wait' icon would fully disappear.
    With Win 10 maybe 20-30sec or so.

I recently reinstalled Win 7 on my desktop and bootup time with all manner of junk installed again is also about 30-ish seconds again. Was at least 2-3minutes before the refresh.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will await your collective on the head when I tell you my laptop is 10 sec bootup. OW! OUCH!
    (Will it help if I tell you it's still on W 8.1?- Ouch! I guess not .)
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speedier boot times in Windows were introduced with Win8(pity that OS isn't really suited well for desktop environments)

Apparently the proliferation of tablets devices and their relatively fast boot up times forced M$ to work on this issue.
    The reality is that those mobile devices(phones/tablets/etc) actually are painfully slow to boot up from the off state, but hardly anyone ever truly turns them off .. and instead simply places them into a deep sleep mode.

So M$'s solution(as I've read when Win8 was initially announced) was to load up the most essential items(drivers, services, etc) and then allow you some control of the OS(eg. load a browser, file, software) and finish the OS requirements in the background.

Up to Win7, all services and drivers had to be loaded before the OS would react to any input, hence the feeling that it loaded was of course slower.
    On the tablet with minimal reources and battery life .. this could have been excruciating .. especially with a slow mechanical HDD(5200RPM).

I tried a 7200RPM drive, and this improved boot times, but had to remove it to install it into a dead Laptop .. so I got a Samsung SSD .. and bootup times fell to about 1/4 of those with the old slow HDD. roughly 30sec .. maybe 1min .... compared to at least 2mins with the slow HDD.
    Made the tablet actually useful for other purposes .. except large spreadsheets.

Win 10 improves that to about 10-30sec to a usable state.

The problem with testing this accurately was that something like a process or device would always change the actual boot up time to a usable state .. such as an update, or device accidentally left attached.
    The most annoying bootup slow down process has almost always been any screen calibration software.
    Then of course you have any bloated Office startup crap that loads itself by default .. and so on and etc.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OFFice is OFF this machine, and Open Office is on instead.

Yes, this machine sports an "Instant ON" facility and at present reads, "Standby 10 days".

I was just pleased NOT to have to wait 3-4 mins to actually get to do something

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My W7 used to boot up in less than 20 seconds when new, now takes more than twice as long, due I'm sure to 18 months of accumulated crud.

Have been putting off a fresh instal and will delay again till I decide to go with W10.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have found one problem (Not sure if it has been said) Microsoft Edge.... Works great.. Until you want to write on this forum.... Went back to IE...
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I took the plunge and updated my laptop to Windows 10. So far, so good but I'll wait a bit longer before I upgrade my desktop PC and see how things go on the laptop. I think that this is the OS that Microsoft should have developed instead of wasting time with the abomination that was Vista. It's taken them some time to realise that, while a nice, shiny OS looks good on the screen, it ended up being limited by the capacity of the hardware used to run it. 8, 8.1 and 10 are proof that functionality is more important than a good look. I'm so glad that they have decided to reinstate the start button and ditch the stupid Charms that would pop up on the side of the screen when you didn't want them to. It's still only early days with Windows 10 but, so far, I'm liking what I see.
    Last edited by ApolloLXII; 11-08-2015 at 9:40pm.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run W7 and W8.1 on the one laptop. I use W7 predominately. So I decided to upgrade 8.1 to 10. Within 24 hours my laptop locked up. After mucking around for an hour or so I managed to get it started and went back to W8.1. Now my load/start time has double as the computer searches for W10. Have just upgraded my SSD to Samsung 850 pro 512GB as the Corsair 120 gb was at capacity. It will probably take me hours to figure out how to clean this all up without doing a clean install. The joys of having a computer...cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Found an issue I am going to have to investigate further.

If you have two (or more possibly) user accounts on a Win 10 machine, and none of the user accounts have passwords, when you start the computer up it does not give you a choice of accounts to login to, it just logs into one, and you then have to logout to get logged into the other one. I have not tested this where user accounts have passwords etc yet.

Googling shows there are a few people with this issue but so far have not found a solution. And from what I can tell it logs into the account username that is earliest in the alphabet. So if you had account called Kelly and Andrew, Andrew's account would get logged in, it it was Maria and Marvin, Maria's would get logged in. But have not confirmed it is alphabetical, but from the two machines of friends experiencing this, it has been the account closest to A that gets auto logged on. It could be a different method of selection on which account, but from my limited observations, I surmise it could be alphabet based.
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-08-2015 at 8:37am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just confirmed that if one account has a password, the other account that doesn't gets logged on automatically.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to uninstall my Wi-Fi Drivers on my Toshiba laptop too. Still finding stuff I have to fix. Had one of those unfortunate coincidences on my desktop too. Install new software and have a simultaneous hardware failure. Got a dodgy RAM slot. Tested the modules in different slots and they all work, but the slot is dead, so down to 24gb instead of 32. Some applications don't work as they once did and some settings have not been retained.

Think of the productivity hit that this has caused world-wide.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast