It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated two machines, all goodness

Win 7 users might want this http://8gadgetpack.net/
    Last edited by Kym; 03-08-2015 at 2:35pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloading windows 10 now, been going for 2 hours.

Ross
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1 View Post
    Downloading windows 10 now, been going for 2 hours.

Ross
    Yeah, if you don't have a fast connection it'll take 'forever'.

I've downloaded a couple of USB installations and an ISO. USB installs are about 4Gig, and the ISO(both x86 and x64) is over 6Gig.

From memory the ISO(6Gig) took a couple of hours on a fairly quick cable connection.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to wait a few months before downloading it. There are always numerous bugs that have to be ironed out whenever a new OS has been released so I'll hang back and get the patched up version when they've fixed any issues.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up & running with win 10, jury is out with edge atm will have to do some work to customize before switching over....if at all
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post
    Up & running with win 10, jury is out with edge atm will have to do some work to customize before switching over....if at all
    I think edge isn't bad. It's not what I would consider a replacement for Chrome, but it's better than the shitty tablet browser they had before this. I could probably do 80% of what I need in edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally on line with 10. Downloaded after I cleaned out the update download folder.
    All working perfectly.

Ross.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear, Ross.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Yeah. The window 8 restore files remain on your machine
    According to Windows 10 Q&A page,

The option to revert back is only available for one month.

Also from Surface support page,

Since Surface Pro 3 does not come with Windows 8.1 disc, I take that Restore factory settings is the only option. And I will lose all my documents/applications (to get back to Windows 8.1 Pro)?

So if I take the upgrade plunge, the option of reverting back to Windows 8.1 are:
    do so within one month; or
    (after one month) Restore Surface Pro 3 and lose every applications and documents (and all other settings I presume).
    Am I correct on this?
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Oh, and my screen calibrator is no longer recognised.
    I had to uninstall and then install the latest Spyder 4 software -- the recalibrate -- then ok

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloLXII View Post
    I'm going to wait a few months before downloading it. There are always numerous bugs that have to be ironed out whenever a new OS has been released so I'll hang back and get the patched up version when they've fixed any issues.
    Win 10 had the biggest beta ever. It is quite stable now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    According to Windows 10 Q&A page,
    http://ant.sillydog.org/pix/temp/ss_...t_20150803.png
    The option to revert back is only available for one month.

Also from Surface support page,
    http://ant.sillydog.org/pix/temp/ss_...0_20150803.png
    Since Surface Pro 3 does not come with Windows 8.1 disc, I take that Restore factory settings is the only option. And I will lose all my documents/applications (to get back to Windows 8.1 Pro)?

So if I take the upgrade plunge, the option of reverting back to Windows 8.1 are:
    do so within one month; or
    (after one month) Restore Surface Pro 3 and lose every applications and documents (and all other settings I presume).
    Am I correct on this?
    Realistically you should be backing up data (if you aren't, start now) so all you lose is applications and settings. If you are worried about it, do a full backup of everything including your installation. There is cloning software that would allow for it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Realistically you should be backing up data (if you aren't, start now) so all you lose is applications and settings. If you are worried about it, do a full backup of everything including your installation. There is cloning software that would allow for it.
    Agree, backing up tablet/phone data should be treated the same as backing up photos, or other information you have stored on computers. I backup my phone and tablet data (contacts, call logs, messages, emails, and calendar) every two weeks. Other stuff like word docs, photos, videos, etc are backed up to dropbox on the fly.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should.
    I haven't performed many 'proper' backups ever since Apple released Time Machine feature back in OS X 10.5 Leopard.

So, back to my question... if I don't liking Windows 10 after one month, reverting Surface Pro 3 back to Windows 8.1 would be sort of a hassle.

(I started to wonder why I bought the Surface at the first place.)

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Agree, backing up tablet/phone data should be treated the same as backing up photos, or other information you have stored on computers. I backup my phone and tablet data (contacts, call logs, messages, emails, and calendar) every two weeks. Other stuff like word docs, photos, videos, etc are backed up to dropbox on the fly.
    I don't do backup religiously. iTunes does the backup for my iPhone and iPad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...So, back to my question... if I don't liking Windows 10 after one month, reverting Surface Pro 3 back to Windows 8.1 would be sort of a hassle...
    (Only on the surface, at least)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should.
    I haven't performed many 'proper' backups ever since Apple released Time Machine feature back in OS X 10.5 Leopard.

So, back to my question... if I don't liking Windows 10 after one month, reverting Surface Pro 3 back to Windows 8.1 would be sort of a hassle.

(I started to wonder why I bought the Surface at the first place.)

I don't do backup religiously. iTunes does the backup for my iPhone and iPad.
    I have both Mac and PC so I'm in the same boat. My mac is backed up by time machine and to an online storage facility. All my documents on my surface pro are backed up to dropbox which in turn syncs with my mac and is backed up to an online facility. If you do the same with this (not sure if the SP3 is a replacement to your mac or to be used in conjunction with it), then backups shouldn't be an issue. At worst, if you want to restore, you should be able to use the download the restore files for the SP3 with Windows 8.1 and restore it to its original format and all your data and documents should be online (icloud/exchange or dropbox).

Personally, having used the SP3 on windows 8.1, I would rather deal with a slightly buggy windows 10 than a stable windows 8.1

If you do work with Windows 8.1 on the SP3, I'd recommend start8 to get back to a normal start menu.

Biggest thing I miss from my mac on the SP3 is spotlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... (not sure if the SP3 is a replacement to your mac or to be used in conjunction with it), then backups shouldn't be an issue.
    Backup isn't an issue, however I will admit that I've been lazy.

Not to replace my Mac, but I haven't had a 'proper' PC for 10+ years (apart from running Parallels). I guess it was the stylus for SP3 that got me into it. The stylus for iPads don't work that well, even with the bluetooth version. Initially looking for cheap tablet, but ended up with SP3, telling myself I do have a few Windows-only applications.
    (And I don't use the Surface Pen all that often afterwards.)

Biggest thing I miss from my mac on the SP3 is spotlight.
    The key feature I miss is Quick Look (select a file on Finder, and press the spacebar for quick preview)... been hitting the spacebar many times on SP3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backup isn't an issue, however I will admit that I've been lazy.

Not to replace my Mac, but I haven't had a 'proper' PC for 10+ years (apart from running Parallels). I guess it was the stylus for SP3 that got me into it. The stylus for iPads don't work that well, even with the bluetooth version. Initially looking for cheap tablet, but ended up with SP3, telling myself I do have a few Windows-only applications.
    (And I don't use the Surface Pen all that often afterwards.)

The key feature I miss is Quick Look (select a file on Finder, and press the spacebar for quick preview)... been hitting the spacebar many times on SP3.
    You can set up the preview on the side of the screen, that is the closest you can get to the spacebar. I prefer the space as well.

The pen also got me into it. OneNote integration with the stylus is incredible.

If you end up needing a decent search application for windows, X1 is the best I have found to date.

That said, if Apple released something like this, I would replace this in a heartbeat.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/20...#comment-42616

[top]Photoshop and Lightroom compatibility with Windows 10

Windows 10 was released today. To answer questions about compatibility, Adobe has create an FAQ.
    The Photoshop and Lightroom teams have been testing our applications since Windows 10 became available to developers. In our testing, we have found no significant issues with running Creative Cloud products or Lightroom 6 with Windows 10.
    Earlier versions of Photoshop (CS6) were also tested to a lesser extent and no significant issues were discovered.
    I personally recommend that customers do their own testing on a non-production partition to ensure that new OSes work with their current hardware and drivers.
    If you do encounter issues not already documented, feel free to report them on our feedback site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MissionMan,
    Thank you for the start8 and X1 suggestion, and answering all upgrading question.

I will play with Windows 8.1 for a bit longer on SP3, since I haven't had it for that long yet.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast