Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

( I'm using a Toshiba Laptop with AMD graphics card/driver).
    Which AMD chip?(and which driver version?)

Technically, the driver is software that the OS installs to communicate with the actual hardware.
    It sounds like you did an install over another Windows installation, and not a clean install of Win10.
    But even at that, Windows will almost always install a generic, lowest common denominator type driver, which results in a screen reminiscent of the 80's .. at about 400x640 at 16bit colour
    You then update the graphics chip driver to allow more detailed display characteristics, and set display settings to something more usable.
    So did the problem begin immediately after initial bootup, or id it only start after you installed the AMD driver for the graphics chip?

I have a couple of PC's with AMD graphics chips.

will check to see if they are compatible before any updates for them.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    No idea? My technical knowledge of computers is binary - they either work , or don't work.

I simply followed the prompts provided by the small windows icon in the tool bar , which did the upgrade for me , so yes Ver 10 was installed over the top of Ver 8 . Reading forums it looks like Ver 10 installs an out of date , or incompatible driver , which then needs to be updated.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea? My technical knowledge of computers is binary - they either work , or don't work.

I simply followed the prompts provided by the small windows icon in the tool bar , which did the upgrade for me , so yes Ver 10 was installed over the top of Ver 8 . Reading forums it looks like Ver 10 installs an out of date , or incompatible driver , which then needs to be updated.
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting Brad. I upgraded my editing desktop computer yesterday, and first go the install failed and said 'something happened' and that my graphics driver needed updating, when I clicked on 'next' it took me to the driver site page (for AMD catalyst) so I just had to download and update. Then when I re-ran the upgrade it worked perfectly.

Sounds like M$ offer support during the upgrade for some drivers etc, and not others.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody interested in setting their privacy setting with Windows 10 might find this useful. It's a fair read but worth the effort if you're concerned about these sort of things.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...vacy-settings/

Click this link, download the 32-bit or 64-bit file as needed. Move the downloaded file to your desktop, right click it and 'run as administrator'
    Thanks for this post Rick. It seems the download wont work if you just click the button. I'll now try the method you suggest

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

....Reading forums it looks like Ver 10 installs an out of date , or incompatible driver , which then needs to be updated.
    AH! ok then.

FWIW: the actual device(the graphics chip) will be listed in the Device Manager section of Control Panel.
    Control Panel->Device Manager-><scroll list down to display adapters in the list> click Display Adapters{and it should be called ATI or AMD something-or-other}

eg. Mine is called ATI Radeon 4290
    That's the chip model type. And if you're ever looking for updated drivers that's what you'd search for, or install for.
    (ie. when in doubt, always consult your Device Manager)

And another thing to be mindful of too. It's not always Window's/M$'s fault too.
    Usually when there's a driver issue of some sort, it's more so due to the device(PC) manufacturer, and or the peripheral device(the specific part that's causing the issue) manufacturer.

I get this all the time on some devices.
    eg. on my Gigabyte tablet they've used a Realtek ethernet chip. I look for drivers for this ethernet device to work properly in the gigabit speed range.
    The tablet manufacturer does something to disallow the installation of the generic driver from Realtek(the company that makes the actual LAN hardware and driver) and I can only install Gigabytes latest driver version.
    The problem is, Gigabyte's driver is much older .. and could be the cause of the not so quick wired LAN speeds this tablet gives me.
    The issue could be any number of things actually, but the issue here is that Gigabyte won't allow the installation of the peripheral device manufacturers driver.

So not all bad things in an M$ world are simply due to M$!
    I'm not defending M$ here, other than to explain that their task is made massively difficult because of the monumental variety of products available for the system!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five hours to upgrade, and then it crashes on rebooting. Grrrr! Finally get it working and it looks like crap. I truly can't see what all the hype was about. The only nice thing I can say about it is that I didn't have to go and re-activate all my other software this time, and it kept all my settings. Oh, and my screen calibrator is no longer recognised.
    Last edited by Warbler; 02-08-2015 at 11:05am.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't find anything wrong with w7 on my laptop. Anytime someone wants you to upgrade it costs you money. Maybe not now but it will. Something won't work so you buy a new one. And then the learning curve for the new system. Might wait till I buy a new laptop and my guess is this will outlive me.
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Five hours to upgrade, and then it crashes on rebooting. Grrrr! Finally get it working and it looks like crap. I truly can't see what all the hype was about. The only nice thing I can say about it is that I didn't have to go and re-activate all my other software this time, and it kept all my settings. Oh, and my screen calibrator is no longer recognised.
    The impact is probably not that noticeable unless you have a tablet. Did you come from Windows 8 or 7?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    The impact is probably not that noticeable unless you have a tablet. ...
    And even more so if that tablet is limited in it's hardware capabilities.

Like I said earlier, on my Atom powered tablet(previously Win7 too) .. it's much faster to load up into a usable state and a teeny bit more responsive with most tasks.

I've yet to read of any hype(or hyperbole) as of yet, and my experience so far(not yet on the desktop) are positive as opposed to glowing.
    The biggest deal tho is coming from Win7 on a tablet(which is next to unusable as a tablet OS) .. Win10 is much better by at least one order of magnitude.

My kids both have tablet-laptops(ie. hybrid) PC for(and from) school, which both use Win8.1.
    Don't like them at all, and are quite sluggish even tho they have much more superior hardware(RAM, CPU, etc)

But they are chock full with so much software which probably makes a difference too tho(Photoshop, Office .. etc) so much bloated stuff probably taking up some system resources somewhere in the background.
    Can't do anything about it tho as they're both managed by the school.

One other thing about any Win10 users out there at the moment.
    Has anyone used Edge yet(if you're the typical Windows Explorer avoider)?

I'm pretty much devoted to Firefox for so many reasons ... features, security open source, etc ... but on the tablet it's usually a bit slow to load and operate.(most likely due to RAM)
    So far tho, Edge blows it away for speed/responsiveness, and I'm actually contemplating sticking with it for a while and not reloading FF again.
    I had FF on the Preview version of Win10, but wasn't impressed having then used Edge.

One other thing for me tho is that I always do full clean installs for any OS upgrade.
    Been bitten too many times with updated/refresh installations of an OS ... just for the sake of not having to reinstall software and re activating that software.
    reinstalling software is trivial by comparison to having driver and software issues later on if some other conflict arises.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    The impact is probably not that noticeable unless you have a tablet. Did you come from Windows 8 or 7?
    Win 7 Ultimate 64. I think I'll be restoring to that too. When something so basic as Windows Explorer is unrecogniseable, I sniff young marketing suits with no bloody idea. I really can't see anything "better" about it, or "quicker". Might be great for the mobile phone brigade who feel the occasional need to make a desktop machine look like their phone, but it does nothing for power users.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found that copy to folder option. It was Microsoft Edge that didn't have it, not Explorer. I thought MS might have learned it's lesson when it changed the Office User Interface and causes lots of retraining costs for businesses unnecessarily. Man, I wonder what the global productivity costs have been since this upgrade became available.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Like I said earlier, on my Atom powered tablet(previously Win7 too) .. it's much faster to load up into a usable state and a teeny bit more responsive with most tasks.

The biggest deal tho is coming from Win7 on a tablet(which is next to unusable as a tablet OS) .. Win10 is much better by at least one order of magnitude.

Oh, goody! This bodes well for my Win 7 "Starter" EEE Netbook!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like windows 10 so far but had trouble with the Nvidia graphics, it takes 2 reboots to get it to load the driver.
    canon 5D mark III tamron 24-70 2.8 vc, 50mm 1.8, tamrom 70-200 2.8 vc, remote tripod
    perseverance

Rob

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All went well with the install. Seems quite good although I have found a problem with Flickr using Edge. It looks like it has a bug using the BB Code share function. The dialogue box doesn't show properly. I ended up having to use Chrome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ameerat42, I am running win 7 pro at the moment.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Dunno what sort of upgrade notification you get with Win 7, Ross. If you look at my post 37 in this thread,
    the picture there shows the Win 8.1 desktop screen. At the lower right, the 3rd icon in from the left is the update
    notification icon.

However, if you want to get it, don't worry about notifications. Go to the site Rick has mentioned in post 27.

Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked my update list, in the last 4 days Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro is listed 7 times as failed. Error code 80240020. When I followed the prompt to check the code, no answer was the stern reply.

Ross.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's something common. - Some corruption in the Win update folder on your computer.

Google search on just "Error code 80240020". There are heaps of refs and fixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I will do that in the morning.

Ross.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now I have this problem. My Outlook won't send email anymore. It will send test messages but all my replies are still in the Outbox with sending errors. What a PITA.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/c...ows-10-upgrade

- - - Updated - - -

The above fix worked for me too. I can now send email. Pity the damn machine won't reboot without a disc though. More work required. I wonder what the impact to Global GDP has been with this release.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm going to give Win 10 a big miss, at least on my Win 7 machine. There appears to be issues with drivers relating to dedicated astro CCD cams and telescope control (ASCOM). Also it would appear that auto updates can't be disabled and my astro chums tell me there is nothing more annoying than having an imaging run cancelled because Windows wants an update. As I'm in a rural district, I'm not at all happy with the idea that MS may want to share my internet connection.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast