Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  109
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the queue & will be notified, ricktas when did you join the queue? I've had the message that all my stuff is compatible & will migrate. That's got to be a good thing eh.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates or fixes yet ?
    Last edited by Cage; 31-07-2015 at 11:38am.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you click on the Windows 10 icon on your menu bar and look at the option check for updates, it seems to force the upgrade early

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been notified of my update yet, can't be long.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last 2 months I have gone from XP SP3 to 8 to 8.1 and 10.0 is pending ... suddenly addicted to bungee jumping. Heartened by the pro 10 over 8 comments.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1 View Post
    Haven't been notified of my update yet, can't be long.

Ross.
    Hmm! What ver of Win do you have, Ross?
    On the Win 8 screen there is a small icon of 4 tiles on the lower right of the task bar, jut next to the "action Center" flag icon.
    If you hover the mouse over this it will read "Get Windows 10". But note that this is just a registration, and you don't get it straightaway.
    You're put on a list and... who knows what happens?
    Am.

- - - Updated - - -

pS.
    i think it's the "updates available" icon.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post
    I'm in the queue & will be notified, ricktas when did you join the queue? I've had the message that all my stuff is compatible & will migrate. That's got to be a good thing eh.
    You can jump the queue. As always, I provide this here for information only and take no responsibility for you using it. Use at your own risk. This is what I used to upgrade.

Click this link, download the 32-bit or 64-bit file as needed. Move the downloaded file to your desktop, right click it and 'run as administrator'. It should then go through the process to upgrade you to Win10. No need to wait in the queue.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 10+ years of Apple-only devices, I bought myself a Surface Pro 3 few weeks back. One of the first things during initial setup of Surface Pro 3 is to make sure I am not registered for Windows 10.

(Despite OS X 10.11 El Capitan is on its way very soon, my main computer - Mac Pro is still running OS X 10.9 Mavericks.)

I can live without the latest of the latest.
    Last edited by antony; 31-07-2015 at 7:49pm.
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    After 10+ years of Apple-only devices, I bought myself a Surface Pro 3 few weeks back. One of the first things during initial setup of Surface Pro 3 is to make sure I am not registered for Windows 10.

(Despite OS X 10.11 El Capitan is on its way very soon, my main computer - Mac Pro is still running OS X 10.9 Mavericks.)

I can live without the latest of the latest.
    Upgrade it. I've been running Windows 8 on the surface pro 3 for nearly a year and it's the biggest piece of shit to grace computer hardware, second maybe to only Windows ME.

The Surface is a great piece of hardware, really good quality but the OS lets it down. Even with Windows 10 as a new OS, it's still so far ahead of Windows that I could feel my body physically sigh with relief when I installed Windows 10 and started up for the first time.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you find it so, MM? I am worried now that I might have to suddenly wash my hands.
    I also can't figure out why Antony would want to disable the upgrade notification.
    Am(worried).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you misunderstood but I was recommending the upgrade to Windows 10 as its great. It's how how the Surface Pro 3 should have been released to started with.

Windows 8 on the other hand was disjointed, unintuitive, constantly required a mouse in tablet mode or touch screen in mouse mode, that it became evident that it was designed by a geek with no usability experience.

Does Windows 10 have issues? Yes but they are honestly really minor.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm glad you clarified it, MM. AFAICS, you mean the experience with this tablet. I can only say that on the Zenbook I have it's been the best OS
    I can remember. It's been stable, fast, things happen that you expect... - other things I can't recall. Sure, as soon as I got it I set it up straight
    for Desktop appearance.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Upgrade it. I've been running Windows 8 on the surface pro 3 for nearly a year and it's the biggest piece of shit to grace computer hardware, second maybe to only Windows ME.
    I haven't even had Surface Pro 3 for 1 month yet. I will play with 8.1 for a bit longer. Just starting to get used Windows 8.1.

Can I revert back to 8.1 if I don't like Windows 10?

I admit I haven't used Surface Pro 3 that much. Still using Mac and iPads 95% of the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. The window 8 restore files remain on your machine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    OK, I'm glad you clarified it, MM. AFAICS, you mean the experience with this tablet. I can only say that on the Zenbook I have it's been the best OS
    I can remember. It's been stable, fast, things happen that you expect... - other things I can't recall. Sure, as soon as I got it I set it up straight
    for Desktop appearance.
    Am.
    Nope, I mean with Windows 8 in generally. I have to say it's honestly surprising. You may be the first person I've met that actually likes Windows 8. Everyone I know hates it. I sat next to someone last night who told me he returned his laptop to JB hifi because he found Windows 8 virtually unusable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Nope, I mean with Windows 8 in generally. I have to say it's honestly surprising. You may be the first person I've met that actually likes Windows 8. Everyone I know hates it. I sat next to someone last night who told me he returned his laptop to JB hifi because he found Windows 8 virtually unusable.
    I would agree. I have used Win 8 a couple of times only and hated it. So I stuck with Win7. M$ seem to do a good job of every second version of their OS. I have leapfrogged through the ages.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do you use it in Apps mode or just in Desktop? I use it the latter way, and it's hardly different from the other
    versions I've used. I will say that I cannot stand the Apps mode. In fact, I set it to start in desktop mode.

Here is a pic of it with a bonus File Explorer screen open
    Win81D.jpg

(PS: I knew you'd like it.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded to Windows 10.

A warning that may help some others !!!!!!!!.

After the upgrade my laptop was running very slow on startup and once the desktop came up I got the Blue Screen of Death with a warning about Internal Power Error . The computer shut down , restarted and the same thing kept happening over and over again. It was in a constant death spiral!!!

Obviously I'm not very happy and the expletives used I will reserve for Microsoft only!!!

After finding and firing up my old laptop to access google I managed to fix the problem. Apparently the new Windows 10 was not compatible with my graphics driver .

So to fix problem - before the blue screen of death appears you need to quickly disable your graphics driver ( use device manager) . This stops the crashing . Then use the update driver command to download and install the new driver.

Now it all works and I'm happy , but it would be nice if MS somehow sorthed these problems out first and told you before you did the upgrade.

Anyway , a potential warning for others .

( I'm using a Toshiba Laptop with AMD graphics card/driver).
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Brad. Only the kiss of death from Mr Goldfinger would be worse than the dreaded BLUE SCREEN!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean install and I am happy so far. Desktop PC.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast