Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benwheeler View Post
    ...It's been a long time since I've even seen a plan available that would mean downloading 5gb is an imposition. Unless you're restricted to a SIM plan, I think it's time to change internet providers!...
    ...Except for "most-of-the-people-who-live-in-the-boosh"
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see.. Well, that's a shame! Anyway, I guess Microsoft coming to an agreement with every ISP in Australia to provide free updates to keep those in the bush happy is fairly unlikely..

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    updating just the one PC, and lets say it's 3 or 4 .. or 5Gb update being pushed .. basically, not a problem other than speed in some instances.

But add another PC or two .. that 3-5Gb adds up, and the frequency that they push out some of these updates is getting shorter.
    Lets say a household is now at 3 or 5 PCs, they may not all be on at the same time to take advantage of M$s update sharing scheme either .. maybe they're not even all interconnected on the network or something like that too.

Basically, it's a bit of a mess really. imagine you're on a supposedly unlimited plan, which for many situations can really mean a 100G limit, or limited to 50 G during peak times and completely unlimited off peak.
    How many people have the presence of mind to leave their computer on during the week hours that is offpeak?

And that's just the OS download requirements!
    Add Office, which many folks have and use! ... where 1Gb major service pack updates aren't uncommon .. add updates to other software(Adobe's CC malarky is another classic example)

Johns' point that the size of these updates has merit in that once you add up everything .. when you add up all the data necessary to appease some of those supposed 'entertainment broadband' packages will be continuously churning through data like voracious parasites.

Any wonder I'm struggling to achieve 10Mb/s sometimes on my supposedly 100Mb/s cable plan!
    All these parasites chewing up bandwidth just to be up to date!

Add to the problem that the turnbullsh!t idiot cheapened NBN with 20th century 'fibre to the node', and there's no real alternative to cable (for speed) ... and the issue is one big mess that is going to become a bigger mess in the future due to congestion.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Exactly, Arthur.

We currently have 8x PCs + 1x laptop in the house! Some will (eventually ... ) be going out the door, but 3.6 GB x 9 would start to be plain ridiculous! We have HFC cable here, so 116 Mbps down (only 2.5 Mbps up - :dummyspit: - upload is limited by the existing exchange h/w, not the transmission h/w or modality).

I have run Gbps Ethernet over Cat 2 cable (ordinary 2 pair telephone cable). Cat 5/6 is preferable, of course.

Coaxial cable will run as fast as you can pump data into it, just don't expect it to do it for hundreds of simultaneous connections, and no one is suggesting this model.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WIn 10 - Network/Bandwidth Meter

Newly discovered (by me) in WIN 10 - a handy network/bandwidth meter.

It was probably in Win 8 as well and I just didn't notice it
    Quick way of checking internet performance

(For complete novices only: Ctrl-Alt-Del, then Task Manager, then set up screen as below.)
    (Set View to "Always on top".)

Well, FWIW, here it is...
    netmon.jpg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those like me, who tried and rejected Win10, you may be experiencing some difficulty using tasks like Backup. When you revert to win7 from win10, the task scheduler gets screwed up sometimes. I could no longer run a backup and got a message about "The task images is corrupt or has been tampered with". I was getting around this by using robocopy.exe to backup my files. Robocopy is fine for backing up files, but it won't create a system image and I had not updated my system image for quite some time. Anyway, I got sick of that and did some searching on the net and found that this was a common problem that came about from restoring windows 7 from win 10. There is a solution that is an exe file that you can download from:

https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/

I've downloaded it and run it. It restored 76 corrupt tasks, the vast majority of which I was not aware were no longer running. Things like automatic updates for Java and other applications. Anyway, I'm posting it in case you are struggling with this issue and want to try a solution that worked for me.
    Last edited by Warbler; 29-10-2016 at 12:06pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    In Win 10, when I open the Downloads Folder for the first time or after a long time, I get the
    progress bar and "Working on it" message as shown below.

It lasts up to 10 sec. Subsequent opens of the folder display it immediately. The computer is a
    laptop with two SSDs. I can't remember seeing it on the other machines running Win 10 with
    spindle HDDs. Does anybody know why/what's happening?

Ta.

What I get...
    Attachment 127191
    I may have found a solution if you're still having this problem...go into your downloads folder, into 'Properties', then 'Customise Tab' and change the 'Optimise this folder' to 'General items'...it's certainly helped me out

Cheers -
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Gazza. I will givvertago... - So that's a to "still happening"
    Last edited by ameerat42; 20-05-2020 at 5:25am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the same problem intermittently here too, checked that setting, was already set, ticked the apply to all subfolders box as well to see if that helps.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718