Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  109
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same, more so when accessing another drive...wait until you do a simple search looking for a long lost image, it's time for a tea/coffee/beer then
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Ta. I must say, I've only ever noticed it on Downloads, and that's on the C drive.
    Will check others later (after some time or on next switch on). I wonder if the OS is doing
    a TRIM? But it would not be doing that for you if you do not have SSDs. (Hmm! -???)

After a moment's reflection: No, of course not a TRIM. That's for the whole drive, isn't it?

[???] Hmm! [/???]
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often get this. My system has 1 128GB SSD as the system disc (C) plus 7 other various size HDD's 4 internal plus 2 USB2 and 1 USB3 external drives and as Gazza said a coffee or beer while waiting for a search result.
    Cheers
    Keith.

HDD's.JPG

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Speedway. I guess it's just part of Win 10. I remember it never happened with Win 8 and 8.1.
    I guess there are worse ways to spend 5-10 sec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the operating system is turning off hard drives to save power? If so, you can change that under Power Settings in the control panel.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Ben. The thing is that the Downloads folder is on C drive, and that's always going.
    Do SSDs have such a feature?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    In Win 10, when I open the Downloads Folder for the first time or after a long time, I get the
    progress bar and "Working on it" message...
    Thinking on this and have recalled when this would happen to me using Win8.
    Not sure if it was just the downloads folder.
    But I did work out that it would happen if one of the files in that folder had a damaged/corrupt thumbnail.
    In the end I just stopped using the Downloads folder and any of the main system standard folders (such as Music or My Documents etc).

Just suggesting that it might not be a Win10 specific issue. just a corrupt file.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at the default power option settings on my laptop. The hard drive will turn off after either 10 or 20 min, depending on if the computer's plugged in. It's a Windows setting rather than a feature of the drive itself. Although, you'd think an SSD would snap into action pretty swiftly.

Anyway, just a possible cause.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hip, hip, HOORAY! No more reminders from Microsoft about upgrading to Windows 10.....at long last.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 10 1607 (anniversary edition) updates 2 x home and 1 x pro -- no issues at all.

Force update from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

3.6GB download (on NBN Fibre 100mps was only ~ 12 minutes)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I got the Anniversary update a week or so back. Same here - no issues. Sure, it looks
    like they've changed the "Start" button menu a bit, and the calculator now has a (still annoying)
    History pane that I can't seem to close, but...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size of that update package is interesting.

WinNT4 Server took around 36x1.44MB floppies for a full installation distribution, IIRC.

MS seems to have really badly lost the plot when an update is 70x larger ...

The distro DVD for Win7Pro is only 2.32GB ...

XP Pro shipped on a 650MB CDR, with space to spare ...
    Last edited by John King; 08-10-2016 at 5:15pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that update was rather!!!
    And it took aaaaaaaaaaaggggeessss to do.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 08-10-2016 at 5:18pm. Reason: Ineptitude.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the update breaks nForce raid arrays. So if your boot drive is on an nForce array you won't be able to boot after the update. Instructions on how to get nForce arrays recognised by the latest Win10 update are here : http://www.win-raid.com/t2202f37-HOT...ssable-17.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    The size of that update package is interesting.

WinNT4 Server took around 36x1.44MB floppies for a full installation distribution, IIRC.

MS seems to have really badly lost the plot when an update is 70x larger ...

The distro DVD for Win7Pro is only 2.32GB ...

XP Pro shipped on a 650MB CDR, with space to spare ...

Not really getting the point, other than:
    with every generation of OS, the added features seem to inflate the size of the OS/update packages

surprised? Not really.

DOS was an all encompassing OS itself too, and only fit on a single (properly!)floppy drive .. not 36 of them
    But what did it allow you to do, other than type some stuff, for it to display some other stuff back at 'ya.

May sound alarmist that WinNT server was only about 50-ish Mb in total, but can you edit and make movies without installing other software?
    Can you ask it questions to assist you to find stuff?
    Can you natively play music, and have it remember your favourite stuff?
    Can you run it on a tablet ....

(ps, list goes on for ever as to the differences in features)

crus of the problem is:
    People(in general) seem to be lazy(myself included), and they seem to want everything to do everything for them! It appears that their computing environment isn't excluded from this desire to maintain their lack of enthusiasm to do stuff themselves .. so they(appear too) want stuff like Cortana, and music playing stuff, and movie making stuff .. ad infinitum.

Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    And the update breaks nForce raid arrays. So if your boot drive is on an nForce array you won't be able to boot after the update. .....

Hopefully lesson learned!

Don't use raid(especially 0!!) for boot drives/important drives!!

Learned that lesson many years back.

Nothing wrong with raid arrays, but not for the critical stuff like OS.
    Use raid for secondary storage stuff, or cache areas, or whatever.

In saying that tho, I guess raid 1 could work fine for OS drives.
    Never done it(never needed/wanted), but if the drive is simply mirrored(for redundancy) then if the raid array is borked, then in theory the single drive should still function as per normal in a non raid environment.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never use raid 0 for anything. My disks were raid 1. I'm all back up and running now with full raid 1 as I like

Really is time for me to upgrade my 9 yr old motherboard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    Never use raid 0 for anything. My disks were raid 1. I'm all back up and running now with full raid 1 as I like

So, did you try taking out one of the disks and checking to see if it boots up as per normal with the raid feature disabled?

I'm not 100% sure how(the guts of) raid works, but if raid 1 stripes the data across the two disparate drives, and doesn't use or need parity, then the data on one drive should be just that .. the data needed to boot into the drive again.

I recently got myself a new 4 bay NAS and I don't use the RAID features at all. RAID 5 sounds nice until you think about the complete loss of one drive's capacity just for the sake of maintaining parity!
    So I just set them all up as 4 separate drives, and have two drives dedicated to just my images on the NAS.
    I figure that the chances of both drives giving up the ghost at the exact same time is very remote, and that if a drive does give up, I'll more than likely have the ability/time to secure the data on the drive that still works.

I reckon I'm still ahead in using this method because on my third drive of those images, it doesn't have to be one of the same size. So I have a backup of a backup to a primary source .. ie. raid 5 but without the limitations(eg. of required same drives, etc).

I also found out the hard way that sometimes you don't want auto backing up(that is basically what backup type raids do).
    A few years ago, I was doing my normal routine backup not realising that the source data was corrupted, so the backup data was overwriting basically good data.
    That's what a raid will do .. if one of the drives is fed with corrupt data it simply writes that same corrupted data to the next drive in the array.
    So while you may have had uncorrupted data on the other drive, it will then also become corrupted.

I lost a pile of about 15 NEF files during a transfer. The files didn't appear corrupted in any way until I tried to open them in any software .. only to get file not supported.
    Turned out that most of those files were shot copies of similar images I did on a shoot .. so no biggie. I think maybe one of those images may have had some value to it, so it's loss was briefly mourned(but then just as quickly forgotten).

Now I do all my backups manually. I use a combo of sync(free file sync is awesome for that! .. highly recommended) and file copying of specific files only(ie. new or updated).
    For OS, I think regular system images are the best shot for backups rather than raid.

about the only advantage I can see for wanting/needed raid nowadays is RAID 5 on a local machine. And that's really only for a bit more speed of data access whilst maintaining some security of that data.
    But SSDs are getting so cheap now, that this is now also becoming less of an advantage.

The only other reason to use raid is for the geek factor(and I admit I'm a geek).
    I just finished my new PC, and will soon also add a couple more SSDs to the mix(I'm basically trying to conserve some power maintaining all these HDDs.
    Anyhow, I'll soon have a couple of spare 1Tb drives, and I'll keep them active for a bit once the new SSDs are installed as replacements.

I'll then set those two HDDs in a raid setup, but they'll be non critical geekware type playthings

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Not really getting the point, other than:
    with every generation of OS, the added features seem to inflate the size of the OS/update packages

surprised? Not really.

DOS was an all encompassing OS itself too, and only fit on a single (properly!)floppy drive .. not 36 of them
    But what did it allow you to do, other than type some stuff, for it to display some other stuff back at 'ya.

May sound alarmist that WinNT server was only about 50-ish Mb in total, but can you edit and make movies without installing other software?
    Can you ask it questions to assist you to find stuff?
    Can you natively play music, and have it remember your favourite stuff?
    Can you run it on a tablet ....

(ps, list goes on for ever as to the differences in features)

crus of the problem is:
    People(in general) seem to be lazy(myself included), and they seem to want everything to do everything for them! It appears that their computing environment isn't excluded from this desire to maintain their lack of enthusiasm to do stuff themselves .. so they(appear too) want stuff like Cortana, and music playing stuff, and movie making stuff .. ad infinitum.
    That's fair enough too, Arthur. I prefer the OS and its associated file system to be robust and supportable, rather than some sort of all singing, all dancing wonder system ...

I have just had to reboot my wife's w/s because it was running a bit slowly. The h/w is about 9 y.o., and runs XP Pro. It had been running continuously for just over 40 days ...

That's what I refer to as "reliable and robust" .

BTW, my 'point' was that the programmers at MS (and Adobe, and ... ) seem to have forgotten how to write 'tight' code that just works properly, with decent error trapping and sensible help/prompts where necessary. They appear to be too entranced by the flashy/fashionable, rather than the mundane and robust.

YMMV.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's just inevitable that software will become bloated.

All those 'user friendly' features that help you find stuff, do stuff, see stuff, etc .. or in the case of Adobe .. clone stuff without really trying! .. it all needs more code.
    And the chances that bugs and security issues arise when more code is written for those features is higher .. so more code is needed to fix the badly written bloated code already present.

ps. my preference is usually for the mundane and robust too .. don't misunderstand my point, that this is just inevitable.

And for sure it will grow exponentially in the future too. I reckon it won't be too long before a dual layer blue ray disk is needed just for the minor updates!

Wondering if anyone knows if M$ still have the old system where you could download cumulative updates, save them to the PC, and or integrate them into a new copy of the installation media?

The biggest major PITA with the move to Win10 has been this Update system debacle.
    I just got a new PC up and running and would have preferred to use that old system for installing updates.

Also! Operating systems suppliers(mainly Apple and M$) should work out a system of excluding the updates from people internet service provider's download allowances.
    This is where the issue of size of updates is going to hurt many.
    They seem to think that we're all billionaires with unlimited access to $'s and data plans!

ps. Win10 Pro with all it's features and bloat ware is 5.5Gb in size .. so a dual layer DVD. That's not as bad as it could have been. Oh and I delete all the crap like 3D builder, Groove, Movies, and whatnot
    Last edited by arthurking83; 09-10-2016 at 2:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Also! Operating systems suppliers(mainly Apple and M$) should work out a system of excluding the updates from people internet service provider's download allowances.
    This is where the issue of size of updates is going to hurt many.
    They seem to think that we're all billionaires with unlimited access to $'s and data plans!
    Good luck with that.. It's been a long time since I've even seen a plan available that would mean downloading 5gb is an imposition. Unless you're restricted to a SIM plan, I think it's time to change internet providers!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast