Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I was worried for a little while and then I realised they can't force a Windows 10 on a Mac
    Cmmiserations, MM.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep reading all the comments from those who don't want or like Windows 10 and keep wondering why. I upgraded mine and liked it so much that I decided to get a new hard drive and clean install since I had so much gunk on the old system, 8.1. I find 10 great.
    And I love my windows phone too, much better experience for me than the android that I was using.
    Off to see the psychiatrist in case there is something wrong with me.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    I keep reading all the comments from those who don't want or like Windows 10 and keep wondering why. I upgraded mine and liked it so much that I decided to get a new hard drive and clean install since I had so much gunk on the old system, 8.1. I find 10 great.
    And I love my windows phone too, much better experience for me than the android that I was using.
    Off to see the psychiatrist in case there is something wrong with me.
    I actually like Windows 10, especially compared to 8.1, the vast majority of my complaints are about Windows is the lack of quality control. It seems like every SP1 is what the software should have been and customers suffer at their expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    ...Off to see the psychiatrist in case there is something wrong with me...
    See you there

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    I've been clicking that free upgrade to Windows 10 message popping up from time to time on my Surface Pro 3.
    You might find this script useful. I've used it on about a dozen systems now; seems to work very well. https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Tannin,

I will check it out.
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HOOR.... (almost - AY!)

1. After nearly 4 hours, I got WIN 10 installed on my most humble EEEPC netbook.

It came with a Gig of RAM (It would barely bleat) and Win 7 Starter (<"Home").

The other day I expended the princely sum of $20 to upgrade it to its max capable
    2 Gigs of RAM.

2. The story's not quite over, as I have to update a driver to make the touchpad work. But at least
    the keyboard and mouse work.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Defender in Win 10

Dribs and drabs updates on Win 10 experience...

Usually you can tell your resident virus check program to scan a single file, group of files, or a folder
    just by doing a R-click on the items involved.

Well, you CAN'T in Win 10 - there's no R-click context menu item

This long article tells you something about it.

Hey, SuperAntiSpyware, here I come! It at least adds a R-click context item

--Oh, for the Netbook.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 02-11-2015 at 3:14pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 10 on the desktop.

Overall impression good (from Win 7) BUT it does have a few issues, some of which have been fixed as updates released/installed.

Main one for me is Windows Media Centre is not supported at all and thus my TV tuner card that I recently bought is just taking up space.
    I have managed to find a work around with NextPVR + Kodo but it's by no means an easy set up and I'm still troubleshooting it.

I've had no issues running PP software, all works as it should. So do games... not that I waste time on those...

My big beef is that as MissionMan said, MS treats all of it's customers as "beta testers". It's just not acceptable.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    My big beef is that as MissionMan said, MS treats all of it's customers as "beta testers". It's just not acceptable.
    Good job you the cameras that you do and not Nikon then or you would be doubly beta testing products and doubly peeved.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Good job you the cameras that you do and not Nikon then or you would be doubly beta testing products and doubly peeved.

After however long it's been since Win10 appeared(I've had it from day 3) .. no real issues. One or two minor issues, but that happens any/every where.

But the strange thing is being a part of Nikon's beta testing process(unwittingly) .. with their silly CaptureNX-D software .. since Win10 I've had no real issues.
    it's runs sort'a fast enough. I'ts yet to crash at all on Win10 .. where on Win7 it was the opposite where it rarely every ran without some cryptic and useless crash pop up info ... what the hell is 'appcrash'

So in a way, I've seen more of an improvement in Windows since the update to 10(from 7).
    No other issues in my other main software FF, CaptureNX2, ViewNX2, Excel(I never use any of the other Office stuff). PC boots at the same 'slowly' pace as it did on Win7. Login screen is faster, but time to ready to actually do something is effectively the same.
    While it's appears to load onto the desktop quicker, behind the scenes Win10 is loading some processes or drivers under the guise of being ready to go, but you go to do some thing/process .. and it doesn't(until it's done doing it's stuff).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently working through a lot of advice re: my Win10 desktop pc....

A wise AP member (thanks Arthur ) suggested that one thing to check is the storage mode used. He also suggested that I not change anything. LOL... I listened... but ignored with the best of intentions .

Came across an issue after changing from 'IDE' mode to 'AHCI' mode.
    A reboot and "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error message.

Did a search online and found that this happens after a Win10 upgrade.
    Found this solution posted...
    http://www.tenforums.com/performance...tallation.html

Will give it a go and see if the AHCI mode helps with my speed issues.
    But thought I'd post in this thread to offer a link for any that may come across the same issue.

Will update my Desktop pc thread later with progress and results when I can.
    Last edited by JDuding; 03-11-2015 at 12:46pm.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get a mobo manual with the computer ?

If not, I'd suggest you download one ASAP, otherwise you are just stumbling around in the dark.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Did you get a mobo manual with the computer ?

If not, I'd suggest you download one ASAP, otherwise you are just stumbling around in the dark.

No... will hunt one down now.

Also to note... Changing the mode from IDE to AHCI seems to have sped things up another second quicker.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update notice.jpg

Well how rude, how bloody arrogant and self important can you get.

The self-appointed computer God, aka Microsoft, has decided that it is so powerful, and so much in control of your computer that it no longer needs to identify itself.

Well hello Microsoft, I like to think that in this age of hackers and scammers I can still exercise some control over who I invite to play with the inner workings of my computer.

W7, and most previous OS gave you the option of viewing available updates and choosing when, and if, to download them. This was particularly useful for me as I'd unknowingly bought a developers copy of Office which MS verified and subsequently froze on my system. It still offered Service Packs and Updates for the dud program, and as I was on a tight internet download plan I was able to refuse them.

The above pictured pop-up basically froze my computer till I either scheduled the download or restarted my computer. As I wasn't sure if it actually was from MS, as they didn't bother to identify themselves, I did a hard re-set and the hidden updates magically downloaded and installed themselves.

OK, I guess I can see where MS hope to go with W10. If they force everyone onto W10 they only have one OS to worry about and will have less problems if they force updates on those too lazy or uninformed to do the updates themselves.

To quote George Orwell's words from '1984'

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

Big Brother is watching you.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they have computers in "1984". I remember they had lots of TV screens everywhere.
    Time you wrote the sequel, Kev...

1984 - 2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Did they have computers in "1984". I remember they had lots of TV screens everywhere.
    I bought my first computer, a Commodore Amiga, in the mid 80's.

It had no hard-drive, only a floppy drive, and 1MB of memory. I added another floppy drive and an extra 1MB of external plug-inn memory and it fairly flew, sorta.

Everything was done with floppys and I remember I had a game called 'Monkey Island' that as you moved through it you had to keep changing floppy discs.

I went really high tech in the late 80's and upgraded to a model with a 40MB hard drive. WooHoo

Oh, and it used a windows type OS as opposed to the IBM machines of the day that were DOS command systems.

Ah, the good old days.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my first computer, a Commodore Amiga, in the mid 80's. <snip>
    Bah! Modern technology. This is where I started: http://www.farnik.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Retro_Computing
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knowwem well. Still got 2 - in the shed somewhere - and before that the C=64 and the C=128.
    Top machines - in their day. Still got one and two, resp, of them. What a hoarder collector I am

Yes, and do you remember when the C=64 - yes, even - had the Graphical "E" (can't remember the E meaning) Operating System?
    It was called GEOS 64 ( I had GEOS 128). You could navigate with those clunky joysticks and "drag-and-drop" icons onto the
    printer or Waste-bin icons... What you could do with 64 KB of RAM!!!

Ahh! You're right.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: A brief diversion for reminiscing
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-11-2015 at 3:32pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my first computer, a Commodore Amiga, in the mid 80's.

It had no hard-drive, only a floppy drive, and 1MB of memory. I added another floppy drive and an extra 1MB of external plug-inn memory and it fairly flew, sorta.

Everything was done with floppys and I remember I had a game called 'Monkey Island' that as you moved through it you had to keep changing floppy discs.

I went really high tech in the late 80's and upgraded to a model with a 40MB hard drive. WooHoo

Oh, and it used a windows type OS as opposed to the IBM machines of the day that were DOS command systems.

Ah, the good old days.
    I remember, when working at a TAFE College in Sydney in the early 1980's, the Science teachers being very excited with the Dept's new computer - a 40mb. hard drive AND word processor.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast