User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  109
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you can also drag files into docked icons to have them activated too? Even if the functionality isn't exactly the same as OSX (and I haven't used Window's method to its fullest to see what it can do), it's still there, plus so much more in general. Generally speaking, I can agree that Apple does have some great systems, Windows is just more user friendly.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Getting used to OSX (or any OS) takes at least a couple of weeks because you still work in the context of how you understand the previous way of working.

For example, in Windows, if you want to send a file to someone you right click and select File - Send to. It frustrated me that OSX didn't have this functionality until someone told me I could just drag the file to the Mail or Outlook icon on the dock and it would open an email with the file attached. Same functionality, different way of doing it but because you are thinking of how Windows works while using OSX, you think OSX is worse. You have to unlearn that and it takes a couple of weeks to understand that the Windows way isn't necessarily a better way, it's just a different way.
    Agree. My new workplace has a mix of Apple and PC, and it is now 8 weeks in and I still have trouble remembering how Apple does it. Simple things like clicking on an item, then hitting the delete button...does nothing on the Mac. To me it seems it is (as you said) more about drag-n-drop functionality, than keyboard or mouse clicks. There is good and bad to both, but for me, familiarity around M$ and Windoze, and how to fix things (read friends and family who manage to 'break' their computers), I still prefer Windoze cause I can delve into the OS, or pull the unit apart and do repairs. I really do not like the closed off aspects of Mac. Takes me all of 5 mins to swap out and upgrade memory in a PC or laptop, yet on a Mac you have to take it to an Apple tech (as far as I can tell).

I am still finding Win 10 very stable, have not found anything that does not work, or want to play, with the new OS.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My W10 Pro upgrade has also being running without any major gliches for about 7 weeks.

Likes: The fact that it was a reasonably painless learning curve in the changeover from W7 Pro and all my soft/hardware seems to be running as previously.

Hates: - MS have removed the ability to be only notified of Updates and instead install them automatically meaning that they can pretty much get into your OS whenever they wish.
    - Spider Solitaire can now only be played online with an occasional pop-up to buy something
    Last edited by Cage; 30-10-2015 at 1:55pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    My W10 Pro upgrade has also being running without any major gliches for about 7 weeks.

Likes: The fact that it was a reasonably painless learning curve in the changeover from W7 Pro and all my soft/hardware seems to be running as previously.

Hates: - MS have removed the ability to be only notified of Updates and instead install them automatically meaning that they can pretty much get into your OS whenever they wish.
    - Spider Solitaire can now only be played online with an occasional pop-up to buy something
    Mine was initially painless but ended up very painful. 2 reinstalls later, having to reindex multiple times and having Office being less stable than Zimbabwe's economy didn't help. The primary purpose for using it was the OneNote stylus integration and that is intermittent at best in Office 2016. It misses random keystrokes.

What worries me is that this was on MS's own hardware so if they can't be bothered to QA their own hardware properly, what likelihood do other suppliers have. It seems like a lucky packet where my Mac upgrades have been flawless to date. The new Surface Book and SP4 have also been plagued by issues so it seems they have a lot to learn for hardware that is more expensive than Apple. The Surface Book sells for $1000 more than the top of the range Macbook Pro 15" which has a quad core.

My solution now is to run Windows virtualised when I need it for business.

I wrote a Dear John letter to Microsoft. It wasn't pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Simple things like clicking on an item, then hitting the delete button...does nothing on the Mac.
    Command (CMD) + Delete
    is what you need.
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has been a very interesting read thanks to all the contributors.

Now, a quick question. Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying pop ups on 3 'puters telling us to get a free upgrade to win 10?

Going by the latest notification it would appear that 100 million lucky persons have availed themselves of the opportunity to grab the os for nix but it all reminds me of the maccas advertising a few decades ago where they proudly proclaimed that they had served over 50 million burgers ( or a figure along those lines ) and it wasn't long before posters were everywhere featuring the same graphics as the ad but with slightly altered text. It went along the lines of ---- over 50 million burgers served, 30 million eaten and 10 million digested.

I am sure that plenty of people need to keep up with technology and employ the latest operating systems, particularly those in business who rely on such stuff to keep the money rolling in. Then there would be those who like to have the latest ( and greatest ) tech at their disposal and have the luxury of being able to spend the time and their knowledge to get to know it inside out and are able to fix bugs they encounter during the process of learning the new software.

I am now quite happy to not even have attempted the huge download, especially on our 2 cans and a string 'net connection which would habve left me with no disk, a seemingly not quite right package that will undoubtedly require quite a few updates over the coming months to fix and most importantly I would probably have been left with my preferred editing software not operating.

Seeing as the editing machine was overdue for replacement and the desktop I use for everyday stuff suffered a PSU failure recently we had 2 machines built to bring us back to current day gear. Well, all went swimmingly with reinstalling the copy of win 7 pro and all associated software on the editing machine and because the everyday pc was a 32 bit machine running 7 home I bought another 7 pro disk to run on that.
    Now we have the 3 desktops in the house all running the same system, negligible downtime and no software compatibility issues which of course lends itself to a stress free life.

Win 10? Yep, I might be ready for it in around 5 years.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    ...MS have removed the ability to be only notified of Updates and instead install them automatically meaning that they can pretty much get into your OS whenever they wish...
    Read your comment and had to go check my setup. I'd forgotten to turn the update service off.
    So thanks for the heads up.

What I did was disable the Windows Update service completely.
    This means that I will need to re-enable it if I ever want to update my system... but I can live with that.

I'm currently checking out what other services I can safely disable, without causing system instability.

I am disappointed with the new (second hand) desktop system I've just bought.
    My laptop was struggling with RAW image editing... so I had a local computer shop make me a system that would cope better.
    Found that the laptop was 9x quicker than this desktop that they built. Fully spewin.
    Took it back and they put in an i7 processor (free) and 16GB of 1600 RAM (expensive).
    Now my old slow laptop is only 4x quicker than the desktop.

I'm starting to think that it might be Win 10 that is slower than win 8?
    or the graphics card (1GB 650Mhz).

Will see if I can get a speed improvement from disabling unnecessary services first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    ...Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying pop ups on 3 'puters telling us to get a free upgrade to win 10? ...
    ...Win 10? Yep, I might be ready for it in around 5 years.

I did a quick search and one of the Windows updates might have installed the Windows 10 marketing task bar app.

There looks to be a few ways to disable it... but i haven't done it... so could only recommend googling and checking out the best solution for you.
    Last edited by JDuding; 30-10-2015 at 3:37pm.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying pop ups on 3 'puters telling us to get a free upgrade to win 10?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid...n-windows-7-8/

Quote Originally Posted by JDuding View Post
    Read your comment and had to go check my setup. I'd forgotten to turn the update service off.
    So thanks for the heads up.

What I did was disable the Windows Update service completely.
    This means that I will need to re-enable it if I ever want to update my system... but I can live with that.

I'm currently checking out what other services I can safely disable, without causing system instability.

My laptop was struggling with RAW image editing... so I had a local computer shop make me a system that would cope better.
    Found that the laptop was 9x quicker than this desktop that they built. Fully spewin.
    Took it back and they put in an i7 processor (free) and 16GB of 1600 RAM (expensive).

Will see if I can get a speed improvement from disabling unnecessary services first.
    Did your laptop not have solid state as a drive? that would make a massive difference. Solid state is typically 5-10x faster than normal hard drives. A normal hard drive runs at about 80MB per second. A SATA 3 hard drive (older style) runs at 600MB per second. A PCIE hard drive found in the newer laptops like the Surface Book or Macbook Pro 15 has 4 channels of PCIE 3.0 and can read at 2GB per second. To put that into perspective, if you open Adobe Photoshop which is a about 1GB, it takes 0.5-1 second for a solid state to load the application while a old style spindle drive will take 10 seconds.

This may not seem relevant to RAW processing, but the write speed is also effected by the drive so an old style drive will take longer to write.

Graphics cards can make a difference though so without comparing the specs or models of your old vs new machine, it's difficult to know where the problem is.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I build my own computers from scratch and thus avoid the crap that the friendly local computer shop unloads on you.

Do you have a full run down on the specs on your 'new' computer including model nos on all the hardware?
    There could be incompatible parts or maybe just tired parts. If not, download CPU-Z which will give you most of the specs.

I'm sure someone here can have a look and point you in the right direction.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are droves of I7 processors. Do a check of your model and see how it rates at the MS site (somewhere--I've forgotten where).
    Nor are all SSDs as flash as their memory type implies. They could have made/sold you a bucket of bolts And speaking for two types of
    external "spindle" type drives, the WD 1TB Passport and the Toshiba Canvio 1TB (equivalent) both USB3, both read/write as fast as my laptop's SSDs,
    ie, quite well, thank you very much. I get about 100MBytes/sec. (Did you read bytes?).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The laptop is an AMD (HP)... the desktop is intel.

The desktop has the C drive as a SSD and the E drive (HDD) for storing files.
    I did see some speed improvement when I used the RAW file from the C drive... about 20% faster.

I don't think the laptop has a SSD... but would have to check to be sure.
    Just looked up the graphics card for the laptop... this could be it.
    AMD Radeon HD 7640G + HD 7670M Dual Graphics. 655/600Mhz.

Still would have hoped for more from the desktop.

I was going to start a thread about it yesterday... but was fuming and couldn't type a coherent rant, let alone a constructive comment.

Feeling a bit better today.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS on an unrelated matter to your problem: I got 2GB RAM for $20 today to replace the modest 1GB stick in my
    little old EEE netbook which runs an Atom processor. It can't take any more RAM as there's only 1 slot and it's DDR2

Next stop: Win 10 for this netbook At present it has Win 7 Starter.

- - - Updated - - -

Give that desktop to a relative for browsing the net and.... (you know what I'm going to say - but seriously)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I don't think it's that graphics card.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-10-2015 at 4:46pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input @all... I will start a separate thread regarding my wise'less Desktop purchase... so not to derail this Win 10 thread too much
    Last edited by JDuding; 30-10-2015 at 5:05pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, since you have started the other thread, here's a WIN 10 experience for this one.

Once upon an operating system there was something called a "Windows Experience Indicator".
    It came out in Win Vista, lived through Win7, and got "buried" though it's not dead for Win 8 and now Win 10.

Basically it lets you see the "performance" of the computer subsystems.

Win 7 cameo:
    If you have Win 7 and DON'T know about it, try it out by...
    1. Right-click "Computer" icon.
    2. Click "Properties".
    3. Look for the section headed "System" and then "Rating"
    4. Note the rating number shown, and then do another test by clicking on the hyperlink labelled "Windows Experience Index"
    5. Gloat, or otherwise, over your results.

Now for (apparently Win 8.x and certainly) Win 10 you can't do it with this easy method.
    You either do it from the DOS command line (and a host of other truck-driving manoeuvres), or you install
    a 3rd party program to replicate what WIn 7 had. That program is called "ChrisPC Win Experience Indicator".
    You can find it here, and it is free.

It will install on an external drive, and when you check out the T&Cs you can accept the first lot and decline (as I did because it gathered info) the 2nd lot.

AND ANOTHER THING: I do NOT succumb to any inducements to boost performance by installing anything else as they recommend.

Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-10-2015 at 6:12pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The desktop has the C drive as a SSD and the E drive (HDD) for storing files.
    I did see some speed improvement when I used the RAW file from the C drive... about 20% faster.

For the quoted speed difference, is that for all computer related stuff, or mainly for photo editing speed issues.

Like MissionMan said, HDD's play an important role for some things, but not so much for other stuff.

If your speed difference reference is (say) for gaming ... then obviously the graphics card will make a difference.
    But for photo editing, the graphics card make little difference.
    Where you can eke out some extra speed in raw/tiff editing is in having a fast HDD, a large cache(for the software to use) .. you already have more than enough RAM.
    The HDD on your desktop .. what model is it.
    While MM mentioned that a HDD can run at 80Mb/s, and I tend to favour the 100-120MB/s models!! .. .. you should note that some of the cheaper(and greener) HDDs can really only run at 50MB/s or less. I have WD 'Green' model it it's speed simply sucks!(there's no other word for it other than crapola!)
    It's top speed is about 35-40MB/s.
    Place any raw files(or large tiff files) on it and and watch it slow down every raw software like molasses .. in winter! Unbearable stuff.
    But the difference in operating speed when those files are served from the 120MB/s Seagate drive is incredible to watch.

I don't do gaming .. so can't help if that is an issue for 'ya.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    For the quoted speed difference, is that for all computer related stuff, or mainly for photo editing speed issues.

Like MissionMan said, HDD's play an important role for some things, but not so much for other stuff.

If your speed difference reference is (say) for gaming ... then obviously the graphics card will make a difference.
    But for photo editing, the graphics card make little difference.
    Where you can eke out some extra speed in raw/tiff editing is in having a fast HDD, a large cache(for the software to use) .. you already have more than enough RAM.
    The HDD on your desktop .. what model is it.
    While MM mentioned that a HDD can run at 80Mb/s, and I tend to favour the 100-120MB/s models!! .. .. you should note that some of the cheaper(and greener) HDDs can really only run at 50MB/s or less. I have WD 'Green' model it it's speed simply sucks!(there's no other word for it other than crapola!)
    It's top speed is about 35-40MB/s.
    Place any raw files(or large tiff files) on it and and watch it slow down every raw software like molasses .. in winter! Unbearable stuff.
    But the difference in operating speed when those files are served from the 120MB/s Seagate drive is incredible to watch.

I don't do gaming .. so can't help if that is an issue for 'ya.

Hi Arthur,

This desktop will be a dedicated photo and video editing machine.

I have two storage devices installed.
    One is a 1TB HDD and used only for storing the image files.
    The other is an SSD (solid state drive) (like an over sized USB memory stick).
    This SSD has Win10 and the software installed on it.
    I did see nearly 30% improvement when I put the image file on it as well when testing.

The SSD runs pretty quick... no moving bits... I'm not sure what brand I have installed... but a Kingston 120GB runs at read/write speeds of 497/166 MBps... so I have ruled the drive out as being the bottleneck.

I will look to see if Win10 has the power setting for the CPU running at 100%. I didn't check earlier, as it isn't a laptop.

I'll check back in later... off to work.
    Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by JDuding; 31-10-2015 at 6:17am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's getting worse. Much worse: How Microsoft will cram Windows 10 even harder down your PC's throat early next year New OS will be 'recommended' automatic update http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10...ws_10_updates/
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    It's getting worse. Much worse: How Microsoft will cram Windows 10 even harder down your PC's throat early next year New OS will be 'recommended' automatic update http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10...ws_10_updates/
    Ouch.

I've been clicking that free upgrade to Windows 10 message popping up from time to time on my Surface Pro 3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was worried for a little while and then I realised they can't force a Windows 10 on a Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast