User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  109
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which card the corrupt images were from. There were 5,000 images on four cards. Explains why the bloody download took twelve hours though. I think I'll go back to Win 7 Ultimate on the desktop, but not today.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't wait any longer! Back on Win 7 and loving it. That Lexar Card Reader works fine again. No BSOD or boot-up loops! Good riddance Win 10.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm!
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I said it in an earlier reply.
    While it may well be Windows 10 at fault here, my suspicion is that it's most likely not!

There are so many devices in the chain from the CF card through to the final chip that translates the data onto the hard drives.

USB3 has known to be a problem on many windows installations, and while USB3 in geenral on Windows is well recognised, some chips in the USB3 chain are known to have issues.

I also have the Lexar USB3 CF/SD card reader and for most intents and purposes it works fine.
    The other devices I had on USB3 are:

1. Patriot super fast USB3 64G flash drive.
    2. USB3 generic hdd enclosure with my primary Seagate HDD photo backup storage device. 3T drive, 1.5Tb of images currently stored.
    3. USB3 NexStar docking station.

All 3 USB3 devices have caused me grief at some point.
    Under Win7 and a few issues in WIn10.

My biggest cause for concern was the docking station. Wouldn't transfer with a USB3 connection and most likely corrupted data after some time transferring data(I reckon).
    It'd transfer some data and then stop. Connecting to USB2 I could transfer many hundreds of Gb's .. but it was painfully slow .. sometimes a whole day or so.
    I got a USB3 docking station purely for the 'supposed' speed when transferring terabytes of data in a short time frame .. otherwise I'd have just bought a USB2 version for 1/4 the price.
    After many months of uninstalling/reinstalling devices drivers USB3 drivers, trying other USB3 drivers, I finally found the reason why.
    In the dockign station is a Serial to USB3 chip that converts from one interface type to the other(in this case from a SATA drive to a USB port.
    It was this useless chip's embedded driver(the firmware) that was the problem all along. Searched many sources for firmware, and one indeed existed on the devices website.
    Did what they said to do top update the firmware and no dice! .. same issue.
    Looked for other solutions, and found some .. try installing other firmware even tho they weren't the actual ones for the device.
    Some worked, but too slowly again(I know that this device can transfer at a sustained 125MB/s, but I'm getting more like USB2 speed again.
    Finally found another new firmware on the chip makers website(over a year later) and installed this new one too and bingo! .. USB3 transfer speeds(@ 125MB/s) over the full 1.5Tb of data I needed to transfer.

The issue here wasn't Windows, nor really NexStar(docking station manufacturer) but it was the SATA to USB chip makers fault all this time. FWIW, this chip maker is ... my most despised manufacturer! .. JMicron.
    All they make are the internal chips that translate one interface to another.
    Funnily, I began my hatred of their products even before this USB3 docking station issue, when I had a monumental effort to install the DVD reader/writer, which came from an ancient machine.
    The IDE port used to connect the DVD comes courtesy of a chip on the motherboard that comes from none other than JMicron. That chip once again caused the issue in getting a device that is so basic in it's installation such as an IDE device such as a DVD drive.

The sooner companies like JMicron (who make the unseen and underlying hardware devices interfaces) stop infiltrating PCs with crap hardware .. I reckon the better windows will be in the long run.

The other thing I've had some troubles with again is the USB3 device chip maker.
    I just happened to acquire an ASUS motherboard which happens to have a USB3 chip from a company called Renesas. It's an early version, and it has caused me no end of issue on an off.
    The most recent has been occasional dropouts of the USB3 system. That is, devices would suddenly and unexpectedly uninstall and then immediately reinstall themselves as the USB3 subsystem would come off line and then immediately online again.
    Renesas have been ok though as they updated drivers regularly for a while as issues became known .. and finally things all work fine now.
    I only just discovered tho that I've had 8 corrupted raw files in my archive since about 2012.. the last time those files were accessed. This is in a series of about 200 or so images, but the other files are perfectly preserved.
    I 'know' that this USB3 on/off issue caused this corruption at some point in the past.
    Not too long after I finally had my Renesas USB3 driver issues sorted that I noticed that ASUS have switched their supplier of USB3 chips(and some other's that I've noted) from JMicron to Asmedia instead.(I wonder why

My last USB3 issue, was my Patriot Xt USB thumb drive. Just didn't want to be seen one day, for no good reason. Unplugged it/plugged it numerous times, uninstalled USB3 drivers .. etc. and my initial thoughts as per usual is bloody Windows!
    But yet again .. and I SHOULD have known better(AGAIN!) .. it had nothing to do with windows, and everything to do with this particular model from Patriot. a quick search found me with a new firmware for this exact issue, downloaded run and fixed in about 30sec!

Moral of the story .. yeah! we all want our Windows machine to run like a swiss watch, and in general it probably actually does.
    With hardware, it's almost certainly not a fault of Windows, but a driver or a firmware issue from the slack @$$ed manufacturer that can't be bothered to keep up with the issues they create.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USB Card reader worked fine last week Arthur. Win 10 updated some files on the weekend, and it stopped working on the one machine and continued working on the other.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing what motherboards both those machines have, and hence what USB3 chipset, driver and firmware they use .. the issue isn't simply one of Windows stuffed up my card reader.
    The question is with three to five other subsets involved in the total system .. something else is most likely the culprit.

I think of it this way.

Your laptop with Win10 works fine with the card reader(I'm assuming we both have the same CF/SD Lexar USB3 reader?) .. and so do my desktop and tablet.
    So Windows 10 and Lexar card reader do work., as proved by 3 of our 4 computer systems.
    Otherwise Lexar or M$ will likely release a new driver (or other fix) for an issue that would exist between those two systems.

My first port of call(when my brain is in gear, and I'm not instantly blaming Windows <X>) is to look at the other systems in the Lexar to Windows 10 chain (USB driver firmware/chipset) .. once I've exhausted those avenues .. then start blaming Windows again .

Somewhere in device manager you should be able to find out which USB3 chipset/driver your two PCs are using.
    Isolate those differences and start looking into that side of things.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been trying the Office 2016 preview and I would highly recommend avoiding it like the plague. It crashes more than a drunk on a unicycle

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've NEVVA seen a drunk ON a unicycle. One on the ground next to it a few times.

However, I will take you advice, MM, and stick to pen Office

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    STOP PRESS!

Today it was my turn. I opted to do an upgrade of Win 8.1.
    40 mins and it was over. So far so good. A couple of programs tested all
    work as before. The Desktop looks the same as before, but only the Task Bar
    icons look a bit too Lego-landish, but I suppose I'll get used to them, and they're
    small anyway. Dunno about this Cortana thing. Haven't used it yet...

Am(pleased enough so far).

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now waiting till I get my NBN up and running.

Apparently W10 doesn't like Telstra's wireless modem.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting waiting waiting...

Been in the Q for about 10 days, not in any rush though....

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forced the upgrade if you don't want to wait ... https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c..._eastern_time/

NB: If you want to do a clean install you MUST do the upgrade first and register that.
    When you do a clean install over that MS will have already registered the hardware signature and you will be licensed.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to make an install ISO image once you have upgraded http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...e-into-an-iso/

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recommend a system disk cleanup before doing the upgrade;
    also do a system fix via an Admin level CMD prompt using "sfc /scannow" see: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the upgrade, forced it as I was sick and tired of getting the failed to install message, and then decided to do a clean install on a different hard drive that I had available. Downloaded the media tool and burnt the ISO. Running fine with no problems. Nice and simple I think I even managed to get my i1display calibrator to operate despite GretagMacbeth not offering drivers for it.
    I then bought a windows phone, running windows 8.1 phone, and much prefer it to the android that I was using.
    Must be ill.
    Last edited by agb; 31-08-2015 at 10:20am.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I bit the bullet too.

Obviously some big problems with my W7, start-up has blown out to two minutes or more, and 1/2 an hour the other day.

Seemed to load seamlessly, few minor differences , the 'Refresh' doovey has moved but all in all it went OK.

Telstra emailed me that my Bigpond connection manager didn't work with W10, but I'm online so go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.
    I jumped in the queue while my laptop was cleared to take the windows 10 download.
    Going off of my old school cable internet (Yes, I live 10mins out of Geelong and it's 2015, but somehow don't have decent internet on this side of the street)
    The download started around 7pm and finished sometime during the morning, maybe around 1am or something.
    The install was quick and all seemed well, until I tried using anything with sound.
    It's made the subwoofer in the laptop get very bad distortion. I have searched it and apparently it's a pretty common issue. I have turned the subwoofer slider all the way down and it works OK now, but now I have no bass. I just did an update on the sound drivers, so will see how that goes.
    Cheers, Travis

D750 | Tamron 90 Macro | Tamron 24-70

flickr | 500px

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope that's all. Mine's still OK. Another 3 machines.... eventually... to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. Update on the last post.

Updated the drivers on the sound and all seems to be working properly with the subwoofer turned on.

I'm running realtek on an Asus. I've heard of Asus and Sony machine having the problem, not sure if that is all or not.

PS. Love the windows 10 look better than Windows 8.1. You can actually use the calculator with a screen in the background instead of the calculator taking up the whole screen

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any sound at all.

Better look at updating the drivers.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast