Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  109
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionica View Post
    I remember, when working at a TAFE College in Sydney in the early 1980's, the Science teachers being very excited with the Dept's new computer - a 40mb. hard drive AND word processor.
    I bet the word processor was Word Perfect... I still remember one of my lecturers at Monash University telling me I had to learn Word Perfect because it had 80% of the market. I wanted to use Word for Windows and Excel. They made me use Lotus 1-2-3 too. I started using old XT computers and the original Apple McIntoshes. Thought I was king of the world when I got my first 386 with 4MB of RAM.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Bah! Modern technology. This is where I started: http://www.farnik.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Retro_Computing
    Hmm! A bit "furver" back than me, Kym. I had Fortran 77 in the late 80s and then Various BASICs, although some of our interfaces were just printers.
    We didn't always have a VDU (remember that?) - and weren't those swishly integrated with the computer and keyboard. [/a bearded ancient icon]
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah! Modern technology. This is where I started: http://www.farnik.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Retro_Computing
    My first exposure to computing was in the late 50's. I was a junior auditor and one of the clients used the card punch system for their sales summary.

I was working for the NRMA in the early sixties and was selected to do a computing aptitude test. I didn't pass, might be something to do with the fact I'd been away for the weekend as pit crew for a motor racing friend and arrived back in Sydney about two hours before the test, not completely sober.

When I bought the Commodore I'd seen a friends set-up and another friend said I should seriously have a look at his IBM. I rocked up to his place and was fronted by a blank screen with a blinking cursor. When I asked how it worked he handed me a bunch of typed foolscap sheets with about a zillion DOS commands. The Commodore was a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Cage; 03-11-2015 at 5:10pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Attachment 121226

Well how rude, how bloody arrogant and self important can you get.

The self-appointed computer God, aka Microsoft, has decided that it is so powerful, and so much in control of your computer that it no longer needs to identify itself.

Well hello Microsoft, I like to think that in this age of hackers and scammers I can still exercise some control over who I invite to play with the inner workings of my computer.

W7, and most previous OS gave you the option of viewing available updates and choosing when, and if, to download them. This was particularly useful for me as I'd unknowingly bought a developers copy of Office which MS verified and subsequently froze on my system. It still offered Service Packs and Updates for the dud program, and as I was on a tight internet download plan I was able to refuse them.

The above pictured pop-up basically froze my computer till I either scheduled the download or restarted my computer. As I wasn't sure if it actually was from MS, as they didn't bother to identify themselves, I did a hard re-set and the hidden updates magically downloaded and installed themselves.

OK, I guess I can see where MS hope to go with W10. If they force everyone onto W10 they only have one OS to worry about and will have less problems if they force updates on those too lazy or uninformed to do the updates themselves.

To quote George Orwell's words from '1984'
    Have you switched off the MS Torrent update that sends out updates from your machine to other users when you aren't using your connection?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have, even though I have a stand alone set-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good start.
    My first computing experience was with an Olivetti Programmer 101...there has been a very good TV program about it "The machine that changed the world" I think. That was the precursor to the PC. This was at SAIT.
    At the same time we also used the big CDC 6400 (?) mainframe at Adelaide Uni.
    Used Olivetti's own language on the 101 and Fortran IV on the CDC.
    Later progressed to the BBC micro (Acorn) which had some pretty smart features, and a nice Basic language.
    I recall Acorn invented Econet, a network system for the BBC micro, and one day they had a visitor from the USA (a Mr Gates) and were telling him about the network. It has been alleged that his big question was "what's a network?".
    It's linux these days.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Yes, I have, even though I have a stand alone set-up.
    It doesn't matter if you aren't on a network. If you read the wording they send out updates to other users on the internet as well. Dodgy as.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDuding View Post

Did a search online and found that this happens after a Win10 upgrade.
    Found this solution posted...
    http://www.tenforums.com/performance...tallation.html

Will give it a go and see if the AHCI mode helps with my speed issues.
    That inability to boot issue will happen on any operating system .. it's not a Win 10 issue.

In as few words as I can muster .. basically doing that(without doing the registry change first) borks your OS.
    So the process is to first change the registry setting, and THEN change the mobo from IDE mode to AHCI mode .. all is then good(simply because of the reboot process order)

Anyhow .. looks like another reason to use Win10 instead of Win7.
    Doing that(IDE mode change in Win7 stuff up your system, and a reinstall is about the best way forward from there. There are recovery options I think tho .. but it didn't work for me

I'll try to do some performance testing for 'ya JD .. and see how much difference I get in CNX-D using a slow HDD and a faster HDD as the source location for the actual raw files.
    (I'll post anything of value in your other thread tho).
    Last edited by arthurking83; 03-11-2015 at 9:59pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Experience Index (WEI)

This was first mentioned in Post 215 of this thread.

Recap: Win 7 and Win Vista had a handy computer performance indicator built in. It was
    accessed and displayed when you did a Right-click on the My Computer Icon.

They removed easy access to the feature in Win 8 and Win 10, but the performance calculator
    is still there. You now access it in either of two ways - a manual and an easier graphical way.

Both these ways are described in this video here.

Ultimately (though a while back) I installed the "Chris" method, but I gave the manual method a whirl
    this morning.

Added: The reason for this was to see how I could check the performance of laptops on display in stores without
    having to install anything (obviously not allowed) on them.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: And mentioned somewhere else...

Don't forget to copy Clipboard.exe from Win XP and put it into the System32 folder of 8 or 10.
    (And make a handy link to it on the Desktop.)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 04-12-2015 at 12:32pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Am.

I had forgotten about the WEI.

I try to minimise the extra software on my 'puter so I went the Command Prompt way.

Command Prompt: winsat formal -restart (yes, use the spaces)

Takes a minute or so, then go to File Explorer > Local Disc C: > Windows > Performance > Win Sat > DataStore > Formal Assessment

This is the result. I think mine has improved a tad since switching to W10.
    Performance Assess 4-12-2015.jpg
    Last edited by Cage; 04-12-2015 at 5:40pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Have you tried ChrisPC?

Anyway, what sort of a rocket are you running!!??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Yep. Have you tried ChrisPC?

Anyway, what sort of a rocket are you running!!??
    Nothing too flash.

- AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU running standard @ 3.2GHz
    - Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    - ATI Radeon HD 5750 GPU
    - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM @ 1333MHz

I did have the CPU running at 4.0GHz and the RAM at 1600MHz but my prime BIOS spat the dummy and switched to the back-up BIOS. I intend to flash the original BIOS and re-do the settings, but as my system is chugging along well enough for my needs it's not a priority. If it 'aint broke, don't fix it hey.

PS: I did try the ChrisPC tool and it came up with exactly the same results as MS did.
    Last edited by Cage; 04-12-2015 at 7:38pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an "upgrade":
    Did the 6th upgrade to Win 10 today. - A friend's Core 2 Duo machine on Win 7.
    Took 1hr 40m from Go to Whoa. Not too bad for slowish HDD. My SSD machine
    still holds the record at 50 mins

Results: not a hitch. Even the face recognition login verification still worked. Only change
    was that it did not flash the "camera on" light during operation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an "upgrade":
    Did the 6th upgrade to Win 10 today. - A friend's Core 2 Duo machine on Win 7.
    Took 1hr 40m from Go to Whoa. Not too bad for slowish HDD. My SSD machine

Results: not a hitch. Even the face recognition login verification still worked. Only change
    was that it did not flash the "camera on" light during operation.
    I think it's now been out long enough that its stabilised.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it has been stable since this horse bolted.
    I don't know what, but I have not had a worse problem than one incompatible driver on the little ole Netbook (I mentioned elsewhere in this long thread). That took a few minutes to fix.
    So that makes it... well, from last August, and as mentioned, the 6th one today. (Got another tomorrow)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it has been stable since this horse bolted.
    I don't know what, but I have not had a worse problem than one incompatible driver on the little ole Netbook (I mentioned elsewhere in this long thread). That took a few minutes to fix.
    So that makes it... well, from last August, and as mentioned, the 6th one today. (Got another tomorrow)
    We have a number of Surface Pro 3's and Surface Pro 4's. Stability was absolutely dismal from day one, so much so that we stopped buying them for our consultants. They have finally settled down and become less problematic in the last two weeks, but Microsoft's failure to even respond to our complaints (we received no response from Microsoft in 3 months despite asking them numerous times) resulted in us dumping the Microsoft hardware permanently.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've learnt to live with W10, other than what I consider to be an attempt to take total control of my personal space by Microsoft.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... My SSD machine

I got you beat there champ!
    I'm slowly building a couple of barebones PCs for my sister over the next few weeks.
    Did one the other day, and took about 3 hours to do the complete build .. AND have a booted up system.
    I think the Win10 install itself only took a few minutes .... 15mins max!
    Didn't time it properly, but it was during making dinner and I was surprised at how quick it all went.

Problem I had was in getting a cheap 'n' nasty case with PSU .. very cheap.
    The cheapest case without PSU cost more than the cheap case with PSU!
    But the PSU was useless(wrong type) .. didn't know this when I got it as there were no details .. and to get the system up and running I had to go back out and get another PSU.

The other issue with the cheap'n'nasty case was that the motherboard staunchions(keep the motherboard off the case chassis) were all useless and loose fitting on the chassis itself.
    So to stop them from freely rotating I had to glue them down.

So considering the troubles I had with that one, I'd say the next PC to be built should take about an hour all up.

What surprised me is how quickly installing drivers has been.
    PC takes about 15 sec to reboot, and any installs(drivers, software etc) are super quick.

I'm getting her to try(trial) as much free/open software as possible, so I installed Thunderbird and OO instead of M$ Office.

ps. it was actually Office that prompted the quick build too.
    We've been planning all this for a while, and had both a budget in mind and a timeframe to do it all.
    As the PC's are for a business, and one of them is absolutely critical in terms of usage and stability, gave myself a long time frame and changeover period to do it, but the other day she got a virus(actually ransomware) on the Office PC that killed all of her office files(xls's and doc's) and encrypted them.
    Luckily she had a backup of a few critical files, but many old files got locked, and we thought easier to dump the PC than to try to clean it out .. so new PC was built for her to use in the office first.

My only problem with having done this now, is that it's put me under pressure to build myself a new PC too ..... so envious of how much quicker it was than mine.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 mins, eh!
    For sure OO, but I passed on T'bird.
    AFA names go, "Firefox" is about the limit of incongruity for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Arthur,

If there's one thing I've learnt from fifteen years of building my own computers, it is not to skimp on the PSU.

PS: And even though I've learnt to live with W10, I'm still a long way from loving it.
    Last edited by Cage; 26-03-2016 at 10:44am.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast