Thread: MS Windows 10 - anybody?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrade #7 today. A Tsh Notebook, Core I5 2.5GHz, and
    hITCHless, but for the 2.5 hours it took.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My computer upgraded by itself today!!

I dread to say it, but so far so good.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    My computer upgraded by itself today!!

I dread to say it, but so far so good.
    Cmmiserations, Lance - that the expected dreads have not yet arrived

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it will probably ALL be alright

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    @ Arthur,

If there's one thing I've learnt from fifteen years of building my own computers, it is not to skimp on the PSU.

As with anything really.

For last personal build, I did exactly that.
    Skimped a little on the case and PSU, and put the extra money(considerable too) in more RAM and HDD's

The case I did get(as opposed to would have preferred to have got) was a non name brand called Aerocool. Very cheap combo(about $30-40 if I remember right).
    I usually prefer Antec's stuff .. very nice cases and quality PSU's .. but that was over $150 more in total price ... I preferred to put that money into more RAM and HDD

Anyhow, the case was the worst I've had to put together, in terms of actually placing HDDs into their so called slots.
    I'd like to say that whoever designed it must have been blind drunk or something. But it obviously wasn't designed at all, and looks to be more 'randomly cobbled' together rather than 'designed'.

Next time back to Antec for sure as I love the way they design their products.

But the $40ish case and PSU I had to limit myself too .. the PSU is still going fine after so many years. The fan makes a noise for a few short seconds, has been for a while now.
    But it then shuts itself up and then just purrs along.
    That PC came into existence back in '09 .. so it's done pretty well .. especially considering the power hungry needs of an AMD CPU!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Also running it on my Surface Pro 3. Working very well. A massive improvement on Windows 8 which was dismal.
    Going by the tsunami of annoyance Windows 8 causes , I think MS-DOS would be an improvement

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Next time back to Antec for sure as I love the way they design their products.

That PC came into existence back in '09 .. so it's done pretty well .. especially considering the power hungry needs of an AMD CPU!
    My last two builds have been in Antec cases, the most recent with some flash blue LED lighting around the front fans.

And if my memory serves me correctly you are also using the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE, which I had happily chugging away at 4.0MHz without a hiccup, till my BIOS shat itself and switched to the alternate BIOS that Gigabyte thoughtfully provided. After ten years using Asus mobos I switched to Gigabyte and couldn't be happier.

And that reminds me that I have to flash the corrupted BIOS, a task that I always approach with more than a little dread and trepidation.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoke too soon. My output files from Capture One Pro 9 are corrupted somehow and I get all sorts of strange looking files when i try to open them up in Adobe Bridge and then in Photoshop.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Capture One Pro 9 and uninstalled- and re-installed Adobe Bridge and Photoshop, still the same. Sigh. Why can't these things just work as advertised.
    Last edited by Lance B; 28-03-2016 at 9:18pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coubbe a different issue than Win 10. Have you tracked it down to anything in particular?

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Coubbe a different issue than Win 10. Have you tracked it down to anything in particular?
    I have tried saving to a different hard drive and as I stated in my re-edited post above I have uninstalled and re-installed Capture One Pro 9 and uninstalled- and re-installed Adobe Bridge and Photoshop, still the same.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a setting in Capture One that needed to be altered, why I don't know as I have never touched this setting previously on any of the COP versions and it wasn't altered prior to WIndows 10 upgrade. I posted a request for help on the Capture One forum and a forum member suggested I try altering this setting and it worked. I had to alter "Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL for)" from "Auto" to "Never", why I have no idea. Anyway, all seems good now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... I had to alter "Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL for)" from "Auto" to "Never", why I have no idea. Anyway, all seems good now.
    A strange anomaly with C1P, maybe.

I've loaded a few image editing/viewing programs on W10, including but not limited to CaptureNX2, ViewNX2, Lr 4(something), FSViewer and even Windows Photo Galley .. all holdovers from the W7 to W10 upgrade .. and no settings issues there.

As I upgraded from W7 to W10, I thought I'd try the Photoshop trial again for a month .. just to see if it'd give me that month again(already used up on W7) ..and it worked.
    All worked good, albeit slowly via ACR and Bridge again .. no problems(other than long wait times).

I'd say, as it's an Open CL/hardware acceleration related issue, then it probably had more to do with the graphics driver, than W10 itself!

Note that my PC uses the onboard graphics chip.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the plunge and upgraded my 7yr old PC to win10...

All seems to be ok so far... only Sim Golf, and Stronghold 2 don't work... Stronghold 2 complains that I'm running a too old version of windows... wants win98 or higher...

One thing I did notice is that "shutdown" and "reboot" do not do the same thing...

That is... in win7, if I installed a driver update, and windows wanted a reboot after but gave an option to reboot now, or reboot later, if (as usually happens) I didn't want to reboot now, but was going to be shutting down in half an hour, I wouldn't reboot, and just shutdown knowing that the update would complete next time I turn it on...

Not so, windows 10... the default for "shutdown" is a hybrid hybernate, where it exits all user programs, and then hybernates the kernel... this is TOTALLY different to a "reboot" which actually shuts down the kernel so that when it starts, the kernel has to reload all its drivers and rebuild all its memory structures.

The Hybrid hybernate shutdown doesn't cause the kernel to restart, so the driver requiring a restart doesn't get that restart, which is a real problem when you have a driver that does not handle the hybernate correctly... which is a valid reason for a driver update... but shutdown, then boot, (not a true reboot) and the driver crashes on the "restore from hybernate" and windows automatically rolls back the driver update that is supposed to correct that...

Moral is, if the system tells you it needs a reboot, make sure you do a reboot before you shutdown...
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    A strange anomaly with C1P, maybe.

I've loaded a few image editing/viewing programs on W10, including but not limited to CaptureNX2, ViewNX2, Lr 4(something), FSViewer and even Windows Photo Galley .. all holdovers from the W7 to W10 upgrade .. and no settings issues there.

As I upgraded from W7 to W10, I thought I'd try the Photoshop trial again for a month .. just to see if it'd give me that month again(already used up on W7) ..and it worked.
    All worked good, albeit slowly via ACR and Bridge again .. no problems(other than long wait times).

I'd say, as it's an Open CL/hardware acceleration related issue, then it probably had more to do with the graphics driver, than W10 itself!

Note that my PC uses the onboard graphics chip.
    Yes, it was the graphics driver. I uploaded the latest firmware and I can now use the Hardware Accelertaion. All good now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was the graphics driver. I uploaded the latest firmware and I can now use the Hardware Accelertaion. All good now.
    Thought so.
    I'm guessing is was Nvidia too .. only because I remember early on I had a problem with someone elses PC using an Nvidia graphics card/chip.
    It was when the W10 upgrade was still new/fresh .. and I can't recall whose PC or laptop it was .. but, a newly updated driver from Nvidia(do they really need 300+ mb for their drivers!? )

Apart from the odd stray driver here and there, I haven't really experienced any W10 upgrade issues like some others seem to have had.

TDJay .. interesting to hear about the shutdown/reboot thingy.

Didn't even cross my mind that shutdown would have been implemented that way, but makes perfect sense, as bootup would then be quicker as well.

The first 'PC' I was itching to update, was my Win tablet which originally had W7Pro, and having experienced Win8 as not very enticing on a lappy, I skipped as an upgrade.
    Being a tablet, it'd have benefited from Win8, but I didnt' like it to start with and then all the bad publicity came out about it.

So as soon I I'd heard about the W10 beta program I downloaded the beta version and installed it on my tablet.
    Have been running it since then on the tablet .. and it's now all it should have been when it was fresh and new.
    W7 on a tablet is a nightmare to use efficiently.
    W8 may have been nice, but W10 is in a word

And I have wondered why start ups have always seemed snappier .. makes sense now.
    ps. tablet has very meagre Atom CPU like hardware specs .. so you can imagine performance is not ideal. The only hardware spec I altered was a change from a diabolically tedious "1RPM" HDD to a much more usable SSD to give it some speed with W7. And of course the much nicer Killer WiFi card

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have been signed in with a temporary profile

This post is in this thread only because it happened in Win 10 for me, and the "fixes" relate to Win 10.

Late (that's important) last night I booted up a new lappy and was presented with a reduced number of icons
    on the desktop and nothing in Documents, Pictures, and another made up folder on the Desktop. After a hasty
    search of the usual folders I thought it best to do a virus scan. Nothing was reported. I shut down and felt
    disturbed at losing data - though only a bit over a couple of weeks - but that did not make me feel any better.

This afternoon I started it up again and "everything seemed to be proceeding OK with the User Name coming up and everything".
    But the screen balked and the reduced number of icons came up again. I then caught a glimpse of a message which read:
    "You have been signed in with a temporary profile."

Amazingly, that made me feel immediately hopeful, so I went down looking in C:\Users... and found the name of the default user profile.
    AND there were the lost folders!! Excited, I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and that also showed nothing. I re-started the machine - it seemed a
    good idea at the time but I had no real reason to do so - and BINGO! - The machine booted up normally and displayed the proper profile, folders, etc.

I learnt that there is a problem that began in ??Win7 that sometimes the normal profile would not be signed in. Here are some links to the Win 10 problem:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...51de633?auth=1
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...y-profile.html

Just FYI.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM, do you by any chance use a microsoft account to log in, or a local account?

I've always been reluctant to use a microsoft account for logins on home computers, as it means my access to my home computer becomes reliant on my internet connection.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. A local account. I shoudder specified that

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, then your problem isn't what I thought it might be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having attempted to upgrade my desktop twice already, only to be greeted with a System Exception error on both occasions, I finally managed to get the upgrade done. When it was finished, I was greeted with a large, black border around my screen and a crappy resolution. While everything else had been migrated over to Windows 10 successfully, my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660Ti graphics card did not. The problem, according to the report in the Device Manager, was that the Registry entries for the card were incomplete or missing. A re-installation of the drivers for the graphics card solved the problem and now everything is running smoothly and I've got all of my screen back.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moral of the story is that any upgrade is generally not a smooth affair, especially if you have a couple pf programs that are slightly out of the mainstream. I think I have mine working right now, but this is a tentative, "everythings working ok" type of statement. I am reasonably ok with software, not brilliant, but I can usually work things out, but what about those poor souls that have no idea?

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast