User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: A crazy possibly impossible idea - help please.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A crazy possibly impossible idea - help please.

What I'd like to do (as cheaply as possible).

Make a case for my FZ200 which looks 'old school' like a late 19th Century camera.

This would be for use at historic events.

The issues that would need to be addressed.

- Retaining access to the controls on the back and top of the camera (obviously including the shutter butter)
    - not impeding functionality. (Not sure How I get around the pop up flash issue)
    - disguising the lens to some extent.

It doesn't have to replicate a real camera specifically, just look as 'period' as possible. Obviously compromises will have to be made.

Any and all constructive suggestions are very welcome !

and remember... "I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong".
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an interesting project! I was at the Abbey Medieval Festival a couple of weekends back, and I thought the Security guys should have made their walkie-talkie microphones look like a lamb shank.

I'd start out making a prototype out of cardboard to see if you can get something roughly resembling the period camera your trying to look like that your camera fits inside.

Then you could start thinking about how to "mount" your camera inside the "case"

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to make most (if not all) your controls accessible. How accurate do you need it to look? does it need to stand up to close scrutiny, or does it just need to be able to look right at a glance/from a distance?
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For better assistance I'd suggest searching for an image of a camera you think will work & take it from there.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said its not going to be a particular camera - and a box brownie would work but a bit bland... something with 'bellows' on it always looks old school !

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    Like I said its not going to be a particular camera - and a box brownie would work but a bit bland... something with 'bellows' on it always looks old school !
    A bellows type will give you some flexibility to house the camera, maybe in foam. The lens set up will be tricky given the size of the FZ200 lens. Anyways, good luck with your project.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having difficulty coming up with an idea that will allow me to access all the relevant camera controls and hold it steadily as well. Hmmmm.