Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16

Thread: Olympus EM10 wifi

Ausphotography Regular Hunter50's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympus EM10 wifi

I have sent my EM10 to Olympus to repair the wifi connection. It has never worked since I bought the camera last year. Everything else with the camera is fantastic.

I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the wifi function on their Olympus camera. I am keen to get my camera back and give the wifi a go. I have been told Olympus technicians are very busy at the moment, so not sure when I'll get it back.

I am also interested to hear how you use the wifi function on your camera, do you use it? I want to be able to send photos to my phone, then upload them to Instagram etc. Is this what others do?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with wifi and cameras.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter50 View Post
    I have been told Olympus technicians are very busy at the moment, so not sure when I'll get it back.
    Not a good sign I reckon. It indicates to me that either Olympus don't employ enough staff to service their customers or that there are a shed load of prematurely faulty Olympus cameras out there. Maybe both -----

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter50 View Post
    I am also interested to hear how you use the wifi function on your camera, do you use it? I want to be able to send photos to my phone, then upload them to Instagram etc. Is this what others do?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with wifi and cameras.
    Sorry, can't help you there. Don't have a wifi ability with current cameras and for my needs the flow is --- memory card to computer, process, upload to printers and receive the finished product by courier.

I don't think that I can hang an instigram on the wall, could be wrong though.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering why you did not take the camera back to where you bought it from when you first noticed that problem, as they would have replaced it with a new one..

Sorry I don't use the WiFi as I have no need for it

The last time I sent my second E-M1 to Olympus for repair *My first one was replaced* it took four weeks for the repairs to be completed and sent back to where I bought it..

Working good now..

And if you reckon that is long time for repairs, my new Canon 7D MK11 took 8 weeks to have a part taken out and replaced.

That would have to be some kind of record where a person buys TWO new cameras in one year and THREE are Lemons

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an E-M10 and I've used the wi-fi quite successfully on one hand, but on the other .. with photos, if you shoot in jpeg, you can use the ap to move photos and do what you desire ... but if you shoot in raw .. it doesn't see the files ... so the choice is either shoot only in jpeg, shoot in both or don't use the ap for that function.

I do like being able to use my phone though to take photos with the camera on a tripod ... no movement, so that is cool, but I've only just gotten an iPhone which is the best featured for the ap ... I had a windows phone, entirely sucked, android tablet ... it was okay, but it is the iPhone that allows you to do everything, change your settings etc ... so I'm still new to playing with it, my only complaint would be having to shoot jpeg to use the file moving etc function.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Wi Fi on my Canon 50D when I'm staging a photo or want to compose something carefully. I control the camera from an android tablet, and it sends a copy of the photo wirelessly back to the tablet as well. It has been very reliable. Definitely not the fastest when it is sending 20 mb photos back - probably about 20 sec per photo, but I can tell the camera not to send the photos to the tablet if necessary.

Definitely not for use chasing active humans or animals, but for anything requiring good focus, fantastic. Has dramatically dropped the amount of photos I need to take, because it is easy to get the composition right looking at a 10" screen, compared to squinting at the back of a camera LCD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hunter50, I use wifi on my EM-1 for both remote triggering and also to pull photos onto the device into either Lightroom mobile or to upload / email elsewhere. I only shoot raw and have had no problems with doing the above. Personally I think it's a brilliant feature.

I do second Mary Anne's thoughts though. When I bought my EM-1 the guys were really clear the best option was to return to them so they can send it to Olympus and provide a loan unit or replace as they see fit.

HTH

Brenden
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mary Anne and Brendan, I have been back to the place where I bought my camera, and asked for help with the wifi. When they couldn't get it to work, they sent it back to Olympus for me.

Elly, I shoot raw and jpeg, so will be able to see the jpegs on my phone. However, as Farmmax says, it could take a while to transfer from camera to phone. Will have to give it go and see how long it takes.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am looking forward to having my camera back and being able to play with the wifi.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bconolly View Post
    I use wifi on my EM-1 for both remote triggering and also to pull photos onto the device into either Lightroom mobile or to upload / email elsewhere. I only shoot raw and have had no problems with doing the above. Personally I think it's a brilliant feature.
    Sorry to side track a little here.
    Hi Brenden, just wanting to clarify that you shoot RAW only but you're still able to pull a jpeg to your smartphone via wifi on the E-M1?
    If so, do you mind elaborating if you're able to choose a file size and roughly how long does it take per image?
    Sorry, being lazy here. I know I can find out myself but I've only had my E-M1 for a few days and have yet to delve into the features.
    Last edited by swifty; 22-07-2015 at 5:43pm.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swifty, have you used the wifi feature yet on your EM1?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hunter50, sorry not yet.
    I've literally only had it a few days but things are a little hectic so I won't have a lot of time to explore the camera in the near future.
    The E-M1's also really feature rich and customisable which means it will take a lot of time to test it out properly.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I understand. My EM10 has many features. That is half the fun in using and getting to know the camera.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked the EM1/12-40 bundle at end of year special a week or two ago. Very impressed so far! I loaded up the wi-fi app but mainly for remote shutter release & it worked sweet as straight up BUT some of the comments on the app store (Android) related to not working with older phone op systems. My phone had just updated prior to this so maybe I timed it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Sorry to side track a little here.
    Hi Brenden, just wanting to clarify that you shoot RAW only but you're still able to pull a jpeg to your smartphone via wifi on the E-M1?
    If so, do you mind elaborating if you're able to choose a file size and roughly how long does it take per image?
    Sorry, being lazy here. I know I can find out myself but I've only had my E-M1 for a few days and have yet to delve into the features.
    Hi Swifty,

Yes you are able to choose the file size. Here's a grab from the settings:

I used the default and it took about 5 mins for 100 photos. So I guess about 2 seconds an image at that size (very roughly).

If you need any other info let me know!

Brenden

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brendan, thanks for this useful info

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, good news. My camera has arrived back from Olympus and the wifi problem has been repaired. I was without my camera for 2.5 weeks. Now playing with the wifi to see how it works.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great news! Hopefully you will find the wifi as useful as I do

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)