User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Adobe Flash Player : Security Risk!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adobe Flash Player : Security Risk!

For those of you using Firefox, you may have seen a pop-up saying Firefox has disabled flash player from a website in the past couple of days.

Recently a HUGE security vulnerability was discovered in Adobe Flash Player. This vulnerability was quickly taken up by the hackers and incorporated into their arsenal of hacking tools. The vulnerability will allow a hacker access to fairly much your entire computer.

Mozilla (the makers of Firefox) took the unprecedented step of blocking Adobe Flash Player from working with their browser, to protect their users. Thus the message you may have seen if you used Firefox in recent days.

At this time, Mozilla and others are recommending that the BEST SOLUTION is to uninstall Adobe Flash Player from your computer completely.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...n_7793676.html

You can set Flash to run in Firefox if you still want to: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...k-play-firefox (USE AT OWN RISK)

Even Apple users are being advised to uninstall Flash. AppleInsider’s Shane Cole writes. “Though most exploits are targeted at Windows, Mac users are not invincible.” : http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...ac---heres-how

Adobe patched Flash a couple of days ago, but the exploit still exists: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/...ero-day-found/

Facebook have asked Adobe to 'retire Flash as soon as possible “Flash has become such an information security nightmare that Facebook’s Chief Security Officer called on Adobe to sunset the platform as soon as possible and ask browser vendors to forcibly kill it off,”

All this is for Info only. What each person decides to do, is their choice. The Ausphotography website has the ability to allow flash based advertising but we have not used it for some years. So if you use Firefox, you should not see the warning message re flash being disabled whilst on AP. Whilst Mozilla have taken the step to block Flash within the Firefox browser, the vulnerability is not just related to Firefox. All use of Flash on a computer, using any browser or application can allow your computer to be open to hacking.

The BEST solution is to uninstall Adobe Flash Player components from your computer(s).

Adobe have been releasing new versions of Flash over the past few days, and no doubt more updates will follow in the next few days. So the issues may be resolved in the near future.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-07-2015 at 8:09am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta a LOT for this, Rick. Good Ol' Firefox did indeed block Adobe Flash Player this morning while I was watching the Pluto updates.
    Lucky I had this gut idea NOT to "ALLOW" the plugin to run!!!
    I am now heading over to UNINSTALL Adobe (Not So) Flash Player.
    Am.

- - - Updated - - -

DONE! Adobe Flash Player has been shown the door!

(You have to close Firefox or browser before it uninstalls.)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 15-07-2015 at 10:02am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought a heap of stuff on the net requires flash player to work?
    I'm starting to worry now as I have been using Chrome...
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been a fan of flash. It's a resource hog and I can understand why Steve Jobs hated it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    I thought a heap of stuff on the net requires flash player to work?
    I'm starting to worry now as I have been using Chrome...
    I did too. I guess a lot won't work now, but I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Never been a fan of flash. It's a resource hog and I can understand why Steve Jobs hated it.
    Is there a name to the alternative implied?

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The alternative is HTML5. Most of the developers have been moving this way as it's an open standard.

The move to HTML5 was helped by the iPhone's lack of support for flash.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently an Update to Flash was released today, that resolves all the current known vulnerabilities within it.

Whether you continue to use it, or remove it from your computer(s), is your choice.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went looking for some verification from Adobe... A bit of a trail. Finally found:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/security/pro...apsb15-16.html

It's in Adobese, and seems to address some security issue in the section:

Summary

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially
    allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Adobe is aware of a report that an exploit targeting CVE-2015-5119 has been publicly published.

Last bit highlighted is good

- - - Updated - - -

So far nothing HASN'T worked without it, so... holding off installation.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 16-07-2015 at 10:28am.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I've uninstalled Flash Player.

Some things I can no longer view so what's the alternative.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Do-Eagles-Dare The video can't be viewed. Says a plug-in is needed.
    Last edited by Cage; 26-07-2015 at 12:36pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    OK, I've uninstalled Flash Player.

Some things I can no longer view so what's the alternative.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Do-Eagles-Dare The video can't be viewed. Says a plug-in is needed.
    Flash has been updated an supposedly resolved the issues. However I think Firefox is really pushing sites to being html5 compatible, and thus flash is un-necessary. But it is up to site owners to do so. It may just have a backlash against firefox. I am using Chrome on sites where I come across flash and it being blocked. Chrome plays them just fine, even without Flash installed on my computer.