Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Format: 16:9 or 4:3 ?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Format: 16:9 or 4:3 ?

What format do people usually have their digital cameras set to?

Mine was on 4:3 and I tried 16:9 and then found later that I lost some off the top and bottom of the image - didn't realise it at the time.

What's the pros and cons of each?
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this for video? My cams are 6:4.

However, in most applications of aspect ratio on offer there is an amount of cropping (masking) of the sensor.

If you have any given lens, 16:9 still gives you the same horizontal angle of view. You'd want to change to a wider lens
    for real panoramic effect.

It's mostly to match the screens of most modern TVs, monitors, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I meant my still cams.
    Another PS: What a turn-off in the past when in department stores they would stretch a 4:3 TV image to
    16:9 and everyone had moon-faces!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yet another PS: With a 16:9 crop already, you reduce the ability to crop the image further.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave it on 4:3 - you can crop to any aspect ratio for digital display later.
    I have found cropping using a 4:5 or 2:3/4:6 aspect ratio is best for prints (8" x 10" or 8" x 12")
    hope this helps
    CathyC
    D3100, D5100, D7000
    Lenses: Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 18-105mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 55-300mm
    My Blog: http://anentreeincolour.blogspot.com.au/
    My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/38082060@N05/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, very handy.
    Back to 4:3 it is.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on your camera sensor format. I'd leave it on its native aspect ratio to use the whole sensor.
    If there's a display frame line option on your camera, some people prefer to use an alternative preferred framing (eg. 16:9), so it's easier to visualize in that framing but still shoot at the native ratio for more freedom on crop.
    There're also some cameras (some of the Panasonic GH and LX lines come to mind) that have oversized sensors for more freedom of crop but the downside is I don't think you're able to use the entire sensor or even if it could be enabled, you'd likely see some heavy vignetting as most lenses will only project an image circle just big enough for their native format.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the native aspect ratio of your camera to cover all the sensor. Cropping what you don't want later, is easy.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    There're also some cameras (some of the Panasonic GH and LX lines come to mind) that have oversized sensors for more freedom of crop but the downside is I don't think you're able to use the entire sensor ......
    I remember some Panasonic models having this feature too.
    When you set it to a wide aspect ratio it captured more pixels on the long edge than it otherwise would if it were set to the std 4:3 ratio.
    I had a quick look at the FZ200 and it appears this camera doesn't have this feature.

So as already said, just use the entire sensor and crop later.

Do note that while you may be doing this for a situation you find yourself in now(I'm assuming that you're viewing something like desktop backgrounds on a 16:9 screen ) .. this may change at a later date to a different scenario where your next screen may be the more traditional looking 16:10 aspect ratio .. or even a wider one which are now currently becoming more popular(such as 21:9 or whatever else is going on).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thinking is that starting with the maximum image the sensor can deliver is preferable. You can always crop with any software or even on your phone (if you do WiFi transfer). Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    What's the pros and cons of each?
    A vertically oriented image of a person might look rather "different" in a 16:9 ratio. That is an immediate con that comes to mind.

I think it boils down to what you are making an image of at the time. Having the choice of different ratios to experiment with is a good thing to me, you can frame a landscape, for example, and capture it it in different ratios at the push of a button ( or 3 ) and compare the results instantly. You may find that you look at the composition of the scene differently in each ratio and end up with a more pleasing result from one over another. You might find that to achieve that more pleasing result you have moved the camera to an entirely different perspective in 16:9 compared to 4:3. That perspective adjustment that resulted in a more pleasing image may not have been apparent in the native 4:3 ratio and not possible to crop to that differently placed perspective in software later.

Go forth and experiment, be prepared to change settings a lot and find out what suits you the best.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ak83, the models I know of are the GH1 and 2, and the LX100 but there may be more. Panasonic calls it multi aspect ratio sensors.

I@M: good point regarding the framing decisions. I mentioned the guide frame lines above and some cameras such as an Olympus E-M1 and Leica Q allow these frame line projections that are only guides whilst still shooting the entire native frame. In the Leica Q, the reviewers mentioned that by doing so and shooting in RAW, when importing the pictures into Lightroom it shows up with your in-camera crop but if you dislike it you can then un-crop your selection to get the entire native frame.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. By the sound of it I'm best using the 4:3 as a general rule, except when experimenting.

Cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I have gone looking at my Canons to double check....Looks like they are default to 3:2. Should I look at changing this??
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filter.
    You have 7D and 70D listed in your signature.

7D is 3:2.You can't change it for stills (AFAIK), but it does have a 4:3 AND 16:9 video modes.

The 70D does have a variety of aspect ratios you can select for stills.

I don't know what you mean by "should".

Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what you mean by "should".
    Me either Am, thanks for clearing it up for me

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use native Nikon D750 and crop to 16x9. TV is 16x9 so I view all my pics on the telly at full screen.

Crappy phone pic

20150601-20150601_201313-2-2.jpg

Crop to whatever in LR for printing.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your 16:9 clock-face