Thread: How's the NBN working for you?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevyrob View Post
    Don't think I will ever see the NBN
    Why Stevyrob! You can see it right now, even with your eyes closed: No Blasted Network.

And welcome back.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like they may have finished in our area and unless something changes the nearest node is 500m from our place.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to revive an old thread ------

About 2 months after fixed wireless towers were built to serve our tiny hamlet the NBN site now lists us as "under construction" ------- which is great until you discover that the govt must be going broke and now want new ( selected ) connections to pay a $300.00 fee for the privilege of having a telephone.

So it seems, after a few months of the NBN being available in our area the copper wires will be scrapped and we will no longer have a landline ( necessary in times of storms and fires around here due to flaky mobile service ) we will have to rely on the voip service that comes with the NBN.

Isn't it marvelous that such double dipping on charges occurs when the scheme costs truckloads more that they first thought.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My landline comes down the fibre optic cable. My phone is plugged into the NBN Router/Modem.

Is that VOIP ??
    Last edited by Cage; 25-03-2016 at 8:08pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Kev.

You can buy a phone that works during a power outage, but not an NBN outage ...

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    My landline comes down the fibre optic cable. My phone is plugged into the NBN Router/Modem.
    Yep, that works for those who are in an area serviced by fibre to the node, premises or the new tech that they are unveiling but it it simply does not work for the fixed wireless connectees. If they don't sign up to the NBN they simply will not have a phone line in their home that works the "old" way.
    And now all those who opt to join the NBN and are in an area designated as new greenfield or brownfield will have to pay $300 for the privilege.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably shouldn't post this but after 6 months the speeds are holding up.

Capture.JPG

A bit different to the 1MB per minute I was getting 6 years ago.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SHW FF!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, after putting up with crap for ten years, being told that it wasn't financially viable for Telstra to extend the copper lines 50m to my place, I reckon I've served my apprenticeship in the internet of misery.

Five bloody minutes to download a MP3 file, usually with a drop-out or two, and a call cost to get back online. It was a joke.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev.
    Am, after putting up with crap for ten years, being told that it wasn't financially viable for Telstra to extend the copper lines 50m to my place, I reckon I've served my apprenticeship in the internet of misery.

Five bloody minutes to download a MP3 file, usually with a drop-out or two, and a call cost to get back online. It was a joke.
    You can say that...

It is STRANGER than FICTION how that works for non-metro areas: THE LUCKY COUNTRY (rural zones) is not defined for
    telecomms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just run a check on my internet speed NBN wireless connection. 5.18 Mbps Download 4.31 Mbps Upload.
    A bit different to 95 Mbps.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross. I think a serious talk to your ISP...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1 View Post
    Just run a check on my internet speed NBN wireless connection. 5.18 Mbps Download 4.31 Mbps Upload.

Ross.
    When I first had mine connected the speeds were not much different to yours. I rang Telstra and told them that I was not a happy NBN user, and that the speeds were no better than my wireless connection. I also mentioned Optus a few times during the call and was offered a free upgrade to the 'Fast' connection, 100MBs down and 40MBs up, which is pretty much what I now get.

I don't know the techy side of things, but I suspect the fast connection doesn't get choked by traffic like the standard connection probably does.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know the techy side of things, but I suspect the fast connection doesn't get choked by traffic like the standard connection probably does.
    I'm with Optus cable, have been for over 10 years.
    Originally the cable modem they first sent was a useless piece of garbage, and even tho cable can easily achieve 100Mb/s, that old modem could only achieve up to 25Mb/s.
    In a sense, I was stuck.
    Optus wouldn't send me a new modem 'just because I wanted one' (ie. faster connection!!) and back when I initially connected, the download plan was truly unlimited.

So the person I spoke too, demanding a new modem .. basically forced me to update my very old contract to a new and much more restrictive plan.
    But the download speed did skyrocket from 25Mb/s to 100Mb/s immediately when I installed the new modem.

Turned out that my son's gaming habits took us over the pathetic download limit every month, so I had to up that plan too.

But soon after that(a few years now), Optus offered their customers this stupid movie streaming service (either Stan or Netflix .. can't remember), and for sure that this is the cause for the current slowdowns on the cable service now.
    Most nights we struggle to achieve 30-50Mb/s download speeds, as the issue with cable is that we all share the available bandwidth.
    And Optus gave all these customers the ability to watch movies now, but obviously hadn't scale up the bandwidth for the cable system in my area .. net result is some 'very slow' internet speeds during the peak periods (when the masses are glued to their movies, all at the same time).

The fastest download speed I've seen on my connection has been a strange 102(ish) Mb/s, which is strange considering that cable is supposedly a 100Mb/s connection.
    Uploads are a very tedious 1-2Mb/s connection, but that isn't a bother at all.

So in a sense, the so called fast connection(cable) does get choked when too many folks are using it all concurrently.
    The slower ADSL system doesn't.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to Ross, though, THAT'S rirDICKulouSE.
    If you get 0-where with Telstra, go to the telecommunication ombudsman.
    You need a good reason and a reasonable outcome, and it will happen.
    And a VG reason is if your speeds are slower than they were before NBN.
    But even so, THAT'S NOT NBN!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ross.
    The wireless NBN is what we will be getting.

Their "quoted" figures are 25 Mpbs down and 5 Mpbs up.

Your upload seems about right depending on your distance from a tower and the number of people connected to that tower but your download speed is pathetic. We can achieve 6 down on an ADSL connection --- except that you have to be on the pc at 3:00 am on a cloudless night with a full moon and no unicorns trampling the exchange fences.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The wireless NBN is what we will be getting.

Their "quoted" figures are 25 Mpbs down and 5 Mpbs up.

Your upload seems about right depending on your distance from a tower and the number of people connected to that tower but your download speed is pathetic. We can achieve 6 down on an ADSL connection --- except that you have to be on the pc at 3:00 am on a cloudless night with a full moon and no unicorns trampling the exchange fences.
    Andrew, you may have inadvertently hit on the source of the problem.

It is quite possible that the winding on the Unicorn's horn may be interfering with the signal from the tower. If, as you say, Unicorns are hanging around the exchanges, their horns are possibly causing the signal from the exchange to spiral in an upward direction, possibly to a hitherto unknown occupied planet, the occupants of which are so transfixed by the chatter on our forum that they have forgotten why they sent the Unicorns here in the first place.

And I really must get another bottle of that Chardonnay I've been sipping tonight.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I really must get another bottle of that Chardonnay I've been sipping tonight.
    I like the way you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, yes it is no faster than my previous ADSL, I will give Telstra a call.

Ross.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, yes it is no faster than my previous ADSL, I will give Telstra a call.

Ross.
    --And espeCIALLY if you're paying more for it!!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast