Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  86
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the NBN working for you?

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on ADSL2+ and fairly close to the exchange, so generally pretty good... does slow down at peak times though, struggling to load youtube etc.

My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Telstra Cable for me. No NBN in sight for the next 3 years, so I'll have to suffer through with this:

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant. That download speed reminds me of Ginger Meggs careering down Deadman's Hill, but the upload is rather modest.
    Is it always like that?
    CC, Image editing OK.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in the country has its challengers and internet service is one of them. I have been on ADSL1 up until 3 months ago when the exchange was updated for ADSL2+ and I just happen to be within 1740 cable mtres from the exchange. Until the update I live with an average of 8KB/s. Now I average around the 9MB/s mark which is a luxury and serves me and Foxtel service well enough.
    In the earlier days of the NBN rollout we were told we would have NBN connected by 2013 and you could see it laid out on the roll out site. Then we were told it would be Sept 2014, and now there is no details on the site anymore but Telstra say there will be 2016 NBN service here. I expect it will be wireless which will be fine for me in view of the suffering we have lived with for BB speeds the last 8 yrs.

NBN is in the new developments closer to town where urban sprawl has bought up farms and developed distant city suburbs. Since the start of Netflix and the free trial, I have spoken with quite a number who have speed issues at certain times of the day and inquires by some of them seem to put the cause on the sudden increase in Movie service offerings.
    I am keen to move to NBN (when ever that may be and is almost certainly going to be wireless, if at all), but I am also hesitant as the speed impact of new movie and TV services etc appears to be mostly impacting the NBN users. Due to density of homes out here in the farming community against the number close enough to the exchange to get ADLS2+, staying on ADSL2+ maybe a better option.

Not having a shot - but it does amuse me when I hear of people (not necessarily on this site) complaining about BB speeds of 15 MB/s etc.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mikew09, 9 MB/s on ADSL2+ doesn't sound too bad.
    Are you talking megabytes (MB) or megabits (Mb)?

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ADSL2+, about as good as it gets and ok for me but the kids gaming downstairs is the world's biggest issue at the moment and "why don't I do something about "

Not on the NBN list yet.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! That's modest for ADSL2+, Sanger!!! Is it always like that? I don't know if that speed test halts
    all other traffic while it checks the line speed. Maybe you should try it (if not already) with nobody else on it
    in the house. I'd be getting onto IInet about that. Let them check your line speed if nothing else, and maybe
    they'll suggest a modem re-boot.
    Am.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Ie, the kids are onto something. You're not getting what you're paying for.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tduell View Post
    Mikew09, 9 MB/s on ADSL2+ doesn't sound too bad.
    Are you talking megabytes (MB) or megabits (Mb)?

Cheers,
    Terry
    That's almost certainly Mbits .. not Mbytes!

I routinely get 100Mb/s 'connection speed' .. but you'd be hard pressed to find any server wiling to give you 9 Megabytes/sec download speed.

AARNET used too(that was my test site), Muckrosoft also do for some things.
    And strangely Nikon also used to allow over 10Mbytes/s downloads.

I used to regularly download Nikon's updates to their software and it's consistently come through at 10-11Mbytes/s.
    That's 250-300Mbytes of software to your HDD in just a few minutes!

Amazing to watch .. unbeleivable the first time I did it(years ago). I remember starting the download to either a CNX2 or VNX2 update .. and they're usually well over 200MB to download.
    Went into the kitchen(about 5 steps from the office) to start a cuppa. Came back to see how the download was going, only to find it 'not happening'.
    Checked the download history, and there it was .. said completed
    I was confused .. so I checked that actual file on the HDD. It said 200+ MB or whatever .. I'm still .
    So I downloaded it again! .. just to be sure. And there it was hovering between 10 and 12Mbytes per second!

The other week when my son yelled out in frustration that this stupid internet is stupid .. what's going on!
    I was again(again!) .. we were getting around 1-2Mb/s(bits! per sec).

then I started yelling too.

I keep an eye on our speed every now and then out of curiosity .. but my son is my alarm bell(typical 15 yo .. 25 hours a day on those stupid games! )
    But one strange situation I had was interesting to watch.
    I purchased a new wireless AP(an AC type, for future compatibility) .. works very well with my tablets 3x3 wireless networking ability for now at least.

But the son's laptop connected via a 1x1 wireless n frequency was achieving 20-ish Mb/s .. sounded pretty normal.
    Came into the office and checked my PC, which is Gbit connected to the Gbit router to the rest of the network .. just millimeters from the router and modem .. and I'm getting 2Mb/s !!

Confirmed the slow laptop wireless .. 25 or so Mb/s again .. checked my supposedly Gbit connected PC .. 1.5Mb/s.
    Something was about to get hammered .. with a sledge hammer. But my desk is so cluttered with modems/routers/switches/hdds/etc .. I didn't know which one to attack first!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Grant. That download speed reminds me of Ginger Meggs careering down Deadman's Hill, but the upload is rather modest.
    Is it always like that?
    Yep. Top down speed I've seen is about 115 but never seen an up speed higher than 2.5.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanger View Post
    ... but the kids gaming downstairs is the world's biggest issue at the moment and "why don't I do something about "
    Why don't you...change the wifi password and not tell them... Problem solved.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Whew! That's modest for ADSL2+, Sanger!!! Is it always like that? I don't know if that speed test halts
    all other traffic while it checks the line speed. Maybe you should try it (if not already) with nobody else on it
    in the house. I'd be getting onto IInet about that. Let them check your line speed if nothing else, and maybe
    they'll suggest a modem re-boot.
    Am.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Ie, the kids are onto something. You're not getting what you're paying for.
    yep, have been onto them and others and all suggest given our location it's about as good as we'll get around here, so who knows.
    Not a big deal to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Why don't you...change the wifi password and not tell them... Problem solved.
    Haha..that would fire them up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not likely to get the NBN any time soon. Not lucky enough to live in a marginal seat, I guess. This is pretty typical but is fast enough for my needs.

Andrew

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the NBN working for me ?

I'll tell you after August 22. Had my FTTP box fitted yesterday and apparently it's all set to go in about two weeks, although I won't hold my breath.

Andrew, I wish I could send my Wireless set-up to you as at 4-5Mb/sec download speeds it's not all that shabby, at least after what I put up with for years, similar to your 20th century offerings.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No NBN news on my area anytime soon. Except annoying overseas telemarketers trying to sell me plans on "getting ready for NBN".
    My speed:

(Telstra Cable, tested around 6:10pm)
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Except annoying overseas telemarketers trying to sell me ...

The ones that call me always seem to start with "I'm not trying to sell you anything..." No, your not trying to sell me anything, your just trying to get me to consent to someone else calling who will try to sell me stuff....
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    The ones that call me always seem to start with "I'm not trying to sell you anything..." No, your not trying to sell me anything, your just trying to get me to consent to someone else calling who will try to sell me stuff....
    I deflect, and cause they always call around dinner time, I thank them for their call and say it is great cause I need some help. Then tell them I am cooking a curry and am unsure whether to add cardamom or not. I never talk to them about what they want to talk about. It is amusing trying to listen to them desperately attempting to get back to their script, when I want to talk about something else entirely.

One particular evening, I even decided that I could not speak Chinglish and spoke to them like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets (sad news about Kermit and Miss Piggy) I got handed from person to person as they tried to work out what language I was speaking.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I moved to Melbourne, I lived in Midway Point in Tasmania and our suburb was one of the first to get the NBN on fibre optic cable. It beat the crap out of the Telstra broadband service that I was using prior to it being installed and it seemed that it was going to be the way of the future. Unfortunately, a change in government has seen what was originally a step into the future turn into a dogs breakfast. Australia has one of the worst internet speeds and that has been reinforced by the evidence of the Ookla speed tests that people have been posting. I'm on ADSL here in Melbourne but I can't post what the speed is that I get for my service as the Ookla site requires Flash to run it which I have disabled as it has far too many holes in it that hackers can exploit (it's a dead duck anyway because a lot of websites are ditching Flash). In an ideal world, everybody should have access to the same or similar speeds. That certainly won't happen with the 'Frankenstein' internet services that will be rolled out in the coming years. We could have had one of the best internet services in the world but unless there is a committed switch to fibre optic cable, we'll continue to have a service that will be good for some people and not for others.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it! "Good for some people and not for others." - And that will be hailed as progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Except annoying overseas telemarketers trying to sell me plans on "getting ready for NBN".
    Just received 3 phone calls from the same call centre:
    informing me that NBN is not on my area
    informing me that I will be getting a cheaper bill for telephone and internet before NBN in my area (which I insisted I am not changing anything).
    informing me that they are not changing anything (which I insisted I am not changing anything, including bill amount).
    informing me that I am paying between $100 and $110 per month (which was incorrect).
    attempt to get my actual bill amount. (and I refused).
    finally admitted that he does not have my information.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad enough to be a scam, Antony. The movie Jackass was on last night. Maybe this was a re-play
    (Oh, I didn't watch it, the bits I saw as I flicked through the channels were too [stupid/puerile/sick/jerky.../etc...])

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast