Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the NBN working for you?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How's the NBN working for you?

After years of two tins and a string internet we are not listed on the NBN roll out site as having anything planned for our tiny hamlet.
    A month or so ago the NBN mob placed an ad in the local paper informing us of a public meeting to outline a proposed fixed wireless tower ( or two ) to serve this town. It so happens that where they advertised placing one of the towers is on a patch of land that we drive by almost daily and according to google earth is 390 metres away from our house. Despite there still being zilch on the NBN site about any connections in our area, when I drove down the road yesterday I noticed a new power cable dangling in the air on a pole and a freshly dug and filled in trench leading up the road to a pegged out area in the paddock where they said they wanted to build a wireless tower.
    Despite their website being in total denial we may even have a bit of the NBN here sooner rather than later it seems.
    Despite "only" being 25 down and 5 up it still has to be better than the current ( getting worse by the day ) connection.

Please feel free to share your connection results and views on the state of the 'net in your home.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's it going here? I dunno.. I'll let you know when it gets here :-/
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine

Been told not to expect the NBN. Originally I was planned to get it in Dec 2013. They then chopped my suburb in half. Half have it, and the rest of us have been told there are no plans to connect us.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's NOT NBN, but I typically get 30 down and about 1.5 up.
    But that's not to praise the "DIS"service providers. My pet HAYTE!!! is the paucity of "service"
    - oh, sorry! Their service provision is EXCELLENT in taking your money there - in non-metro areas.

OK, have POSSUM-weak service, but don't CHARGE LIKE A BULL for it!!

Anyway, the ultimate rationale is: NOBODY can ever use UNlimited internet, and as for "overseas calls", well,
    who ya gonna call? Yer wouldn't get nuffin if it cost ISPs ANYthing. So we continue to PAY for what we DON'T get,
    and generally think how great and clever and connected and... BOOF-headed we really are.

You're lucky, Andrew! You KNOW your getting CARP! The rest of us dream we're getting SALMON!
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-07-2015 at 8:10pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ... and the rest of us have been told there are no plans to connect us.
    We were reasonably high on the original roll out and have been told the same while smaller towns close by seem to be getting it sooner than us ( I think).
    While I didn't much like the previous government ( nor our current one) I think the original proposal for the NBN was one of their better ideas. Yes it costs money, but Netflix is just the start. And most will get NBN Slimline now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this is my supposed 100Mb/s download speed on NBN.
    I did get to 95Mb/s download early on in the piece.

my PC is too slow to maximize even this speed anyway.
    In all honesty, 20mb/s is more than enough for the average Joe.

NBN does drop out several times a week though. Not quite as bad as my old DSL.
    But given the Telstra wifi router has worse coverage than the old one, can't get the TV to connect to wifi now.
    Damn these first world problems...Might have to run some cable.

PS. Did I mention that we were the first "overhead cabling" trial group in Townsville
    Hooray..our cables will get taken out in an average cyclone, so I will have to ring out on my mobile until the base station goes flat in 2 hrs
    Last edited by MattNQ; 06-07-2015 at 1:38am.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with NBN has been variable. At work we have NBN and normal use such as web browsing and email retrieval has been mostly unchanged, even at times dead slow (i.e. @ kid O clock = after school and early evening & holidays).

Large downloads and uploads however happen very quickly, files that used to take 20 minutes to download arrive in 4-5 minutes, a bonus for us as we download large software and firmware files.

At home I've seen a decline in my ADSL performance as the NBN network is progressively rolled out, that's also the experience I seem to hear from our customers, ultimately bandwidth is shared and faster speeds on NBN seem to have come at the expense of slower connections for other users.

I work in the Communications industry (mostly telephony) and spend time sorting out the problems left after NBN cutover. Dodgy workmanship, lack of knowledge by installers, carriers and those implementing cutovers on behalf of the carriers are all issues.
    We have had one major carrier turn up to recover copper connections that are not able to be converted to NBN, disconnecting clients for days or even a week or more before restoration.

We have also had some customers told by their carriers that phone system replacement is necessary in some cases at costs of many thousands of dolars. There are solutions for cutover of lines to NBN for virtually any existing systems, making the customer change is simply scamming.

The basic concept of NBN is a good one, but believing that they could roll out in a few years what took a hundred years with copper was simply stupid and shows how little understanding the government and their advisers have.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought National was all over though apparently its not, our area is not on the NBN list either !!

WOW !! Its so fast this morning on ADSL..
    Many evenings my download speed is slower than yours Andrew and I cannot even open a page.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    National is only "notional" in this context, M A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting hubby is desperately waiting for NBN I don't think are doing too bad for what we use the net for
    (I hope I have done the link right)
    CathyC
    D3100, D5100, D7000
    Lenses: Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 18-105mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 55-300mm
    My Blog: http://anentreeincolour.blogspot.com.au/
    My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/38082060@N05/

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    National is only "notional" in this context, M A
    Guess you are right there Am

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in a similar situation as ricktas. The map of NBN roll out shows areas all around us either with it, in the process of getting it, or rollout planned whereas the part of the suburb I'm in... nothing. I mean WHAT THE?
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cable isn't always what it's cracked up to be.
    Damned expensive by comparison to many other broadband services, and for that money you'd expect decent services.

This is what I usually get:

but in many instances I only get 2Mbps!! .. and probably due to network congestion .. damned idiots all watching netflix or whatever at the same time.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After download speeds of around 16Kb/s (yes, you read it right) Telstra whacked in a 4G tower 400m away from my place and I moved into the 20th century.

It often hits 35Mb/s download when there are no kids on-line, and if I put up an external aerial higher than the corrugated iron roof on the house next door it could be much faster. But hey, after 1 Mb per minute download speeds I think I'm in cyber heaven.

I've just booked in to have the NBN box installed as our FTTP switch-on is imminent. Yep, in my little country town we are getting FTTP. I'll wait and see just what the real life speeds are like before I sign up. I may actually then move into the 21st century.
    Last edited by Cage; 06-07-2015 at 4:30pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 25/5 NBN package and I have found its more stable than the adsl2 i had at the rental i was in but i still get lag sometimes with watching Twitch or sometimes Youtube.

i get around 23/4.8 and 6 ping
    D5200, 18-55mm kit lens & 55-300mm.... For now

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should do one of those ookla speed test things but I'm a bit afraid to. Might be too depressing.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    I should do one of those ookla speed test things but I'm a bit afraid to. Might be too depressing.
    Aw, go w-o-o-on! We'll laugh and cheer you up!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post

Go on do it.
    Surely it couldn't be worse that the connection here at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Andrew. Are your IS...-er, hang on I... - wait a bit.. Ohh! The whatchamacallits you get the interNOT off...
    Are they aware of this? Send then a message - "OXI". It's fairly current.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast