Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting how many now do not own a digital camera

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting how many now do not own a digital camera

Digital point-and-shoot cameras have also seen their best days. The proportion of households with a digital camera, a product slowly cannibalised in the smartphone revolution, peaked in 2009 at 60 per cent. It has since dropped to 50 per cent.

"Remember how amazing they were? You could take a photo, see it straight away, and then save through a cord to your computer's hard drive, and email through Hotmail as an attachment to your family and friends," said Mr Martin.

"Between 2000 and 2009, almost 5 million households purchased a digital camera. By then, though, you could take photos on your phone and instantly share it on social media. So half a million homes chucked their digital cameras away."
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digi...25-gh8xtp.html
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread.....I used to carry a point and shoot in my handbag at all times.............I haven't done since I got my first iphone (iphone 3) I gave my last point and shoot, a canon ixus ...can't remember which one to my then 8 year old to muck about with as It was just lying around unused She doesn't even use it anymore as she has an ipad and an old iphone 4s ( she's 11 now) of my husbands and prefers those for taking photos and video
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only P&S I still have is a waterproof one I use for the beach and even that get used only a couple of times a year. I think the smartphone killed the P&S market. Nobody I know uses them anymore.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 'happy snappers' the smartphone is the perfect tool.

For those that wanted slightly better image quality and more control, then the P&S was the solution. However this is the segment of the market that is being heavily eroded by the camera phone. Other than the size factor, it is not such a big step up from a P&S to an entry level DSLR. I can see the compact sector of the DSLR market being very competitive and highly innovative as the camera manufacturers try to find more ways to wean the happy snappers off their camera phones.

Hopefully the innovations will flow on to the enthusiast/semi-pro sector.

I'm obviously a dinosaur because for me, if it ain't got a proper viewfinder, it ain't a proper camera.
    Last edited by Cage; 26-05-2015 at 2:13pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ive still got 2 point and shoots that I use. One is an IR converted camera, the other is a small Fuji that takes 3D photos and video (which both work on my 3D tv).

I must be behind the times..nothing unusual there.... .... .... wanders off to get my abacus... ... back later... ... bye
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm!... l just bought a p&s, to try some street work. Though l love my nikon D800, its hard to use in that type of work. The size of a pack of cards.
    Excellent glass, the quality is right up there with lots of controls, and apps,...and a viewfinder think there's still a market for them, but not to the same extent?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another dinosaur here then... I still use my Canon ixus 310 HS a lot. Even though its features are limited compared to a real camera, the thing makes better images than my phone, it features a decent zoom, it handles better and it provides "super slow-motion" video recording. Overall, it's just a nifty little thing!
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I'm obviously a dinosaur because for me, if it ain't got a proper viewfinder, it ain't a proper camera.
    Well ... I'm with you! I refuse to buy anything that hasn't got a viewfinder - and I go a tad further and refuse electronic viewfinders as well.

There ain't nothing like a real optical viewfinder.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the pensioners stop talking on this post and leave the topic to the under 60 year olds. We're trying to get realistic feedback, not how much you like your Sony Betamax

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Can the pensioners stop talking on this post and leave the topic to the under 60 year olds. We're trying to get realistic feedback, not how much you like your Sony Betamax
    I've just come back from a cruise with around 4000 old farts on board. I was talking to a young couple in their early twenties who were bemoaning the fact that the other cruisers went to bed early and took all these pills.

I would have talked longer except it was past my bedtime and I hadn't taken my evening tablets.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The waterproof point and shoot and go pro type cameras seem to be popular for the more adventurous types.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Another dinosaur here then... I still use my Canon ixus 310 HS a lot. Even though its features are limited compared to a real camera, the thing makes better images than my phone, it features a decent zoom, it handles better and it provides "super slow-motion" video recording. Overall, it's just a nifty little thing!
    I have a Canon PowerShot A550 that I bought about eight years back (it now lives in my car) and it still surprises me how good the images are without all the DSLR bells 'n' whistles.

I generally have it set on 'Kids and Pets' as I figure that is giving me a slightly higher shutter speed, to counteract my shaky hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Nikon Coolpix s3000, gets used around the house at times.

I don't own a mobile phone.

So I must be really old.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I've just come back from a cruise with around 4000 old farts on board. I was talking to a young couple in their early twenties who were bemoaning the fact that the other cruisers went to bed early and took all these pills.

I would have talked longer except it was past my bedtime and I hadn't taken my evening tablets.
    You all took the wrong pills with you then.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oooi. I still have a super-8 movie camera..and the projector.

And I am still under 60.

Wash your mouth out with soap, ya whipper snapper!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    You all took the wrong pills with you then.
    Yup ..... most of them needed diet pills!! I've never seen such a shipload of obese, chronically fat cruisers in all my life! Mobility scooters everywhere, not due to disability but because the silly sods couldn't walk they were such lumps pf lard. I should have taken a wide angle lens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Yup ..... most of them needed diet pills!! I've never seen such a shipload of obese, chronically fat cruisers in all my life! Mobility scooters everywhere, not due to disability but because the silly sods couldn't walk they were such lumps pf lard. I should have taken a wide angle lens.
    Sadly it's the days of the quick fix. Overweight? Take a pill.

Unfortunately I think our education system has been badly designed. In the interests of political correctness, we have pushed people from "thin is best" down a path of "be happy with yourself" without realising we are now creating new extremes as a result. We now have new levels of obesity like morbidly obese because obese is not longer sufficient to classify people.

I agree that the thin is best approach was flawed, but I think it should have been pushed down a path of being healthy, not being fat or thin or comfortable with yourself. Being comfortable with yourself doesn't help you if you die at 30 from a heart attack. Being healthy involves eating properly and exercising. Pills won't help that. You can be obese or thin and still be healthy if you're eating the right foods and exercising. I also think more focus needs to be done on helping educate parents on what healthy actually is for their kids. I see young kids of 5 and 6 that weigh twice what they should, can't exercise and their obese parents are sitting back watching while their kids guzzle down 3 packets of crisps and cool drink in the park instead of getting exercise. This example is set by the parents creating the wrong foundations with their kids who will grow up thinking this is normal.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You forgot another thing MM.
    First P&S and now phones pretending to be cameras has meant that a lot of people now don't get the exercise of carrying a DSLR around.
    Maybe a new government health program could be started giving people DSLRs and tripods to carry around.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way. It's hard enough competing for the ausphoto comps without them. We'd also have a 100 entries of random things in their houses like their super 8 projectors.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No way. It's hard enough competing for the ausphoto comps without them. We'd also have a 100 entries of random things in their houses like their super 8 projectors.
    You be careful young fella. I has access to a big red button!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast