Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Iceland appeal?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does Iceland appeal?

Check out udesignphototours Iceland tour

Last edited by ameerat42; 03-07-2015 at 10:34am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular landyvlad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iceland appeals enormously - always wanted to go there.

If my house wasn't subsiding I might even be able to pay to go.....
    Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Samsung Galaxy Note 5 / LR 5 & PSE 12

Constructive Critique of my work is highly valued so have at it !

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong".
    There ought to be a recall on all photo editing software to remove the vignette function.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping to make this our next trip overseas.
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iceland always looks spectacular. I'd love to get there one day.
    -- Mister Q

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, too cold for me and dont have that kind of energy anymore.. I reckon the younger Members would enjoy it though.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always wanted to visit there, even before I knew about the aurora. Never happen now, as I don't expect to win Lotto anytime soon
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular aussirose's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is on my travel list however my list is pretty long with many places taking precedence so I probably need to win lotto too
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.virtualtourist.com/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's at the top of my bucket list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly does .... and did! I went there a couple of years ago, and it was one of the most unusual places I've been (out of the 40 countries I've visited). Some interesting facts ....

A large proportion of Icelanders believe in elves, and they believe that they live in rock formations. There are roads there which go straight as a die until they get to rocks, and then they go around the rocks rather than removing them!

Their horses have an extra gait that other horses don't have - when you see someone on a trotting horse, they don't go up and down with the trot as you have to do with any other horse - they just sit there because of this extra gait. If a horse ever leaves Iceland, they're never allowed back because they're keeping the breed pure.

Iceland doesn't have any army, air-force etc and virtually no crime. It's a pretty nice place except it's a tad on the cold side. Here's a snap from there ......

small_IMG_2044.jpg

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --And it sounds like a Nice land to visit, Bob.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    --And it sounds like a Nice land to visit, Bob.
    Just remembered another interesting couple of facts ....

* They trained astronauts there for moon landings because the environment is so alien in some parts.
    * you can't become an Icelander unless you learn the language, and it's virtually an impossible language to learn
    * you have to be careful where you walk because you can disappear into hidden volcanic lava tubes and never be seen again (it has happened)
    * you can walk from one tectonic plate to another (which I did). Most tectonic plates meet underwater, but this one runs through Island.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on my bucket list but methinks I won`t get there......
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many amazing places left to see - I'll run out of time and money before I see them all.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing place , amazing people and culture, if you make it there you'll want to go back
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS 5dmk3 : 17-40 F4 L, 70-200F2.8 canon L, 24-70mm canon L, Gitzo Safari +1178 ballhead. |Canon 5dmkII, 16-35mmF2.8 II L, Gitzo 2541 )
    Singh Ray/Hitech/Lee assorted filters, Z pro modified system Cokin holder
    Post : Lightroom 3.6 catalogue -> Export as 16bit TIFF, Edited CS5 -> resized for web.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/ Steve Axford's Avatar
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Just remembered another interesting couple of facts ....

* They trained astronauts there for moon landings because the environment is so alien in some parts.
    * you can't become an Icelander unless you learn the language, and it's virtually an impossible language to learn
    * you have to be careful where you walk because you can disappear into hidden volcanic lava tubes and never be seen again (it has happened)
    * you can walk from one tectonic plate to another (which I did). Most tectonic plates meet underwater, but this one runs through Island.
    Actually Bob, Iceland sits across the Mid-Atlantic ridge, which is where the Earth's crust spreads (and consequently is the joining, or separation, of two oceanic plates). It also sits on a hotspot, or mantle plume. The combination of the two things mean that the island is intensely volcanic with the east side of the island moving east and the west side moving west. The only other place where a mid ocean ridge and a hotspot coincide is Hawaii, also intensely volcanic. Incidentally, there is a mantle plume somewhere around Bass Straight. Launceston may find itself foundering in a lake of lava in the tick of a clock (in this case, a geological tick, or 100,000 years)

I'd go there in a flash if there weren't so many other places to visit that were considerably cheaper.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [OT] (Hawaii is actually an intra-plate hot-spot/plume (?system). The plate boundary is to the N in Alaske, along the SW trending peninsula and island chain.) [/OT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You made me check my facts and ... you are right. Hawaii is just a hotspot and only Iceland is a hotspot on a divergent plate boundary. I just assumed Hawaii was also on a boundary as I knew it was on a long undersea chain of volcanoes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    the island is intensely volcanic with the east side of the island moving east and the west side moving west. The only other place where a mid ocean ridge and a hotspot coincide is Hawaii, also intensely volcanic.
    I'd go there in a flash if there weren't so many other places to visit that were considerably cheaper.
    I've been to both, but I'd like to see more volcanic stuff. Probably won't now, but what I have seen was great. It's colder here than in Iceland at the moment, so if you decided to go you'd be used to the temperature!

It's not just the cost, but the loooong plane trip that makes Iceland a less attractive option from Australia, especially if you're like me and prefer to go straight there rather than in stages. Took us over 30 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Volcanoes are great, Bob, but generally for the younguns. There is one in Vanuatu, which is Yasur on the island of Tana, which is an easy walk from the carpark. That is quite active and well worth a visit. 30 hour journeys do take it out of you and it's only worthwhile for a reasonably long stay, particularly given the jetlag. I think a 4 week stay, at least, is required to make up for the travel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Volcanoes are great, Bob, but generally for the younguns. There is one in Vanuatu, which is Yasur on the island of Tana, which is an easy walk from the carpark. That is quite active and well worth a visit. 30 hour journeys do take it out of you and it's only worthwhile for a reasonably long stay, particularly given the jetlag. I think a 4 week stay, at least, is required to make up for the travel.
    I saw your photos - looks excellent! I hope you remembered the sausages.

The Hawaii ones weren't as spectacular, even though I wandered quite a way past the signs that said "Pass here and you die" (or words to that effect).

Might look at going to Vanuatu some time - my horizons are shrinking these days due to health issues, but I haven't finished traveling just yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast