Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Remember to change back

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember to change back

I shoot with a A99 Sony full frame camera and have a couple of wide angle lenses. One Sony 16-35mm (full frame), which I use 70% -80% of the time and a Sigma 10-20mm APS-C lens which I rarely use. Although the camera has an Auto change setting when switching from a full frame lens to an APS-C lens it doesn't work with Sigma lenses. You need to manually it set to "ON". Last night I was trying some star shots using wide angle lenses. Just for the hell of it I thought I'd give the Sigma a run. I went to change the APS-C setting to "ON" and it was already set on it. Apparently I hadn't changed it back to "Auto" last time I used the lens, which was months ago. The upshot of this is that for months I have been shooting cropped images with my Sony lens with out realizing it, which is not great, especially when you do a bit of real estate photography on the side. Ah well, hopefully lesson learned. Sorry if I have bored you with this post but I thought I'd share anyway.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    h, t bad!
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

I was shooting with the Sigma 10-20 in 135 format, for about a year, while I contemplated which UWA lens to get for the D800E.
    99.9% of the images I shot were in full frame mode tho, I think once or twice I set the frame capture to APS-C(24x16).

If you are still gong to stick with this lens for a little while longer, I reckon it's best just to leave it in full frame mode and not have the camera crop it for 'ya.
    Reason is, that even tho there is a bit of mechanical vignetting (as you'd expect), you can still crop the frame larger than the std APS-C sized crop gives you(ie. you can capture more than it natively allows)

The major advantage in this is if you try a 1:1 crop ratio from a full frame capture. Crop to within the darkened corner limits at 1:1 and your resulting frame is much larger than you would get with the camera set to APS-C crop.

ps. if you're thinking of a replacement lens for this 10-20 at some point in the future, I can highly recommend the Sigma 12-24. Overall sharpness is good. the only issue with it is the difficulty in using filters on it.
    At about $800 it's reasonably priced too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha surely you would have noticed after reviewing your photos? Maybe not with stars but definitely with real estate photography? The first time I did it I immediately noticed.

Don't worry. Better make the mistake now and not later. Now I've learnt to triple check everything and also during shooting sessions so I don't come home with crud.