Thread: Lens choice on 5DsR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens choice on 5DsR

What lens would you go to for your first workout with a 5DsR?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon 14-24, simple really.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babu I attached a EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens to it.

#5Ds R by alabang, on Flickr

EXIF: ƒ/2.8 40mm 1/25 ISO 5,000
    Last edited by dolina; 19-06-2015 at 7:16am.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lens Rental have done a good preliminary review on that subject using a selection of lenses know for their high resolving power.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015...solution-tests

Their conclusions are interesting and it appears any lens will benefit from the hi res sensor, just to different degrees.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post

Their conclusions are interesting and it appears any lens will benefit from the hi res sensor, just to different degrees.
    Which I've tried to explain for a while now .. but of course nobody wants to know.

Thank god for guys like Roger who have the means to prove it tho.

So, as already said .. put whatever lens you have on it and enjoy!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your posts everybody. I think I'm going to enjoy working my way through a range of lenses (wide, standard, macro, TSE, medium and long tele) and observing what benefits the extra resolution brings with each of them.
    It probably doesn't matter which I start with.
    Dolina, was the shot you posted handheld?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    Thanks for your posts everybody. I think I'm going to enjoy working my way through a range of lenses (wide, standard, macro, TSE, medium and long tele) and observing what benefits the extra resolution brings with each of them.
    It probably doesn't matter which I start with.
    Dolina, was the shot you posted handheld?
    Yes, handheld.

For those who want to toy with the RAW here are some files you may want to toy with. From time to time I will be updating it different lenses.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zv8w5jb2k...eX67vDf3a?dl=0

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon 11-24mm!
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wideangle and the 11-24mm go together very well!
    Unfortunately, I don't own that lens yet. Whilst I was an early adopter of the 5DsR, I decided to wait for the 11-24's price to come down a bit and, in the meantime, get a bit more use out of my Sigma 12-24mm II.
    How long I wait may depend, in part, on how the extra res affects the corners of shots taken through the Siggy.
    I also want to look at results with my old 17-40mm as well as the 17mm & 24mm II TSEs.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dolina
    You have been pretty busy with your new toy. I haven't done much with dropbox as yet but will get to it. I'm sure quite a few people will have fun playing with the RAW files you posted.
    One comparison I'd like to make would be using the 100-400mm II lens with my 7D II and my 5DsR in 1.6 crop mode.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wideangle and the 11-24mm go together very well!
    Unfortunately, I don't own that lens yet. Whilst I was an early adopter of the 5DsR, I decided to wait for the 11-24's price to come down a bit and, in the meantime, get a bit more use out of my Sigma 12-24mm II.
    How long I wait may depend, in part, on how the extra res affects the corners of shots taken through the Siggy.
    I also want to look at results with my old 17-40mm as well as the 17mm & 24mm II TSEs.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know how log it usually takes for new Canon lenses to come down in price?

Hi Dolina
    You have been pretty busy with your new toy. I haven't done much with dropbox as yet but will get to it. I'm sure quite a few people will have fun playing with the RAW files you posted.
    One comparison I'd like to make would be using the 100-400mm II lens with my 7D II and my 5DsR in 1.6 crop mode.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!
    that may be a while.
    I have the Siggy 12-24II for use on the D800E.
    While it isn't sharpest lens ever made, with respect to corner rendering .. given it's other specifications, it's still a pretty good lens.
    And centre sharpness more than makes up for the lack of acuity in the corners.

Every time I look at the images this lens has made on the D800E .. I reckon I may be able to count on one finger the number of times I think back to my decision between it or the Nikon 14-24 instead.
    And even then ..... it had nothing to do with the fact that the corners were not quite sharp .. but more to do with fact that it's f/4.5 max aperture is very restrictive for some applications.

All I know is that the lens, a filter holder(admittedly hacked a little) plus two 150mm grads of reputable quality have all cost me about $1K. So I have the option to use grads if required all the way down to 12mm, without issue.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd personally be investing in some of the Sigma Art.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babu, just playing it forward. We all survive through the kindness of strangers. I would love to help you with your comparison but I do not have that lens yet.

I added Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM image samples. These were taken at a party with a 580EX II attached.

This was where I encountered an “Err 20” when I shot stills after taking 3 to 6 minute videos. Hopefully this can be solved with a simple firmware update.

Other image samples include Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM and Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM.

All of the images shared are not how Canon marketed the camera to be used as.

wideangle, prices tend to drop to actual street values after 6 months of first shipment.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dolina. I certainly hope the "Err 20" problem can be overcome with a firmware update! I do own a 24-70mm f/2.8L and 580EX II but not the 85mm f/1.2 or the 800mm f/8.6 yet. I do have a 500mm f/4L II.

wideangle, I intend to invest in some Sigma Art glass though I'm not sure which yet. I have had the opportunity for brief trials of the 50mm and the 24-105mm and liked both. When I bought the 12-24mm Sigma, an Art version did not exist. That may change - they are gradually expanding the range of offerings so I'll wait before jumping to a Canon 11-24mm

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropbox has been updated with Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM and Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 ZE

'del as Framed by alabang, on Flickr

'del at 100% by alabang, on Flickr

^^ the 2048 by something 100% magnification can be viewed at https://flic.kr/p/v4cnr1 I had to shrunk it down to half that for hotlink.

EXIF: 1/160 f/5.6 ISO 160 5DS R Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 ZE
    Last edited by dolina; 24-06-2015 at 9:50am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is canon's own recommended list of lenses that make best use of the 5ds /sR bodies.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=15356

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dug. Also on that site Bryan compares three general purpose lenses for the 5DsR: 24-70mm f/4; 24-70mm f/2.8 II; 24-105mm f/4.
    Last edited by Babu; 02-07-2015 at 10:09am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the release of this camera in the West hosted by Brodie Butler, he used a combination of lens to test the camera & loved the new canon 14-24 lens & the 70-200.
    Pixel peepers would be happy with close up of shots I saw.
    Canon 30D
    70-200 2.8
    50 1.4
    85 1.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did well to get to that event, cookey! I would love to have seen those shots.
    Did you mean the new Canon 11-24?
    I presume the 70-200 was the f/2.8 L IS II.
    I aspire to own the former lens soon but the latter lens is bound to spend a lot of time on my camera.
    Last edited by Babu; 06-07-2015 at 8:20pm.