Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Purchasing a 6D, new or second hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing a 6D, new or second hand

Hi all.

Im looking to move to full frame and have decided on the 6D.

I dont mind going second hand to save ~$500, but are there any common issues or problems with the 6D that i should keep an eye out for.
    If there are a few things that are known to go wrong on them i may go new due to the fact that i have warranty.

BUT if there arent any issues is there anything i should look for to be on the safe side such as <5,000 actuations or anything else?

Cheers,
    Luke

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Nikon man so can't help with your query, but I can tell you that you appear to be showing the first symptoms of GAS.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I'm a Nikon man so can't help with your query, but I can tell you that you appear to be showing the first symptoms of GAS.
    And what is GAS Kev?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome. (I think!)
    Some symptoms are: delusions of financial grandeur; inviting the likes of Bill Gates to your weekend barbie...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Am is spot on with GAS being Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

As I said I'm not a Canon guy but the reports I've seen on various forums, in particular astro-photography forums, have all been very positive. If you google Canon 6D you won't find heaps of forums full of complaints. Actually, I didn't see any.

re New v Used: If you buy used you get no warranty, as it is not transferable. The cheapest used 6D I can see at present is a Fleabay auction at a starting price of $1299.00 and 11,00 odd actuations. If you google Staticice you will find new 'Grey' models starting from $1463.75 + postage, no local manufacturers warranty, but some peace of mind with a sellers 'warranty'. One of our site sponsors, eGlobal, a grey market importer, has it at $1547.78 delivered.

The best local price I found with a quick look was at Ryda.com, body only for $1788.85 with two (2) years local Canon Australia warranty, and being in Sydney you could pick it up. For an extra $200 odd, I know which way I'd go. Oh, and I've bought two cameras from them with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck with your deliberations.
    Last edited by Cage; 14-06-2015 at 1:53pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that Kev.

Indeed the 6D is very good in low light, i do some astro work so thats one of the reasons im looking at the 6D.

Ill keep an eye out on ebay/gumtree or if i get impatient ill go out and grab one from Ryda.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 6D and love it. I needed a FF for wedding photography (low light capabilities) and liked the price.

To be honest, i think it's worth buying bodies second hand if you don't use your camera ALL the time- it's lenses i would be more careful with. Even better if you can take a lens along plus your own SD card and try it - why not! Like i said though, if you use your camera a lot (mine goes everywhere and is a work horse and is treated as such) then you might benefit from going brand new because it's going to be worked ruthlessly. If however you'll look after it and it won't be used regularly then save yourself some $$.

It's a great camera you won't be disappointed!
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our 6D almost two years ago and we have never had an issue with it. Works beautifully in low light and am never afraid to crank the ISO for portraits (1600-3200 ISO). Have also experimented with astro photography shooting between 8000-12800 ISO, works a treat!

I have never been fond of buying second hand equipment, however in saying this my friends buy second hand equipment without any issues. All the best!
    Canon shooter

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys.

I was thinking of going second hand (looking around $1300 for body only) but i can get a grey import for under $1500 so looks like ill go down that path.

Has anyone had experience with MACK warranty?
    Never used it before but thinking if the camera was to be dropped or damaged in a few years time.
    Comments?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.. Many years ago with my first DSLR they paid up ok
    Though being US based at the time I had to pay for it first then claim it back a lot of bother lost a bit with exchange rates looked elsewhere after that.

Put it on your Home Contents Insurance it would not cost much annually for one camera and lens, I have all my photography gear on ours.
    Make sure you buy portable insurance for it in case it happens away from your home.
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 17-06-2015 at 11:33pm. Reason: Added More.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find most people treat their camera gear respectfully - and therefore I have always bought the majority of my gear on the used market. Unfortunately the used market (apart from fleabay) in Australia is not a big market and the pickings are small.

The biggest problems I have experienced on the used market is not the quality of the gear for sale, but more and more scamsters on the likes of fleabay and gumtree.

Often bodies getting near the end of their cycle go on clearance sales from grey market providers - keep an eye out for specials on the 6D as it is nearing the end of its cycle.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point there Brian.

I see that DWI has the 6D body only for $1489 shipped.
    Thats the path that im considering at the moment.

Just not too sure if i should get the MACK warranty...... whats the liklihood of it being upgraded to 6Dii in say 2 years time?

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera comes with a 12 month warranty? If there are any problems with the camera it should have developed by then. I don't take extended warranties anymore as I felt I could spend the money better elsewhere. (new Lenses) JMHO cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you waiting for Luke. Just hit the 'Buy Now' button.

The 6D doesn't seem to have any inherent problems, DWI are offering a 'Sellers Warranty' plus you are covered under Australia's consumer protection laws.

Personally, if it has a motor or a PCB, I buy local with a manufacturer's warranty. My Nikon D600, bought from Ryda, had the dreaded oily sensor problem which was replaced by Nikon Australia. God only knows who does the grey marketers repair work, plus you have to pay to send it away for service. I looked at the $300 odd extra as insurance and peace of mind.
    But with the 6D seemingly problem free, you should be OK.
    Last edited by Cage; 18-06-2015 at 12:51pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my Canon 6D for a couple of years now, and am very impressed with the performance - especially in low light situations.
    The only problem that I have had related to the SD card not being recognized by the camera. Tried everything to fix it, but it went back to Japan under warranty and was fixed at no charge.
    Apparently this is not an uncommon problem, but fortunately it has not arisen again.
    Apart from that it is a great unit.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look what i got!!!

6D from ***name removed*** sale came to $1599
    Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, was lucky enough to pick it up from ***name removed*** for $980

Havent had a massive opportunity to use it just yet so looking forward to the weekend but looks promising so far.

***Commercial names removed per site rule 3.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-07-2015 at 8:55am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy your new toys. I've got the Tamron 24-70 VC and it's a bloody ripper of a lens. A bit of distortion under about 35mm, but easily fixed in PP, or frame a bit looser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Enjoy your new toys. I've got the Tamron 24-70 VC and it's a bloody ripper of a lens. A bit of distortion under about 35mm, but easily fixed in PP, or frame a bit looser.
    The 24-105 is my carry around lens, but the 16-35 has proved itself indoors at weddings, etc.
    I can't get over how well this camera performs in low light situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good recommendations. I am not likely to do action photography, but I would guess this camera would still be competent at capturing moving people, say kids on the netball court. I have a 40D and would like to move to FF. I had a little "play" with a pro photographers 5D and was just a tad inspired. That would be kit envy. Anyway the 6D seems to have plenty to recommend it.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I posted before, I am very happy with my 6D. Is there a way to check how many shutter actuation's the camera has had? This might be handy to know if buying one second hand.