Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Need new Specs ?

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need new Specs ?

I did recently and toddled off to the local Op Shop, no silly, not that one, the Optometrist Shop.

After much haggling, oldies discounts etc, I managed to get the price for replacement of my photocromic bifocals down to $300.00. I also ordered the on-special computer specific glasses.

When I went to pick them up the computer glasses had lens like the bottom of Coke bottles, and weighed about as much. No thank you, I got a refund. The bifocals were OK but I still needed some computer specs.

Went online and found this Zenni Optical mob in China who had an easy to follow website and very cheap prices. Googling them came up with some mixed reviews, mostly non-positive, but then I figure that for every person who has a whinge, and a lot of them were trivial, there are probably hundreds who were happy and don't bother to tell the world.

Anyway, I ordered some specs from them for computer use, $88.86 delivered to my door. The price included Anti-reflective coating (+$30.00 locally), free case and cleaning cloth, free anti scratch coating and free UV protection. WOW !! Good looking glasses too, and they work just fine.

As a matter of fact I was so pleased with them that I decided to get a spare pair of bifocals as a back-up, and to use in the car with Sunshade clip-ons as the photochromic lens only darken in direct sunlight.

I picked a nice looking pair of Titanium frames, super lightweight and hypoallergenic, and placed my order. Now this lot, bought locally, would have cost me between $500.00 and $600.00. The total cost, including Super Hydrophobic (water resistant) easy to clean anti-reflective coating and a Gradient Clip-On Sunshade, plus all the same freebies as the 'puter specs, cost me a grand total of $155.30.

Are they any good ? Well I think they look great, and are so light I hardly know I'm wearing them. In fact they are now my daily use pair, and the $300.00 jobbies , with sunshade attached, now live in the car.

I was very reluctant to trust my eyecare to an unseen Chinese practitioner, but in all truth I can't speak highly enough of their service and product.

Just thought I'd share a positive off-shore buying experience, and I really do try hard to support local businesses, but sheesh, with their pricing they make it very hard.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's fantastic to hear! I'm up for new glasses soon too, last lot cost me nearly $400! I'll definitely be checkingthem out ! thanks!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert but lenses aren't just lenses. Bad quality lenses can be detrimental to your eyes in the long run.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I'm no expert but lenses aren't just lenses. Bad quality lenses can be detrimental to your eyes in the long run.
    Cheers Mark.

I'm no expert either but I'm bloody fussy, and to be honest the Zenni pair seem clearer/sharper than the OPSM pair, which is why I'm wearing them all the time.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When ordering how do you specify the grade of the lenses ?
    I mean is it a one magnification size for all

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cage this thread demands a selfie showing you wearing your new glasses!

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    When ordering how do you specify the grade of the lenses ?
    I mean is it a one magnification size for all

cheers
    You toddle off to your local OPSM, Budget Specs or whoever, get a free eye test, make sure you get your PD (Pupil Distance) recorded, and carefully enter those results on the online order form.

Easy Peasy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enseth View Post
    Cage this thread demands a selfie showing you wearing your new glasses!
    Mate, just put a beard on Rick's avatar and there you have it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, just found the miscellaneous forum ;o) Well goodonya Kev! We have been buying our glasses from Singapore and KL when we visit. So much cheaper. And like you, we are very happy