Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Photo of the week clutter?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Photo of the week clutter?

Would others comment more on the POTW if the forum for that was not so cluttered with each new voting stage etc, and more devoted to announcing winners and resulting congrats and feedback? Maybe each weeks opening and final vote stage could be just rolled through the Sticky Thread only.
    Think the winners deserve more congrats than they’ve been getting. I’m a bit guilty here ‘cause I find the POTW forum a bit cluttered and not easy to follow.
    After all, if you play in POTW, you don’t really need all these threads to know what’s happening.
    It also may be a bit confusing for those newer to AP. They see comps and it’s dominated by threads that have no photos. Wonder whether that has something to do with the lack of entries from beginners? Are they confused?
    Just some thoughts that I’m happy to have shot down.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. So at present the voting threads automatically get stickied. Are you suggested we not stick those, but rather stick the current comp theme announcement thread and the winners threads. So just turn it around?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just drop the poll stuff from the Normal Threads is probably what I was trying to say. But that may not have promoted hopeful discussion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The polls are a thread. If we dropped them, the comp votings would not exist. The polls are part of vbulletin, and work within a thread. The comp system just grabs that process and uses it. So we are always going to have a voting poll thread.

I get what you are saying, and my idea of not stickying polls, and stickying winners and comp announcements give higher priority to those threads. The other option would be that we create a sub-forum for comp voting, off each competition forum and we put the voting into those sub-forums?

So you would have

- Photo of the Week
    - - Photo of the Week voting
    - Hostgeek Photo of the Month
    - - Hostgeek Photo of the Month Voting

etc

And the comp announcements and winners would go in the main forum, and voting in the sub-forum.

I am quite happy to hear ideas from members on this. I do agree with Mark that the comp forums can look quite messy with all the different thread related to each competition. But as we need all those threads, we need to discuss a way to make the forums cleaner, but with each of those threads still available somewhere on the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the POTW forum a bit cluttered and not easy to follow.[/QUOTE]

I had a look the other week to suss out what was what and felt the same as Mark L. It was hard to follow. Sorry I don't have any suggestions that might make it different. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX