Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photo storage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photo storage

Hi all,
    iam hoping to go to Phillip island for the moto GP.

And the question is;

do i buy a ext hard drive,(to back up the pics that i have taken) & a a 2nd hand TV from a charity store to view them on (whilst kicking back enjoying the camping lifestyle)??

or a media player & a tablet????

any suggestions ????

many thanks in advance.
    Bears Pics

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    laptop? I take my laptop with me if I want to copy files to a bigger storage space and view them while on the road etc
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philip Island today; the rest of the world tomorrow. You can guess what I'm going to say...
    anyway, Toshiba 1TB mini Ext HDD with USB3 $89 at Officeworks...
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've recently had this dilemma as we've been overseas and wasn't sure what to do. Not worried about viewing them, more as a backup. There seems no reasonably cheap device that can automatically backup SD cards. You'd think there would be something out of China with all the cheap IT stuff out there. Anyway, we risked it without a backup, but if you want to travel as light as possible but still be easy to view/backup, I would say a 'netbook' as they all tend to have SD card slots. Tablets seem a bit complicated to me to be downloading images from standard size SD cards. Some cheaper no name tablets have full size SD card slots, but most only have microSD. There is another alternative, use a microSD in an SD adaptor and put the micro sd in the tablet and use one of the apps around that you can download to do file transfers.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no idea, however you may get more responses if you post the same question here ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...e-amp-Software
    Just a thought.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a windows 8 tablet and a USB3 external drive while I travel. My photo library is always on the drive, I just use it on all my different PCs.

Having a full version of windows on a tablet is great as I can still use lightroom and DPP to organize and edit while I am away from home, without the sacrifices of an ipad for example.

here is a link to the exact tablet I have: *removed - read the site rules. In particular rules 3-7*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with äbitfishy" that getting a netbook is good if you wish to travel light. if you are lugging a backpack of lenses and 1 or 2 body, bringing additional notebook/laptop is gonna kill your back.

Else if you have $$ to burn, you can get a Wireless SD card and a Wireless harddisk, after you have taken the pictures, you can send wirelessly to your hard drive, and if you wish to view it, you can always use your smart phone to connect to the harddisk to view wirelessly.

Hope it helps.

*edited - please read the site rules - in particular rules 3-7- you cannot promote specific products till you have 30 days membership and 50 posts*
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-09-2013 at 12:35pm.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When traveling I generally take a tiny netbook and an external HDD. That's all.. I back up photos onto the netbook and the external disk, and I do a quick skim through some photos to send some to family and friends. No real processing though, I leave that until I get home.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use a netbook (250gb hard drive) with a mini external HDD for a second back up. I did consider a tablet when I bought the netbook but I rejected it as I take RAW and JPEG files and the storage in a tablet was limited. It seemed impossible at the time to buy a tablet which would have a USB port to accept a portable HDD.
    If you take JPEG files you would be able to view them on the netbook.
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All
    Last year I did a 35 day 11,00klm trip half way around Australia. Used a laptop and 2 external drives and backed up everyday. It took me a while to sort through 2500 photos in RAW but I also had my wife's JPEGs to also go through. I was safe that if one of the external drives died I also had another and also the laptop as well.
    Regards
    Wayne
    "We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
    DSLR - Olympus OMD EM1, E5, E3, E1, E30 Digital lens 12-40m pro, 14-54 f2.8-3.5 II, 40-150 f3.5-4.5, 70-300 F4-5.6 ED, 9-18 ED, Olympus C-750 + TCON-17,
    Filters, Circular Polariser, Neutral Density, 2 X Battery Grip, Photoshop CS6, Focus Magic, Nik Plugin
    SLR - OM1, Ricoh XR10 Lens - 135
    My photos - http://www.pbase.com/cherryw

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the cheapest and most convenient is to buy a handful of smaller SD cards and change them once or twice a day. That way if a SD card was to ever fail you would only lose that session of shots.

You can copy the smaller jpegs to a tablet for viewing whist still shooting with another SD card.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a laptop plus a lacie ruggedised 1Tb hdd ( picked up off eglobal for a great price.) Drop proof, splash proof, etc . I always have 2 physically separate copies of images before clearing SD card in camera.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would use SD cards, lightweight less to carry and less change of losing your images..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cheap W7 machine with CS6 and faststone for raw checking and carry a small 2TB ext hdd for storage, seems to work OK. the hdd is a rubberised one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use smaller cards and have multiples of them. this seams to work great for lightness when lugging all your gear around. i also have an iPad mini that i use the canon remote app with some times and that automatically loads up the shots to it via the app.
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with all the above about a tablet / netbook / laptop + external 1 tb hard drive. Another option I have used - if you stay in a place for a couple of days many camera stores / print outlets can burn copies of your photos to DVD or similar as 1 extra back up type. At least DVD media is not susceptible to shock (g-forces) and liquids so it is one extra layer of insurance and is often relatively cheap to make multiple copies.

I do wish that the "cloud" storage was more available, better speeds and larger capacity but it does do well if you want to save jpg versions - at least if everything went bad, you will still have the memories, even if they are not in RAW format
    ----------------------------
    The meaning of life is probably not 42.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is now a 1 or 2TB WD wireless external HDD which includes an SD slot. Cost is $249 to $269 online. May suit? I have borrowed a Digimate III in the past.
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Officeworks have the Seagate version in two sizes:
    http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...rey-sgwl1000gy
    http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...ive-sgwl2000gy

- - - Updated - - -

JB Hi-Fi has them for slightly more, plus the WD version, also in two sizes, which are more expensive but have an SD card slot:
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/wd/wd-my-passport-1tb-wireless-portable-hard-drive-black/617070/
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/wd/wd-my-passport-2tb-wireless-portable-hard-drive-black/617071/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take my 15" laptop with me when I travel, so I can edit on the road/hotel, as well as back up photos.

It's a touch heavy, especially with my camera gear and luggage bag. But it sits in the hotel room while I'm out and about. So it's only heavy to deal with to/from the airport or to/from the hotel, but generally it'll be in a bag on the floor of a bus/train or boot of a taxi! So isn't so bad to deal with?

But the suggestion of a Netbook is certainly the ideal situation, as you have a screen at least big enough to view photos, and the hard drives to back them up. They're small, light, and allows you to do small bits of digital age housekeeping if required..

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider getting a bunch of memory cards. They are so cheap now and as such its feasable to get lots of them for travel purposes. 10 years ago a 256MB memory card cost me $250, now I can get a decent fast 16GB card for $40! Out in the field having lots of memory cards saves the hassle of backing up when I could be enjoying other things when I am out doing a project and it allows time to concertrate on planning the next days shoot etc, whilst backup can be left for when I return home.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast