Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about .. Vic meetup for June 27th(Sat) @ 7AM start

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could set it for early-ish morning again like last time .. coffee and/or a spot of breakky if you're into that kind of thing.

Geoff! .. make an offer for an estimated starting time, and I'll be there.

Some info to keep in mind:

Sunrise for this date is 7:37AM .. Sunset 5:11PM
    (moon times/phases aren't particularly noteworthy tho)

So, an evening shoot, would technically be starting at about 5-5:30 or so .. so it won't be a very late day if anyone wants to hang about.

The more pertinent question is WHERE we all start the meetup .. as well as (roughly) what time.

I'm thinking, because of the parking and close proximity to town and surrounding nice garden-ish area .. up near the botanical gardens again
    Free all day parking along those side roads between the gardens and St Kilda Rd.

Leave the car there .. walk down to the river again .. coffee .. breakky(if you need it) .. etc, etc ... and then just mosey along without any sense of direction, nor a plan .. as we always seem to do it.

Once we work out the where and what time .. I'll edit the title of the thread to reflect this in the title.

I'll post my phone number in the thread(later) as a point of contact for the committed .... but also for those who may be unsure of whether they want to come not, but do decide at the last minute that they do want to join up.

In the mean time, all we can do is hope that the weather is kind to us.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still keen, will see what the wife has to say. Need to keep the boss happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.project52melbourne.com

Converted Fuji Shooter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy with any starting time... I'm planning on staying on in the city, as last time I was knackered when I got home... (Very long day)
    I also have a friend who wants to join in. He has just got himself a FF Canon 5D Mark III, and would love to discuss lens options as opposed to his old cropped lens camera.
    There is also another girl who might want to tag along, as she is doing a photography course, and has a really good eye for photography.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've missed the confirmed date, what was it?
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sat, 27th Jun.
    I'll probably start at about 7ish or so(I guess for any sunrise opportunities)

most likely, I(at least) will hang out for the entire day .. till about 6PM or so

I'll re edit the thread's title to reflect this too.

- - - Updated - - -

My mobile number is(I'll get it right this time!! )

---- --- ---(yep, got it right!)

Anyone that isn't sure whether they'll make it or not has a way to contact the meetup group to see how and where we are.
    So no excuses for not coming, if you are sitting on any fences!

If you do use that phone number to try to contact me/us, send a txt. Reason is that most likely I'll be probably doing something already, and(by implication) will almost certainly be ignoring the phone completely.
    Also, being that my attention span is measured in nanoseconds, whatever is spoken about on the phone is immediately cast to one side to allocate more memory cells in the pursuit of greater photography.
    txts are easier to remember, because you don't have too.

So the convention for communication is best represented as something like this:

member: "hey, it's <insert member name here> .. where are you guys at the moment"
    ( ... 10minutes later ... )
    me: "hi <member name> we're at <location> heading over to <another location>"

If you haven't fully understood the gist of the above .. I really hate phone conversations!
    They almost invariably come at the most inopportune moments.
    My mum is notorious for this.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 28-06-2015 at 2:21pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look what's on for Saturday.... Plenty of photo opportunities there I think... https://www.showclix.com/event/OzComicConMelbourne2015

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah .. sounds like a bit of a laugh. tickets are a bit expensive, but definitely worth a look-in at least.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    yeah .. sounds like a bit of a laugh. tickets are a bit expensive, but definitely worth a look-in at least.
    You would not have to buy tickets. There is an outside area everyone congregates that is non-paid

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, in the foyer.

You get the occasional looney teen dressed up hovering in the foyer, but the serious ones are all inside.

I'll see if I can manage to scam a few tickets if we get our regular customers with their regular deliveries this coming Wed-Thu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like it could be a plan. MM may fit in..

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I plan to get an early-ish start(hoping for a sunrise) .. my plan is to park the car near the botanical gardens(free all day parking on weekends .. IIRC)

Gardens opening times are 7:30AM to sunset every day.
    So maybe a short jaunt around the gardens could see us start the day and an easy location to gather.

There are two cafes in/at the gardens. One on the St Kilda Rd side at the main entrance, and another in the centre of the gardens at the lake.
    no idea what time they open tho.
    I'm pretty sure that the one on Birdwood Rd (St Kilda Rd side) is called the Observatory cafe, as it's close to the old domed observatory building. But can't find any opening hours info.

So far, the long range weather forecast is saying cloudy, rain and top temp of about 15°C.
    (but weather forecasters can't be trusted for truly accurate forecasts beyond about 12 hours .... so I expect it will most likely be sunny, clear and a top temp of about 25°C )

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If people want to post their phone numbers etc that is their choice, but please consider that your personal information then is available to ALL members and in some forums, publicly visible to anyone on the net who decides to view the forum/thread.

Site Rules
    [15] All information that you disclose may become public information and caution should be exercised when deciding to share any personal information or discussing another person, website or organisation on the site. This includes providing your address, phone number or other personal information to another member. Please exercise caution. You are legally responsible for all content that you load to the site. The Administrator(s) reserve the right to access any or all content that you transmit using the site or that may be stored within the site and its databases.

Just something to consider
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    If people want to post their phone numbers etc that is their choice, but please consider that your personal information then is available to ALL members and in some forums, publicly visible to anyone on the net who decides to view the forum/thread.

Site Rules
    [15] All information that you disclose may become public information and caution should be exercised when deciding to share any personal information or discussing another person, website or organisation on the site. This includes providing your address, phone number or other personal information to another member. Please exercise caution. You are legally responsible for all content that you load to the site. The Administrator(s) reserve the right to access any or all content that you transmit using the site or that may be stored within the site and its databases.

Just something to consider
    At our age, we'd consider ourselves lucky if someone sees our number and starts making obscene phone calls to us

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happened to us once. It was not pleasant.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It happened to us once. It was not pleasant.
    You're obviously better looking than me. I even accept reverse charge calls from obscene phone callers

In all seriousness I do know what you mean. I'm not sure if it may be a better solution to try organise a whatsapp vic meetup setup used for these kinds of scenarios so people request access along with their user name and all users can interact on the day. That way people don't have to give out their contact details.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always the PM method. A person could coordinate the meet, collect phone nos by PM,
    then send the same PM to all other participants. Like, if you coordinate, you send all interested parties the same PM
    via multiple recipients; they reply with contact details to you; then you collate and re-distribute.

Just an idea, maybe not the best, but it eliminates the need for whatsapp.
    Am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the post that was said....
    All we need now is names of those attending...
    You can PM your phone numbers to Arthur if you wish. Just in case you have trouble finding us.

A meeting point could be the entrance to the botanical gardens on the War Memorial side. Here parking is free for the day. So will be a great spot to start off from.

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will edit out the phone numbers listed here either Friday night, or Saturday morning(just before I leave).
    It's only there for anyone that hasn't yet decided whether they want to come along .. and may decide at the last moment.

As for the weather .. it's looking likely to be fine, rather than the rainy, inclement weather that the idiots at the weather bureau had initially predicted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to have to pass this time ladies and gents, at camp diabetes with my daughter (which my wife just reminded me about). Let's start planning another pretty soon.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cannot catch a break with these meet ups. Usually, it's on a day that's not good for me but this time, even though I have time off from work (night shift), I have the beginnings of a sore throat which usually heralds the onset of something that ain't good. One day, I'll make it to one of these things - even if it kills me .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast