User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: New k-3 firmware v1.21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New k-3 firmware v1.21

An update of the firmware for the K-3 has been released, see here http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engli...ital/k3_s.html

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the heads up, Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone with a K-3 upgraded to v1.21 yet?
    Any indication that there has been any change/improvement to auto-focus for your lenses?
    The reason I ask is that there was some suggestion that the auto-focus had been improved on the K-3ii, and curious to know if this improvement has now been ported to K-3.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you...done
    Pentax K-1, K-3 and some lovely, mostly Pentax, mostly prime lenses - DFA 15-30, 24-70, and 100 Macro, FA 31, 43, and 77 Ltd, DA* 200 & 50-135, DA 12-24, 20-40 (ltd), 15, 21, 35 (Ltd) Macro, 40, 50, plus a couple of manuals from way back and a few others for good luck.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed, all good
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    Although, I usually only update the firmware if it's going to be beneficial to me. I prefer others to be the beta testers. I'm still on v1.11 (installed due to an episode of mirror flap). V1.20 was to accommodate for the new lenses, which I don't have, and won't have anytime soon...and the latest is a correction to the previous firmware's bug which turns on the back LCD when the shutter release is half-pressed. As for the "Improved stability for general performance" aspect that seems to accommodate every firmware upgrade, I'm not convinced. If it was anything significant, they'd mention it specifically. I'll probably install it after I see that no one has had issues with it. Call me skeptically cautious.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erds, now that you're on this forum and have implicitly asked a question as to practice, may I say that by installing the latest
    firmware you are NOT beta-testing. That has already been done. You are just getting the benefits of an improvement.

Generally, most users (OK, everybody I know) update to the latest firmware. I certainly do.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 'general stability' fixes are important.
    They don't enumerate them but they are fixes to odd glitches found by the service department around the globe.
    Chances are you may get a lock up (I have on older firmware) where you need to remove batteries to clear it; the newer firmware have solved this for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Those 'general stability' fixes are important.
    They don't enumerate them but they are fixes to odd glitches found by the service department around the globe.
    Chances are you may get a lock up (I have on older firmware) where you need to remove batteries to clear it; the newer firmware have solved this for me.
    It seems to have fixed the lock up for me too...and I haven't had the mirror flap again. I hope both problems stay away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone know if there is a way to download it directly without using an SD card?
    Pentax K-3 DSLR 18-55 Pentax zoom Sigma 18 -220 zoom, Pentax DA F1.8 50mm prime and Sigma 70 -300 zoom

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maishy. Do you mean directly to the camera? If so, I would doubt that you can.
    AFAIK - from doing this quite a few times over the years - cameras are "programmed" to look for
    firmware update files in the root directory of their storage media (mine, a mix of SD and CF cards).

So basically I would:
    1. Download from site to computer.
    2. Copy file (after running a good security check over it) to appropriate storage card...
    - you can either hook the camera to computer by USB cable, or put the card into a card reader...
    - paste the copied file straight onto the drive letter - eg, say "E: Pentax"...
    3. Put card into camera and switch on, then find your firmware update menu and follow it.

NOTE: the process can take a few minutes, and my camera settings WARN me to make sure I have a full battery
    before proceeding, so that it doesn't crash out and - &%*&*^#*(&40(*& - who knows what?!

Ie, it's a cakewalk.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: The update file does not take up much space, and you can delete it later if it's a problem.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-07-2015 at 10:35am.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

So basically I would:
    1. Download from site to computer.
    2. Copy file (after running a good security check over it) to appropriate storage card...
    - you can either hook the camera to computer by USB cable, or put the card into a card reader...
    - paste the copied file straight onto the drive letter - eg, say "E: Pentax"...
    3. Put card into camera and switch on, then find your firmware update menu and follow it.
    Make sure you read the 'destructions' on the web site...the Pentax firmware file usually has to be de-archived before copying onto SD card.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, TC. Mine seems to (if compressed at all) unpack on the fly.
    Looking up the Pentax updating, I see some people have had problems de-archiving.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    That's interesting, TC. Mine seems to (if compressed at all) unpack on the fly.
    The windows firmware update file is supposed to be self extracting, but not the one for Mac/OSX which one would also grab if using Linux.

Cheers,
    Terry