Just thought I’d share this.

I approached a fella taking photo’s at a footy match one day a year ago, he shared his Ebay experience with me, it was all good. I started searching for a camera based on price and some reviews (not really understanding reviews at that stage). To end up with the Canon EOS 70D was a huge step for me after a $300 point and shoot. Being a Canon the one year warranty offered by the seller didn’t worry me, well, three weeks after the twelve months I encountered an err 30 (shutter issue), all suggestions from Google did not clear it so it went to Canon. The assessment was a faulty shutter mechanism. The $400 I saved on Ebay was gone due to no Australian warranty. I appealed to the Canon people that a Canon is a Canon and they should not be happy with this happening to a new model, they ended up wavering the parts cost.

This happened as I was about to head off on a road trip and it highlighted the need for a back up camera so I started looking for a second hand camera that would take the lenses I had and just do the job. Once again I was drawn to Ebay, watching and bidding for four days. I wandered into a camera shop while in Albury and the sales person convinced me that my 70d should be my backup camera and for shooting sport I should have the 7D Mark ii as my primary camera. It went against my economic sense but I am now the proud owner of a 7D Mark ii.

My Ebay experiences have all been positive but I will be weighing up the consequences a bit better for big ticket items in the future.......