User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Here's a photograph you're not allowed to take!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a photograph you're not allowed to take!

Here's a photo (several, actually) that you're not allowed to take - of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I was standing there a few days ago (says he casually as a throw away line) admiring the ceiling which has been restored and is an amazing sight. In the crush of the mob loudspeakers kept warning me that photos and videos of the ceiling are not allowed. They also instructed us that absolute silence was required, a rather contrary amplified command that ironically made more noise than the assembled masses they were trying to silence!

Now I've been here before, and was greatly disappointed on that occasion not to have been able to photograph the ceiling, but unfortunately on this most recent occasion my thumb kept slipping on to the shutter button (the camera held at waist level) causing the camera to take multiple shots. What was even more coincidental was the fact that the camera happened to be pointed at the ceiling at the time, and to my amazement I ended up with stitch-able shots which yielded the image shown below.

I generally respect instructions involving art works, and the damage flash can cause - however my camera does not have a flash. In addition, in the Sistine Chapel the ban on photographs originated out of a copyright agreement which has now expired. I tend to evaluate the moral/ethical considerations and apply my own standards, and if I consider that I am causing no harm then I go with my own conscience. I am very happy indeed to have at least some record of one of my "bucket list" items rather than having to rely on my virtually useless memory.

small_sistine chapel.jpg

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob, not bad for shooting from the hip...your secret is safe with me (Promise)

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I'm glad your finger slipped. That looks 10 X better than I've seen in any other photo. Does it look as good in real life? Now I want to go there and look.

No doubt it is photographed 1000's times a day now, but few people would have the knowledge to photo stitch them well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely accidentally taken
    On our trip over there, my wife was the master of taking pics in places they weren't allowed.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    Does it look as good in real life? Now I want to go there and look.
    Better!! It's fantastic when you consider how long it took (4 years) and the fact that it's basically all one man's work. It's one of those things you can't really absorb within the short time you stand there - and I really wanted my own photo of it. Buying a book or a postcard just isn't the same. It's recently been restored and the colour is bright and the impact fantastic - you just have to put up with a zillion other people all milling around (plus a wife who thinks you're about to be nailed upside down for taking photos!)

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beatiful work. Funny thing that, I had the same problem in the Victoria and Albert museum and at St Pauls in London..... damn thumb just wouldn't take no for an answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you naughty boy Bob........I too have one of these
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I generally respect instructions involving art works, and the damage flash can cause - however my camera does not have a flash...........
    A pathetic attempt at an excuse concocted simply to sell over priced tourist goods.
    Don't believe any such silly sign that pretends to protect any artworks from the inconsequential output of almost all consumer level flashes, no matter how many of these flashes are fired per day.

Oh! .... and nicely done considering the limitations imposed on you there.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    you naughty boy Bob........I too have one of these
    My wife is not amused! She is a very ethical, moral person and scolds me frequently for transgressions like this ....... however, it's amazing what a little jewellery can do to distract her ....

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice accidental work. I like it a lot.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having never seen it and very unlikely to visit any time within the next decade or so (it's low on my list), I can only say a huge thank you for breaking rules.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bit prophetic,* Bob. When I was there in 1998, the ONLY restriction was on the use of flash.
    Of course, there were plenty of eedgets using flashes.

Nice shot here. Don't worry! I'm not awed that you got into the Vatican Museums, because I know you
    had to line up for hours anyway

*Read "pathetic", but given the subject matter and the milieu...
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-06-2015 at 3:25pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Having never seen it and very unlikely to visit any time within the next decade or so (it's low on my list), I can only say a huge thank you for breaking rules.
    It's pretty amazing what these guys produced back then - I still struggle with drawing stick figures!

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    That's a bit prophetic,* Bob. When I was there in 1998, the ONLY restriction was on the use of flash.
    Of course, there were plenty of eedgets using flashes.
    Yup ... doesn't matter where you go, people flash away without knowing how to turn it off - or not caring. My camera doesn't even *have* a flash! (Canon 6D). Mind you, some years ago I too made the mistake of not turning off my flash - nearly ended up in Siberia because of that .... the Russian guards were not amused when I accidentally flashed a Picaso in the Hermitage! I'm not so much of an idiot now .....

Nice shot here. Don't worry! I'm not awed that you got into the Vatican Museums, because I know you
    had to line up for hours anyway
    Nah ..... got caught that way last time. This time I bought tickets on-line and walked straight past the looooong queues!

Mind you, you still have to walk a very long way past other amazing stuff before you get to the Sistine!

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your wife...............
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    I like your wife...............
    You'd have liked her even more if you'd known about our Jewellery/Camera agreement. She gives me a blank cheque to buy whatever camera gear I like ..... as long as she can buy equal value in jewellery ! Works for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tsk,tsk,tsk. That "no photographs" rule is in place so that people can't go home and re-create the same scene in their bedroom. I bet you're planning a trip to the art supply store to buy some oil paints and brushes. Anyway, good job shooting from the hip.

Regards
    Glen1
    Regards

Glen1

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a lovely painting!
    Last edited by Analog6; 06-06-2015 at 6:55am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    You'd have liked her even more if you'd known about our Jewellery/Camera agreement. She gives me a blank cheque to buy whatever camera gear I like ..... as long as she can buy equal value in jewellery ! Works for me!
    I do foresee some issues with this arrangement at some point in the future tho!

Canon photographic gear seems to have a directly proportional relationship between cost and size(bigger generally costs more) .... whereas with jewellery the relationship between cost and size seems to favour the inversely proportional rule.

So as you both raise your respective stakes at burdening the cheque account, my guess is that at some point in the future you will end up blinking first!

y'know .. that $100K, 1200mm f/5.6 is damned big and heavy!!

If I were you Bob .. I'd be doing some more work on this 'arrangement' before the missus figures out a way to use it to her advantage!
    ( I dunno .. but maybe a dollar per kg on any goods clause, or something else to similar effect )

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has an "arrangement" with me. She goes on an overseas holiday. period. I try and scrounge what's left over to buy some gear. The last two times I was actually quite successful as I got 70-200 2.8 ii and 100-400 ii. Can't wait for her to go next year when the 5D4 comes out. hehehehe.
    I think your arrangement might be cheaper than mine. Try selling her some of that fools gold jewellery? The one where they wave some real gold over the top of cheap jewellery.