User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: nVidia Driver 352.86 for Windows 7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nVidia Driver 352.86 for Windows 7

Anybody else getting repeated crashing of this driver? It is apparently widespread. The only solution I have found that works for me is rolling back to an earlier version. On my PC with a GTX660 and a GTX750 GPU card installed, I'd get a weird psychedelic flashing screen which would sometimes recover, but more often not. This usually happened when using Mozilla, photoshop, or IE, but sometimes when none of those were running. Others has simply experienced momentary screen freezes or the screen going black.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the issue years ago and it created massive problems for me with having to roll back a couple of times. Ultimately it was what pushed me down the Mac path. I now have both Mac and a Surface Pro 3 and find I have a lot less hassles with having both hardware and software from the same supplier as it seems like it gets tested more thoroughly.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has only just happened to me from last week when the update installed. PITA. Rolled back to 337.88 from last year. Seems to be okay now, but it will be a bit dicey upgrading to new versions in future. Adobe Flash Player is another that crashes after updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems for me so far, have about 5-10 pc's where I work not having any issues yet either?

Win 7 pro 64bit? Couple of the PC's in the office are running GTX750s as well with no issues.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! Problem not fixed. Must be something else crashing the GPU drivers. My money is on Adobe Flash Player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New update out now 353.06, maybe that might help?
    Cheers
    Jeremy

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't hurt. I haven't had a crash for 24 hours now, but I changed browsers to Mozilla's 64-bit version too and that seems to have helped. Updated Java and Adobe Flash Player too. Of course I haven't been editing in photoshop either, so when I do that again, I may see more crashes. Some google searches brought up some interesting comments on a Mozilla developers' site about the cause and whether they should work on a bug fix, or wait to see whether nVidia's fix worked. From memory the site was Bugzilla and they were bug-fixers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has also been a few dodgy windows updates go out recently that caused some crashing....one was KB3046002...can't remember or find the info on the others....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw crap! Just recalibrated my screen using ColorMunki and the driver crashed again. It also crashed CS6 with an OpenGL error. Not happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Aw crap! Just recalibrated my screen using ColorMunki and the driver crashed again. It also crashed CS6 with an OpenGL error. Not happy!
    What was the error code number? You running the latest updates for CS6? Is your BIOS up to date?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    What was the error code number? You running the latest updates for CS6? Is your BIOS up to date?
    Sorry, didn't record the error window's contents. All of my software is up to date. Whenever I have issues such as this the first thing I do is get the latest updates. Bios might be another issue though. This is a new motherboard. It's exactly the same make and model as the old one it replaced. The bios is later than my original though and has a very different look. I stopped updating my bios on the older board a few years ago. The new one came with a 2013 edition bios pre-installed even though the board was first released in 2010. In fact when I got it, I suspected that it was a "return". Still it functioned okay for about a month before any crashes. I really thought this one was fixed until yesterday's crash right after calibrating. Might uninstall the colormunki smile and see if that makes a difference over a period of a week or so. Problem is I have customer orders to do and the new monitor was way off when I first used it. My prints came back looking like $hit. Might go back to the old monitor too for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bios might be another issue though.
    I have had some funny issues lately PC's I have recently built using brand new components and the cause has been the BIOS they come with from factory....Might be worth updating seeing as its pretty quick and easy these days. Admittedly though it might be longshot as the problem does sounds like it is graphics related....

- - - Updated - - -

Bios might be another issue though.
    I have had some funny issues lately PC's I have recently built using brand new components and the cause has been the BIOS they come with from factory....Might be worth updating seeing as its pretty quick and easy these days. Admittedly though it might be longshot as the problem does sounds like it is graphics related....

Edit: Have you tried going back to a single graphics card....?
    Last edited by JJM; 04-06-2015 at 9:46am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Edit: Have you tried going back to a single graphics card....?
    No I haven't yet. I'll see how it runs today before I open it up. It's processing 9,000 PSD files right now, and I'm just going to let it run till it either finishes or crashes.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest driver from nVidia has fixed my screen crashes. Fingers crossed, but I haven't had a crash since installing it. I have no idea what they changed, and they're not saying in the guff about the driver either.