Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shout Box / Chat : Ongoing use : feedback please

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shout Box / Chat : Ongoing use : feedback please

We have now had the chat system open for members for 24 hours as a trial. If you have not used it, or looked at it so far, please feel free to take a look. Just click on the 'general photography' tab in the chat system and give it a go.

We will leave the chat open for the entire weekend, so more members can check it out.

Future Plans.
    We do not plan to have the chat system available 24/7/365. Our plan is to pre-announce on the forums a set date and time that chat will be open and a topic for that chat session.

Members who are interested in the topic, or perhaps who just want to learn more about photography can join in the chat when it is open. It will be very informal, but there will be a set topic for debate/discussion/knowledge sharing.

For example, we might post in the forums "The Ausphotography Q & A chat room will be open Wednesday 20th May 2015 between 8.00pm and 9.00pm AEST, for a discussion on The Benefits/Disadvantages of shooting in Raw/JPG". So members that are interested in learning more about that, or feel they have information to share with others can join in and ask questions/give answers during that chat session. All sessions will be announced with several days notice, and the topic will be given at that time.

We envisage the chat system will be a good place for more advanced/intermediate members to help beginners understand more about photography, or even have an in-depth discussion on some of the more technical aspects, things like colourspaces etc, in a less formal setting than the forums. We also hope to get some 'guest' chat members on board to let you talk to them about their photography, processing, get advice, ideas etc. Even things like photography in a particular country, where to go, etc. The chat sessions will be moulded based on what members want.

General banter between members is also not an issue. We would ask that members participating respect others views, and if you do disagree, keep it to the topic and why. Personal comments (other than general banter) will not be tolerated. We do have the ability to ban someone from using chat permanently or temporarily. We hope we do not have to use that feature.

So now, over to you. Feedback time.

1. Do you think the chat system used as described above would be something you will participate in, even if just occasionally?

2. How often would you like to see the chat open for a topic discussion? A few times a week, once a week, fortnightly? And for how long. An hour, a few hours, half a day, a whole day?

3. Are there any discussion topics you would like us to consider, if so, what and why?

4. Do you think the chat system is a good idea for others, but not something you would use?

5. Do you think it is not a good idea, and that we should not have it at all?

Tell us what you think, cause your replies here will help us decide if we keep the chat, or not. How often we use it, and what for, if we do keep it.

Looking forward to getting your opinions.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-05-2015 at 8:23am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I'd like to leave it open in trial mode until late Sunday (after comp changeover) which will allow regulars to have a go

2. I'll open it for new members as well shortly (currently 50+ posts)

3. I agree that it should be used for a purpose
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Do you think the chat system used as described above would be something you will participate in, even if just occasionally? Yes, but probably only occasionally depending on what is being discussed or if I see something interesting being talked about.

2. How often would you like to see the chat open for a topic discussion? A few times a week, once a week, fortnightly? And for how long. An hour, a few hours, half a day, a whole day? I don't mind if its there all the time or not.

3. Are there any discussion topics you would like us to consider, if so, what and why? I think some discussions on future competitions or themes would be good. I'd also like to see some general discussions on workflows and techniques that are being used.

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a useful way to conduct a photo critique session? A weekly even maybe where some members photos could be selected for a live critique. This would allow the image maker to respond to comments and ask questions . Photos for critique could be submitted and randomly drawn , or a sort of comp could be held to vote for this weeks critique photos withthe top 4 going through. Could probably get through 4 photo's in a 1 hr session.

Just an idea .
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Ausphotography Regular MissionMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea to do a live critique.

I think it may also be using this for a portfolio reviews. I.e. people submit a group of 10 of their best photos for a portfolio review and people can give feedback on the photos as a whole, which photos they like, don't like, which should be removed because they don't add value, which are too similar etc.
    Fuji XT-2, Fuji VPB-XT2, Fujinon 16-55 f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140 f/2.8, Fujinon 23 f/2, Fujinon 35 f2, Fujinon 90 f/2, Yongnuo YN560 IV, Yongnuo YN560 TX, Benro C3580T
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/atholhill
    https://www.instagram.com/themissionman/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it and think its a good idea and I am likely to participate.
    No sure at this stage how often I would like to see it open or how long it should remain open. I think that will depend a bit on how people use it. I see the disadvantage of only opening it for a short time is that those people who do not login regularly would miss some good discussions.
    I like Brads idea of critique sessions. I think this is a great way to improve your photography, both getting a critique and also giving it as it forces you to think about the photo and analyses it not just say great shot.
    Perhaps you could also run a "dumb" question night (maybe a better title would be in order). ie put up those questions you may be think to simple (or too embarrassed) to start a dedicated thread on.
    It would also be great to have "how do you do it" topics or "tips and tricks". These could relate to all sorts of things from a range of photographing techniques to post processing.
    Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will it be visible once closed, i would imagine several people having the same questions related to any one subject, so it might be helpful to be able to see and review a chat even if your not available at the time to participate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards

Wayne

Nikon D610, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5, Manfrotto & MeFOTO tripods, Ninja pano head & LEE filters

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can i see it from taptalk?

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wayn0i View Post
    can i see it from taptalk?
    No and extremely unlikely to ever be available as it is a 3rd party add-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    copy that

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wayn0i View Post
    Will it be visible once closed, i would imagine several people having the same questions related to any one subject, so it might be helpful to be able to see and review a chat even if your not available at the time to participate?
    No but we could copy the chat to a new thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good outcome, we could have a history of all the chats

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for it.

I think a couple of times a week, with a specified subject, would be well received.
    Cheers
    Kev

D800 & GAS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great thoughts above, I like the idea...not sure if I'll participate every time but hopefully add my 2 cents worth when I feel I can....

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback so far. the chat will be open as a trial till Sunday night, so please have a look, give it a go, and come back and tell us what you think.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it should be done no more than once a week. I can see it detracting from participation and threads on the main body of AP. This is also why I'm not sure about having a CC session or portfolio thing for comment. This is already available. It's called AP!
    It should be used as an event type thing. Make us look forward to it.
    It also needs to be open for a reasonable amount of time to cover peoples opportunity to participate.
    All the info also needs to be saved and displayed somewhere so anyone that couldn't participate can access (and comment on?) the hopefully useful invo.
    Occasional Q&A sessions? "We have ....... , well know photog (or PPing guru, whatever) who is happy to answer your question for 2 hours? (just broke Ricks budget)

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark has beat me to what I would say (as usual!)

I like the idea in theory. Anything is worth trying at least once.

We have forums and threads to already discuss many topics, so I wouldn't run too many chat sessions in competition with normal forum activity.

All of us have busy lives elsewhere and many demands on our life. If chat sessions are short, you are going to restrict the numbers of participants, because we all come on here at all different times of days. I guess that is why forums eventuated... we don't have time to sit and "chat" any more, but can come and add to a thread when we have time.

I would probably participate, but as around midnight is the most suitable time for me, I guess I may not be participating in many sessions

Something else to consider, it not everyone has a fast typing speed. I sometimes forget that when chatting to a friend whom can only peck away with one finger. That means I can say 10 times more than they can in 1 minute. It can be frustrating for slow typists to get involved with a fast moving conversation. Great practise for improving typing speeds though

Some guest 'speakers" would be great.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My thoughts on chat and the feedback so far.

Firstly we cannot post a photo into the chat, so the photo would need to be on the forums, and the forums are for CC, so doing that kinda defeats the purpose. However, I can see benefit in running a 'How to provide constructive critique' chat, where we do post a photo in the forums and then more advanced users chat with those less experienced at giving CC, how to go about it, pointing out things like sharpness issues, focus issues, composition issues etc so those starting out giving CC learn more about how to evaluate a photo to let them give good CC.

Second, thanks for the advices on the length of time the Q & A sessions would be open. Certainly 12 or 24 hours seems more reasonable based on feedback here. We could also change the day of the week of each session, so that those who say cannot get online on a Wednesday do not miss out on all sessions, by choosing a different day each time.

I agree re not doing it to often as it will detract from the forums, once a week or perhaps even once a fortnight would probably be quite enough.

We could also have chat sessions on things like 'themes for the 2016 members challenge', where those that do the challenge get to interact in a chat about where we go with that forum for 2016, etc, and then that chat gets copied into a thread that is used as the basis for the ongoing planning of the members challenge. I do not see a chat taking away from the forums in that regard.

I even thought of things like a 'how to vote' chat, where beginners and those not used to voting on photo competitions can get some guidance on how to score entries, what to consider when looking at each entry, etc. In the forums if we have a thread like that, people tend to just click 'thanks' whereas in an informal chat, they might be more encouraged to ask a question as the discussion flows along.

The things we could use chat for are endless, but as others have said, we do not want to do it, to the detriment of the forums. We want chat to be an enhancement to the site, an add-on, not a diversion.

Keep the comments, suggestions, ideas, etc coming, please!
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-05-2015 at 8:28am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this is something I will use. Timing is one thing. Everything else seems to be covered by AP. Happy to be proven wrong. Then again this might suit others who have a different mindset than me. (read younger) I use IM with the B in Law who lives in the country and other than a few short messages I would rather pick up the phone. YOMV cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian. Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    I don't think this is something I will use...Everything else seems to be covered by AP...cheers Brian
    How about for the odd throw-away line?

CC, Image editing OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast