User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Possible site feature : Ausphotography Q & A

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Possible site feature : Ausphotography Q & A

As some of you may be aware, we have a chat system installed on the site. Up till now the admin/mod team are the only ones with access. It is where we talk about ideas for the site, or start discussions on comp themes and more.

This chat system has the ability for us to create a members chat area. In the past we have swayed away from that cause if tempers get frayed in a chat, things can be said in the heat of the moment that maybe should not have been, ruining the AP experience for those in chat at the time.

The mods and I are now talking about opening up the chat system for members, but not on a full-time basis.

Our idea is that we setup some "Ausphotography Q & A" sessions. We pre-arrange a date and time that the chat will be open and we have a specific topic for that session, and members can come in and we can have an informal chat about whatever the topic is. Ie, we could plan a chat on 'Raw file processing' or 'How to take long exposures', or 'Shooting for sport' or even get some of the very experienced AP members in for others to talk to them about their shooting and processing. In fact we could have "Ausphotography Q & A" on a huge range of topics.

We envisage most of these chats would last about an hour, and everyone and anyone could come in and participate in the discussion.

So with all this concept in mind, would you like us to see if we can offer "Ausphotography Q & A" chat sessions at pre-planned times as part of what is offered on AP? And what sort of topics would you like to see?

Whilst we need to check a few things to ensure the software will allow this, so we cannot guarantee it will happen, we hope it can, but want your thoughts on it.

Over to you to tell us what you think!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were to happen, there maybe some information contained in the chat that could be useful for those that don't/can't participate in the chat. So saving all the chats in a sub-forum somewhere on AP may also become a useful source of information.
    Might teach us all about arguing a point.

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see much difference between starting a Q&A session , or starting a new thread and asking a question to which everyone then contributes , except for the time scale . The Q&A might last an hour and the thread discussion can last for weeks .
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the chat is good for dealing with immediate issues or for a group discussion/presentation that people can drop into when an event is on. I'm with Brad in terms of having the whole community being able to see the thread of what is being talked about.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tend to agree with what Brad said.
    Though a Q&A may create anticipation and participation and off the cuff ideas that a thread on any given subject might not.
    If there was a Q&A that left me with further questions then I'd have to start a thread for further discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a great idea. Chats less formal and more natural for a lot of folks than a thread. It often also encourages a diverse range of questions and less being led to an answer due to its more interactive and conversational nature. I'd be keen to see this idea progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trial enabled
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Active members with 50+ posts only at this stage

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have the chat active for members and you are free to test it out today. Please click the 'general photography' tab in the chat box to access the members chat area.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So for those that have used it, and those that haven't, what do you think of it?

Me personally would find it boring sitting there all day with chat when most members are not online and I asked a question and no one answered. But if we only opened it up for use during an event that was pre-planned and advised to members, would you try and come online to get involved.

For example, if chat was not available most of the time, but we announced that on Wednesday night between 7.00pm and 8.00pm chat would be open and we would be talking about 'how to vote on competitions' or 'how to take a great sunrise photo' or 'how to improve my photos'. And the chat was only open for that time, would you try and login and join in the discussion?

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's a good idea Rick, to nominate a day and time, and a specific chat topic.
    Cheers
    Kev

D600 : D7200 and too much stuff to list