Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Camera Insurance Recommendation

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Insurance Recommendation

This goes hand in hand and once the gear accumulates so does the need of insurance
    I have a house policy coming up for renew so thats one to get a quote on
    My question is which suits is another question ..... but relative to insurance who has gotten a
    good deal weather its bundled or got with a broker ... to cover at home and while is portable
    and on a meet or in the boot while traveling locally and excess to the policy

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We extended our home and contents insurance policy to cover gear when it's outside the home. We found that more cost effective than a stand alone policy. We just gave the insurance company a list of serial numbers and values and it's covered when travelling in Australia, or anywhere outside the home. If we buy a new lens I just phone and advise them. If travelling outside of Australia it is covered under our travel insurance policy. Now that we are retired, on a fixed income and travelling more I feel this was a worthwhile investment.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same as Lplates above, all my photography gear is covered with my House and Contents Insurance including accidently damage if I drop it.
    If I buy a new item I ring them up and insure it immediately I do not wait till the policy is due. The gear I take out and on holidays has portable insurance also.
    I did find travel insurance did not cover the cost of what I took overseas even when paying extra for a higher limit.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    We extended our home and contents insurance policy to cover gear when it's outside the home. We found that more cost effective than a stand alone policy. We just gave the insurance company a list of serial numbers and values and it's covered when travelling in Australia, or anywhere outside the home. If we buy a new lens I just phone and advise them. If travelling outside of Australia it is covered under our travel insurance policy. Now that we are retired, on a fixed income and travelling more I feel this was a worthwhile investment.
    Hi checking out the site and I came across your post
    What sort of value did you nominate and what about excess?
    I would be very happy to hear from other people who have gone down this road and what they have experienced if they have needed to make a claim
    I have found to date that my company wants me to use an extra policy as they consider that I am semi professional with the equipment that i wanted to insure That is far from the case I am just an enthusiastic amatuer whom appreciates quality equipment

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc163 View Post
    What sort of value did you nominate and what about excess?
    Truthfully nominate the replacement cost of the gear that you have. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc163 View Post
    I have found to date that my company wants me to use an extra policy as they consider that I am semi professional with the equipment that i wanted to insure
    Even more simple, when you have quotes from realistic insurers, tell your present insurer that you aren't interested in their upselling tactics.

Insurance companies are like socks, they are meant to be changed every year to ensure freshness.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Truthfully nominate the replacement cost of the gear that you have. Simple.

Even more simple, when you have quotes from realistic insurers, tell your present insurer that you aren't interested in their upselling tactics.

Insurance companies are like socks, they are meant to be changed every year to ensure freshness.
    I do like your last statement
    But what I would like to know is who are the most reliable and what is considered to be a fair premium
    I have run my own business for too many years ( and am now retiring ) know that anyone is in business to make a profit just to survive but still do want to be "ripped"

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did end up add them onto my content insurance and with a nil excess it work out OK
    Well see for next year quote

cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    T... to cover at home and while is portable and on a meet or in the boot while traveling locally and excess to the policy
    What does "on a meet" mean?

Rhetoric question, no need to answer. Having read the phrase in your OP I just want to make a few observations:

If for example 'on a meet' means that the camera equipment is being used for photography that you do as a source of income, then my experience is that the common householders' policies do not cover that.

Or for another example, if I were a tradesman and bought my camera and claimed it as a tax deduction, even a partial tax deduction to use it at my work to take photos of jobs I was doing, then the as I've had this scenario explained to me by a Tax Agent, my camera would be bought as if it were a 'tool of trade' and therefore it would not be covered by my householders insurance.

And as a third observation , if 'on a meet' means that the camera is being used for photography to generate an income, then I think that far more important than tools of trade insurance, is for one to have Public Liability - (Personal Injury and Property Damage) Insurance.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these guys

http://www.photoinsurance.com.au/

I have $21 000 of gear insured, main two bodies and main two lenses, cost is around $620 with a $250 excess (additional $250 if stolen from a car). The cover covers theft, loss and damage at home or away including international.

I've never had the need to use them so can't really comment on how good they are when making a claim but I had several recommendations and good reviews which is why I went with them.

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meet is when we organise a day where photographers can meet to photo sunrise sunsets etc
    Not meant a source of income

cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone here with experience claiming from the Canon Equipment Insurance? They seem to be heaps more value compared to my contents insurance for home.

​Please refer to the site rules about new member restrictions on recommending products or services.
    Last edited by I @ M; 13-12-2016 at 11:06am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an Insurance Broker i have seen far too many claims go sideways real fast when it comes to expensive single items (Cameras and Lenses are typical examples) because they (The insurance companies) don't understand how something that expensive can be used privately and not to make money.

My best advice would be to get insurance through a broker (no not a plug just honest advice). My biggest reason is that you then have one single point of contact for all insurance matters. another problem with dealing direct with insurance companies is that 9.9 times out of 10 when you call them you are speaking to a salesperson whose sole job is to sell you something new or increase your existing cover even though you may not need it. A broker is an adviser and any good broker wont be getting paid directly by any one insurance company so they have no allegiance to any single company.

TL;DR - most insurance company employees don't actually know about insurance so go through a broker because they do.

If anyone has any questions i would be more than happy to help through PM.

Cheers,

S.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The better part of my camera gear went missing when our house was burgled in 2014. A great mixture of cameras, lenses and accessories, some brand new and some very old. I hadn't told my home and contents insurer about any of it specifically when insuring, but they treated me very sympathetically, and I wound up with a $10 000 credit at Teds, which pretty much covered all the losses, and even arguably left me better off thanks to a bit of modernisation and rationalisation.

For whatever that's worth.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I hadn't told my home and contents insurer about any of it specifically when insuring, but they treated me very sympathetically,
    So what company was that Jim. They deserve naming I'd have thought.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. It was AAMI.