User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Can you make a good living in photography?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you make a good living in photography?

I'm looking into career/profession choices since my little guy is heading off to school next year I want to start getting myself organised for the workplace which includes research! I have 3 pathways i'd love to do, one being a photography business. I'm wondering if it is possible to make a living out of this profession, is it worth the time and money spent on study and set up? I have a hubby and 4 kidlets so I want to be able to help support my family as well as do something I love. Would love some input/advice from those that run their own photography business.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LS. Don't exclude advice from those who don't run their own business.

From reading the quite few such threads over the years, on various forums, some essential factors stand out -
    business acumen, photographic ability, photographic knowledge...

Have you checked out similar threads in the BoP forum here?
    The rest I'll leave to others.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes you can, if you put the work in and develop a business that there is a demand for.. other than the cheap facebook portrait work - there is no value in the undercutting that goes on with the bottom end of the market.

What photography would you be interested in doing? Cause that determines your market and then you need to know if there are enough customers in your area, and demand, to allow you to be profitable, now and into the future.

The other thing you mention is having 4 kids. What would you do if you had a big time critical job under-way and one of your children is rushed to hospital? You have to be prepared (with your husband) to deal with things like that. For example a wedding is not going to stop just cause you need to be with your child in hospital.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to do Birth and baby loss photography. Maybe also maternity shoots as well.

In regards to emergencies with my family, I would have it written up in a contract that I can pull out in case of emergency.
    Last edited by LittleSparrow; 23-04-2015 at 5:30pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are interested in the baby loss work, get in contact with https://www.heartfelt.org.au/

re pulling out in the case of an emergency, unless you take on work that is not time critical (in your clients eyes as well) how will that leave your clients when they need you? Sorry, but the bad feedback you would get on social media etc for pulling out of a shoot (that your client expected and was time critical in their eyes)could ruin your business. it only takes one person on FB etc for the word to get around and you will lose clients.

Have you googled 'adelaide portrait photographers' and seen who your competition is, or searched facebook for local photographers in your area? You have to be able to offer something different and better than what is already being offered in your area. How many photographers are there in your area? Perhaps most of them are not making much money now cause there are to many of them and the market is saturated.

Whilst you can certainly enter the market, be aware that the portrait market is very over-saturated with photographers (mostly mum's with kids) who do it part-time, from home, and have a facebook photography page. But also be aware that the undercutting in this market segment is ridiculous and most are not making much money, if any. Though this cheap end of the market also tends to be more foregiving if you cancel. But the more you charge, and the higher priced demographic are less likely to be as forgiving. They are paying a premium for quality photography, professionally done, with great customer service, and they may well not appreciate being cancelled on.

Also have a read of this: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...l-Photographer

So back to your original question "can you make a GOOD living in photography". yes you can, but probably not in maternity/portraiture, unless you have something that every other portrait/maternity photography is not also offering. Do you?
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-04-2015 at 7:09pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are your business skills. I personally think you're better off being an excellent business person and an average photographer than the other way around.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this thread 10 times http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...l-Photographer

Seriously!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the links. I have a lot to think about I have until September to decide (when Tafe applications start) so hopefully i'll figure out what's right for me!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
    ..... I have until September to decide (when Tafe applications start) so hopefully i'll figure out what's right for me!
    If you do some sort of business course it may be handy for something else if you don't choose the photography avenue. You can learn about, and practice photography elsewhere. Most customers don't care if you've done a photography course, they care about the photos you take. Most businesses don't work if you don't know how to run one properly.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course you can make a living out of photography. I'm sure the directors/shareholders of Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc make plenty of money

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking into career/profession choices since my little guy is heading off to school next year I want to start getting myself organised for the workplace which includes research! I have 3 pathways i'd love to do, one being a photography business. I'm wondering if it is possible to make a living out of this profession, is it worth the time and money spent on study and set up? I have a hubby and 4 kidlets so I want to be able to help support my family as well as do something I love. Would love some input/advice from those that run their own photography business.
    Yes, it is possible to make a living from Photography.

Key points of my advice for any start up small business (you mention that you have three ideas):

1. As a priority, always use business savvy
    2. Integral to business savvy is maintaining a non-emotional choice making procedure
    3. Consider only niche-like products
    4. Develop your product in a niche-like market
    5. Research – you are doing that, this is very good
    6. Time management and time allocation is critical, it is important to note that few people have the discipline, or the capacity to maintain the discipline
    7. Know when you are out of your depth and do not be hesitant to employ an expert when expertise is required

I really want to do Birth and baby loss photography. Maybe also maternity shoots as well.
    Note carefully -

1. “I really want to do . . .” appears as a business choice based upon emotion – i.e. what ‘you want’.
    2. “Birth . . . also maternity shoots” does not describe any niche-like product.

Good Luck.

WW