So have you tried it?
    Yes, installed it this AM.
    All the basics work, I've not tried any of the new features yet

I suggest uninstalling LR5 first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying it out today. It's not noticeably different. There are new features like the built in HDR/panoramas and face recognition, and apparently some new stuff in the web, book and slideshow modules (if anyone uses those) but it generally looks and works the same. You can finally brush out parts of the radial and graduated filters, which is nice. Some of the develop module options seem a bit quicker but general library functions are still sluggish (this on an i7 CPU w/16GB RAM). It still has timezone problems with importing photos into the correct date folder with iPhone images. I've also had a couple of bugs where it imported files that weren't selected and recognised faces from photos that weren't in the catalogue.

Overall it seems a decent upgrade though. If you're a CC subscriber there's not really any reason not to try it.

One thing to note: if you install the CC version (not sure about the standalone LR6 version) it keeps your existing LR5 installed and working. This is on Mac and Windows. So if you want to play around with the new version you can do so safe in the knowledge that your old version is still there and working.
    -- Mister Q

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom CC

The new version of LR looks to have some interesting new features. I'll reserve judgement on the HDR merge but if it's able to to the merge to 32 bit tiff that Photomatix used to do then I'll be happy.
    By that, I mean I used to be able to use the Photomatix plugin to pull in a 32 bit image into LR with an exposure range of 20. This seemed to disappear when I switched to Mac.

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/21/adob...ding-and-more/
    Last edited by Hamster; 22-04-2015 at 5:26pm.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, will look into upgrading from LR5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way of getting a non-CC version?
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
    Is there any way of getting a non-CC version?
    Yes, it is available as V6 stand alone.
    The SA price is more than the CC Photographers subscription for a year which includes photoshop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking into my records, it is now 18 months since I bought Lightroom 5. How does that compare?

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
    Looking into my records, it is now 18 months since I bought Lightroom 5. How does that compare?
    Break even for LR. BUT $120/year for CC (which INCLUDES Photoshop) vs LR6 at ~$200 one off.
    No brainer really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gone the CC way, and find it quite good. There however is no need to include Lightroom. Photoshop CC comes with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which is Lightroom, only better. In conjunction with Adobe Bridge your work flow will improve. An example with this is; say you take 400 images, you can load them all in ACR, doing all the basic processing that you apply to every image all in one hit. like sharpening...
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    There however is no need to include Lightroom.
    Disagree 110%

LR is a full DAM vs Bridge which is not much more that an image browser.

LR allows a lot of editing prior to using PS. They work very well in tandem.
    LR can also bulk edit just like ACR but does more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems my subscription has not yet expired so is automatically updating and installing, lucky me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym
    LR is a full DAM vs Bridge which is not much more that an image browser.
    I didn't say Bridge was anything other than a great way to categorize your work flow. (BTW.. The first time I used Lightroom, it tried to categorize every image on my computer. That was over 5 years ago. It turned me completely off the program, and have never used it since. It may have changed over the years, I certainly hope it has.)
    What I was saying that for Photoshop CC for $129.00 a year that comes with Bridge, ACR and Photoshop, why spend the extra $.....

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the HDR merge seems to work ok and give a decent amount of control. Very much like the merge to 32 bit function of Photomatix. If you have problems with LRCC not opening when you click on it, i.e. Looks like it will for a second then disappears, then Sign out of your adobe account and sign back in.
    When I started it for the first time it said it was going to create a LR 6 catalogue, but now seems to be using a Lightroom 5 catalogue-2.lrcat
    I assume the old catalogue is the Lightroom 5 catalogue.lrcat. Has anyone else noticed this or did it create a Lightroom 6 catalogue.lrcat for you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hamster
    I downloaded and installed Lightroom CC on two of our computers yesterday. I haven't had much opportunity to play with it yet but I did manage to try a couple of panorama merges.
    These worked easily and non-destructively to create raw file panos.
    Have you checked out the Adobe webinars?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just installed the LR6 trial CC version ( I currently have LR5 ). When I open up a catalogue from LR5 it asks me to convert the catalogue to LR6 and when done it creates another lrcat file in the same location as the original.
    Always learning and making mistakes but getting thereā€¦

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Well the HDR merge seems to work ok and give a decent amount of control. Very much like the merge to 32 bit function of Photomatix. If you have problems with LRCC not opening when you click on it, i.e. Looks like it will for a second then disappears, then Sign out of your adobe account and sign back in.
    When I started it for the first time it said it was going to create a LR 6 catalogue, but now seems to be using a Lightroom 5 catalogue-2.lrcat
    I assume the old catalogue is the Lightroom 5 catalogue.lrcat. Has anyone else noticed this or did it create a Lightroom 6 catalogue.lrcat for you?
    Damn you Hamster, why didn't you post that 2 hours ago.

I've been going over the adobe site trying to solve that problem and my first reaction was to remove and reload, eventually burrowed deep enough in to their help system to find that. It works now, but I'm too tired to explore

Geoff, I think you're comparing a T model to a Tesla there.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waylib View Post
    I have just installed the LR6 trial CC version ( I currently have LR5 ). When I open up a catalogue from LR5 it asks me to convert the catalogue to LR6 and when done it creates another lrcat file in the same location as the original.
    What has it called this new lrcat file?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same name but with a -2 at the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast