With a 16Mp camera .. even with compression, the jpg files are most likely to be in the 4Mb range each.
With older non smart phones .. they had what 3 . maybe 5Mp cameras at most. Probably 1-2Mb jpg files.
To transfer just one file over bluetooth would probably feel slow .. to transfer ALL images ... well, I'd be inclined to try that just before I go to bed and let it do the transfer overnight!

I can't help at the moment with options on the PC as I've updated my tablet to Win10(trial version) .. so for sure it's now going to display vastly different info compared to what Win7 did/does.
I don't have any bt radios to add to my desktop either.

I just recommend to forgo bt and connect via Wifi.
I know it's not a help for the Bt related question, but it's a better way to connect to the phone(especially via the use of MyPhoneExplorer).

If this is your new phone now(as in yours forever) .. I seriously recommend using MPE. Use it for full backups of the phone and to manage files and stuff like that too(and apps and all that stuff).
It has way too many features to list here .. but one simple(and really handy for me) feature you'd never think to be vital, is remote control of the phone via the PC.
I have an old phone of my sons(he's hopeless with his devices! ) but anyhow .. of the broken phones of his I still have, one works but a totally dead screen. Using the remote feature I can control his phone via the PC, even tho it's impossible to do so on the phone .. with the dead screen.
Not only did I save his info and stuff, but having just guessed that the screen may be dead, using the remote feature in MPE I confirmed that it's just a dead screen(and not a totally dead phone).
I re-enabled the vibrations and sounds on the phone again via the remote. I reckon I'd have disposed of this phone if not for this remote feature.

Anyhow, apologies for the ranting, and inability to resolve your Bt issue.

ps. I do vaguely remember that you only just recently got this laptop, so the assumption is that it most likely has a Bt version 3.0(unless it was a really cheap lappy of some vintage at Bt2.x)

If this is the case then the connection issue is most likely a driver/software related issue. That is, if there is a bt driver update for your laptop it may help to fix it.. or as I've had experience, you may find that one day for no reason at all, it may finally connect(and then not, and then connect .. etc).
But if your laptop is Bt 2.x, and the phone is Bt3(most likely), the laptop may physically never be able to connect to the phone, even tho the phone may try to connect to the laptop.

Are you using an external Bt radio, or is it a built in Bt? I'm assuming it most likely to be built in as most lappies do nowadays .. and not an external USB Bt transceiver.