Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Canon EOS Utilitysoftware

Photographer Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon EOS Utilitysoftware

The other day I was in the middle of a photo stacking exercise and my windows computer froze and the only way I could get out of it was by hitting the power switch (nothing else works).

After rebooting, I was unable to access the EOS utility which I use in live mode so I can use the computer as a monitor. It came up with the error ""EOS has stopped working".
    I un-installed the program and re-booted after which I reinstalled it from the original disk. It still came up with the same error. So far I have un-installed and re-installed it about 6 times.
    I have even downloaded the latest update and nothing will make it work. I doesn't matter whether the camera is plugged in or not. Any suggestions? Could something be set in the registry that needs to be reset?

The computer is running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit operating system, 8 GB ram, Processor is an AMD Phenom II Quad core 955 running at 3.2GHz. Display adapter is NVIDA GeForce GTS250.

I'm tearing my hair out here (well I would if I still had any hair).

I would appreciate any ideas that might help.

Thanks in advance,
    John

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera - Anonymous

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my limited 'puter knowledge John I would suspect a registry error is preventing the successful re installation of the program.

When I have had similar issues with recalcitrant programs in the past I have used ccleaner to uninstall the program and then the same program to remove all registry keys to the program before installing it again.

Ccleaner is free as is Glary Utilities, both of which do similar things and work well from my experience.

Ccleaner ---- https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Glary Utilities ---- http://www.glarysoft.com/
    Last edited by I @ M; 19-04-2015 at 5:42am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    john
    nothing to with this post but when i seen it i thought of you straight away,we went to melbourne museum yesterday and i am amazed at the collections of the bugs and like i did not think there could be so many creep crawlies in the world
    paul

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Andrew. Give Glary Utilities a try, download it, install it, and do the automatic one-click check. It checks your registry, software, drivers and more for problems and you can repair them. It is most likely a registry issue where something is 'stuck' and causing the problem you are seeing. Glary can also do a registry defragment, which will let your computer start up faster etc.

Do not do the defragment if our OS drive is an SSD.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, when I had a similar issue with a computer freezing unexpectedly (although it got to become "expectedly") and could only
    switch off like that, I found it was a video card going crook. I didn't know until it actually stopped working altogether and just gave me a snowy screen one day.

Now this is just to say that it could well be a hardware fault. But by all means try to clean the registry first. I would also suggest that you try some
    other program that is heavy on, say, the video card, but even the HDD, or lots of memory swapping.

Am(thinking what a pest it was and maybe those bugs have turned nasty)..
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go into the registry and look for this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon_Inc_IC

open this key folder and look for Canon Utility.
    If the Canon utility is uninstalled from your PC and this key persists, just delete it manually.

Hopefully that works.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all your helpful comments. Unfortunately, I have tried them all and nothing I do helps.
    Ccleaner and Glary's has fixed the freezing part completely but nothing will stop the Governor General ooops! I mean nothing will stop this problem. I have tried restoring to an earlier date with no luck. I rang Canon for help today with no luck yet. They got me to download EOD Digital Solutions version 29.1 - that won't even let me install the program. The error is "Universal Installer Windows has stopped working". I have installed it successfully on an old 64 bit computer today. I don't know much about this universal installer or whether it is the problem.
    My original disk installs all Canon programs with only EOS Utility the one that doesn't work. A friend brought in his V27.1 disk today and it wouldn't install because of this universal installer problem. All I can do now is hope and pray that Canon can provide some answers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had this issue but it would seem a few have. I did a quick search. Seems to indicate a user profile issue. Hope these help.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-f0d2bc4dcade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-f9ea3819c012

http://dslrcamerareviewsandadvice.bl...all-fails.html

Of course the ultimate fix is to do a clean install of windows. I do this probably once every couple of years. If you keep your operating system on one disk and your images / applications on others it is not too hard. I tend to store all my download files in folders on one of my disks. When I reinstall the OS I simply run the install for the applications from my saved folders. Much quicker than downloading it all again.

Good luck with it

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I have not had this issue but it would seem a few have. I did a quick search. Seems to indicate a user profile issue. Hope these help.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-f0d2bc4dcade
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-f9ea3819c012
    http://dslrcamerareviewsandadvice.bl...all-fails.html
    Of course the ultimate fix is to do a clean install of windows. I do this probably once every couple of years. If you keep your operating system on one disk and your images / applications on others it is not too hard. I tend to store all my download files in folders on one of my disks. When I reinstall the OS I simply run the install for the applications from my saved folders. Much quicker than downloading it all again. Good luck with it
    Thank you for your suggestions Fess. I had already tried 1 and 2 with no luck. I tried 3 with no success. But when I tried part 2 of solution 2 and then retrying no 3 again I had SUCCESS!

It appears that by creating a new user admin account, I could load my EOS Utilities onto the new user account (it still came up with the error when I tried to run it) then transferred the contents of the EOS copy on my old computer and copied the contents over. By George it worked! I have now got everything working on my nice new user account and I am a very happy chappie. Thanks go to you Fess, and all the other kind folk who so willingly tried to help me.