Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Sunrise locations south of Newcastle

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Sunrise locations south of Newcastle

Will be spending a few nights at Marks Point next week (what a great name for a place) and a lady friend that is worried about her early morning solo safety wants me to go with her so she can get some sunrise photos.
    Blacksmiths, Caves Beach, further south is fine. Probably don't want to go north of Newcastle. Means getting up to early for me.
    Anyone have a favourite place that lends itself to good photos?
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand how your lady friend feels about going out alone. I often feel very vulnerable when I go into an isolated spot for birding or onto a beach for a sunrise when on holidays.
    Catherine Hill Bay comes to my mind but I don't know if the railway tracks leading out to the wharf are still there. It could have changed completely by now if the developers got their way.
    Last edited by NikonNellie; 15-04-2015 at 11:34pm.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nellie. Catherine Hill Bay was on my radar. As far as I know it hasn't been to over developed. There was a well known historic house there that got wiped out by a bushfire at the end of 2013.
    My friend just wants to do sunrise, so I though if I have to get up early it might as well be to go to somewhere good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. I start work at 6am, just north of Newcastle at Tomago, so I have no idea where the best morning spot would be. However, look at the western side of Lake Macquarie for some sunrise shots.

Regards
    Glen1
    Regards

Glen1

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norah Head and The Entrance or if you want to go further south Forresters, Wamberal or Terrigal beaches are also worth a look.

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Grant but I'm nit getting up that early. My friend lives at Swansea.
    Thanks also Glen. I had thought about that and think it's not a bad idea. What mornings next week aren't you working.