Thread: Free installed editors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free installed editors

I want a clean start in photo editors. I tend to do shooting in fits and starts with sometimes lengthy work-driven gaps in between. When I come back to any of the better full spec editors, it is a learning curve all over again. And I don't do enough to justify the up-front and upgrade costs.

I also receive images from many sources related to my family history research, images that I need to put into a standardised storage format, inspect the IPTC status, perhaps batch edit (not strong on that).

I am looking at (again) Irfanview and freshly at XnViewer and FastStone Image Viewer.

I'd like to receive comments and recommendations/warnings please.

Cheers, Bill
    Last edited by BillW; 07-04-2015 at 6:50pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What camera brand / model are you using Bill?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    What camera brand / model are you using Bill?
    Me, Canon 7D, LG G2 Android, plus images emailed to me from anyone, anywhere.
    Bill

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillW View Post
    Me, Canon 7D, LG G2 Android, plus images emailed to me from anyone, anywhere.
    Bill
    Just something to be aware of, on AP we only allow members to post photos they own copyright to. So any of these images you get via email you cannot post on this site, as under the law, copyright is owned by the person who took the photo.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None! At some time you'll just have to settle down and take note of what image editors do and how they do it.

That is basically: adjust images. They all do pretty much the same, pretty much the same way. Some have more
    features/abilities than others. Do it a few times - keeping it to simple things - and get the hang of it. After a while try something
    else. Practice is the key, AFAIC.

I have used FastStone recently on a new computer. It can do some useful basic image editing. After that I installed the free version
    of Photoshop CS2, available from the Adobe site. Although it's now an old version, it is PRETTY POWERFUL.

Now, since practice is king, try somethings using, say, Faststone, then get on here and ask for feedback, advice, and help.
    In no time you will not know your (image-editing) self. Also in the meantime, download install and register that free CS2.

After a bit you will be able to transfer the ideas learnt in, say, Fastsone to there.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the Adobe download site, asked to create an account, asked for my birthdate, read the privacy statement, and they are upfront about gathering quite a bit of personal information. Is everyone OK with Adobe in these respects?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Just something to be aware of, on AP we only allow members to post photos they own copyright to. So any of these images you get via email you cannot post on this site, as under the law, copyright is owned by the person who took the photo.
    Understood and quite OK. Bill

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Gimp!

Oh and use youtube for video tutorials on how to do stuff in most of the editing software.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-04-2015 at 7:42pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here are some useful tutorials

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to tell them everything. Make up an age. But your email is required. The point is, it asks for rego every time you
    run the program. It's OK, as it does not expire. Just click "No" after the first time you register.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I am entirely comfortable with Adobe regarding privacy. Let's face it, everything about your identity is stored digitally somewhere. Birth, marriage, divorce, credit history, banking history, driving history, medical history, criminal history....right through to death - it is all there. I shudder to think what will happen if anyone hacks the Apple app store or PayPal. Half the world must have their credit card details there.

Anyhow...let's not worry too much about that. It is beyond our control.

Adobe are a very reputable firm. You read their privacy statement (I should have but didn't have the time). Is there anything in there that really raises concerns? I am over 50, so I remember the days when privacy was...well, something truly private. For good or for bad, those days are gone. Gen X & Gen Y are far less circumspect than older generations.

That said, I can heartily recommend Adobe Creative Cloud. At $9.95 per month for the most up to date Photoshop/ Lightroom / Bridge suite, I think that it is unbeatable value.
    Andrew

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about Adobe's privacy, because it is only a few years ago their username and passwords were hacked into, and we received emails making us change our passwords urgently. Give them the bare details requested, and no one is going to check they are real. Because our birthdates are used in some places for security and identity checking, I suggest you never use your correct birthdate on line unless it is a bank , ato or similar which legally requires it.

For basic image management, I always use Faststone, because it is free, and extremly light on computer resources. It is incredibly good at batch renaming and resizing images, so I use it for these tasks all the time. I manage and view all my images in Faststone. While Faststone can do basic editing, most of my editing is done in Photoshop. There is absolutely no need for the most up to date versions of photoshop for the majority of users. All image editors take time and commitment to learn unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be a way to shortcut.

Don't forget there is an online editor to use on AP. You can get to it under the AP Extras link near the top of this page. It is Pixlr and like a basic version of photoshop. Worth a try if you have a reasonably good internet connection.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But think of the 50 million Frenchman who use Adobe products...!

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I wasn't gunner say it, but it's the "cloud" I'm not a fan of.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 08-04-2015 at 7:57am.