User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Pre Digital for Macro

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre Digital for Macro

As an introduction to macro, I am using a Canon FD50 mm f1.8 (from my 1980's AE-1) with extension tubes & mount adapter to my micro 4/3. I have made a robust, accurately height adjustable stand with diffuse lighting, and expose at f16, ISO 200, using 2 sec delay. The resulting images are reasonable but not as sharp as I had hoped. eg. the veins in a fly's wing (when in focus) are distinct but not sharp. Secondary veins if present are not visible. have also tried an FD28 mm f2.8 and FL 50mm f1.8, and can see no discernible difference.
    Can anyone please suggest an FD or compatible mount lens which may give better IQ. At worst, I could stretch to another adapter and tubes for a later series lens.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you are asking a difficult question there. At least this reply will bump it back to the top. Good luck. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marty perhaps if you post on the Macro Forum with images someone may be able to help you more, have you tried without the ex tubes
    Sometimes it's better to shoot a little further away so you can get the entire subject in focus then crop, and sharpen when needed.
    I have a Kipon adapter for my m4/3 camera and have used my digital Tamron 90mm, Canon 100mm and Canon MP-65mm Macro lenses and two telephoto lenses with reasonable results.
    Though have never used my ex tubes as there is no need with a macro lens I seem to be able to get close enough. Have you tried a reversing ring on your 50mm lens I wonder if that will work ?

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marty,

Does your mount adapter have glass in it? If so, this could be why your images are not as sharp as they could be.

I suggest you obtain a reverse mount adapter and give that a try with your tubes. As you are aware you have bugger-all DOF with close-up macro so don't be afraid to experiment with different tube combinations and 'f' stops.

The shot below, taken with a reverse mounted 50mm lens on a full set of tubes, is of one part of a hibiscus stamen. The four round black hairy things would not be much larger than a grain of salt. From memory I don't think I had a remote release at that time so there could be some camera shake involved. The 28mm f2.8 should give you some pleasing results.

PS: Just remembered it was blowing a gale that day hence the 1/500s shutter speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cage; 02-04-2015 at 7:23pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old fd lenses, especially the 50mm f1.8 kit lens, are not renowned for their edge sharpness or flat focussing, so may be unsuitable for macro.
    If you can find one of Canon's professional lenses of the era (and they'll still be cheap), it should give you better results.

However, you can't expect any of the old lenses to perform like a modern, computer designed lens with their special glass and modern coatings.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.