User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which camera would you recommend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which camera would you recommend?

Hi Everyone,

After much debate I'm going to move to one of the Oly micro 4/3rd beasties to replace my Nikon kit. I'm finding the overhead of the D600, even with the relatively petite 50mm prime to be a real pain in the neck and so frankly I just don't use it very much at all.

So I was looking for a recommendation as to what you'd recommend. What I shoot is:
    1) Mainly the kids, these days they're both really mobile so need a reasonable FPS, but it's more focus speed that's important. Mixture of indoors and the lighting that comes with that but also a heap of outdoor stuff
    2) I also take a lot of travel shots, mainly landscapes and wider stuff but all handheld (very rarely crack out the tripod)
    3) Weather sealing and being reasonably tough is important as I just want to dump the camera in my bag and go

I'm thinking the 12-40 f2.8 to start with as when I look through my photos >95% fall into that range. What I'm not sure about is whether to:
    a) Go the EM-1 which probably for my hands (larger) seems a good fit. The test I did with that seemed comfy and the grip would only help. But it is larger than I'd ideally like
    b) Go the EM-5 Mark II (Mark II over Mark I mainly because of the purported AF improvements). Mark I was also comfy enough to not cause any angst (although defo a different feel in the hand)

Open to other suggestions / thoughts and all comments gratefully received!

Brenden
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much do you have invested in Nikon? If you wait a bit you will likely find the rumoured full-frame Nikon mirrorless will be released. If you have no reason to update soon, hang around for a bit and see if it eventuates:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014.../#.VRPesOHQAnI

But if you do want to go to the Oly, the Em-1 would be a good choice. Olympus RAW files have always been quite visually appealing straight out of camera, their RAW processing engine must be optimised to bring out the best in their sensors.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the EM1 is a "better" camera, it should be as it is their "pro" model, EM5 is 2nd tier but is newer technology. IF you are into video go with the EM5, if not either or, if your a lens collector and might pickup some older 4/3rds glass ( it is bigger and heavier though) go with EM1, it has phase detect AF on sensor. Both are weather proof freeze proof and very well built magnesium alloy bodies. There are plenty of reviews online to read but ultimately it should come down to ergonomics/fit in your hand. And I would def get the grip just for the extra battery onboard, battery life is not great, 4-6 hours of use. Oh and the EM1 has a panasonic sensor the EM5 has a sony sensor if that matters to you. The other thing I miss on the EM1 is the twist and flip lcd panel, it has a tilt screen only, EM511 has twist & flip.
    Regards

David

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. Regarding Nikon I'm a fair amount invested. My only hesitation with the Nikon offering should it eventuate is much like Sony. By the time you add the lens on size / weight wise it's actually not that much of an advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just come in from an evening launch of the E-M5 Mark II .. nice camera. After speaking to the Olympus people, really the only reason you would go the E-M5 over the E-M1 is for the movie camera function. It is amazing, in what it can do. But if you're wanting really just for stills ... they are saying the E-M1 is superior.

Now .. I am far from an expert, just going from what was said. I have the E-M10 which I'm very pleased with thus far .. but I'm a novice at best. But that was what I got from the evening.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Davsv1 very helpful info. Videos not important so no worries there. I'm used to good old Nikon fixed screens so even tilt would be a huge improvement! Grip is a good idea. I'm certain one of the things I will feel is the battery life impact (in that it'll be lower). Do you see the sensor as a concern / benefit either way?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Elly that's very helpful as stills are the focus. How do you find the E-M10? Seems a very nice camera from what I've read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am loving the E-M10. It is a great little camera and though I'm very new to using an DSLR as it is intended, I've not come across anything I can't do that other cameras are doing. What I love most about this range is their size. They are so small/compact, yet fully functioning ... from what I can tell. Very happy with my purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bconolly View Post
    Thanks Davsv1 very helpful info. Videos not important so no worries there. I'm used to good old Nikon fixed screens so even tilt would be a huge improvement! Grip is a good idea. I'm certain one of the things I will feel is the battery life impact (in that it'll be lower). Do you see the sensor as a concern / benefit either way?

If your are pixel peeper the sony sensor is generally considered better in low light/ noise but if your not either is fine, as a wee test I did some 125000 iso shots a week or two back and while a little noisy on screen once printed at 480mmX360mm they were quite acceptable for what they were, it was shot in a dark room f6.7 @1/10 ss hand held with a 75 1.8 lens. If your in southside of Brisbane your welcome to come to my work and have a look at the prints.
    As far as the battery goes they are smaller and lighter than DSLR batteries to keep the weight down so of course the life is not as good, just carry a couple of spares and your good for a whole day.

another big advantage of the EM1 is they are going for less $$$ than they were, you can pick up quite a bargain these days. their life cycle is due for replacement about September next year, just going by Olympus' previous release times.
    Last edited by davsv1; 27-03-2015 at 12:14am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it comes down to the fit for your hands. If you need the extra grip on the E-M5 (mk 1 or 2), then you may as well get the E-M1 instead.
    Mk II for the improved AF algorithm but IMO, the biggest improvement is the IBIS. It was already quite good on the Mk I, improved on the E-M1, and improved again on the Mk II.
    I'm a Mk I owner myself. Depending on prices, the 12-40 kit is quite cheap with the Mk I. At one stage over X'mas it was under $1000 but back up to around $1150. If prices fall below $1000 again I would be tempted just to get the Mk I 12-40 kit.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks swifty. I have to admit that the mk1 is indeed a tempting option. It'll depend a bit on what I get for my Nikon kit, but if it all goes a bit pear shaped the mk1 would be ok to start with I reckon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mk I's still a nice camera but just be aware that it was the first in the OMD series and IMO suffered from a few design issues that the latter models refined upon.
    But since you're interested in the 12-40 (which goes for about $850 on its own), the Mk I elite kit seems good value.
    Actually I'd consider buying it myself if the prices drop below $1000 again since I need a replacement for my 12-50kit zoom and a second body would be nice for me with the 12-40 on one and the 75/1.8 on the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the E-M5 (original) & E-M1. Unfortunately I don't have the 12-40 lens to go with it (I'm still using the 4/3's 14-54 II lens instead or else the M4/3's 12-50), but there are good deals around for the E-M1 & 12-40 kit with one place selling it for $1699 & I'm sure they aren't the only seller with a good price. While the E-M5 was a lovely camera you would find the E-M1 so much better with more direct controls, larger EVF etc, but more importantly is more responsive with a larger buffer. The benefit of WiFi & tethering with Olympus Capture might also be useful on occasions. The improved C-AF might also be useful to you as it has been proving to be quite effective with the latest firmware 3.0 now. To me it sounds like the 12-40 lens should cover most of your requirements by your description. For something a little longer, without going for the larger 40-150 Pro lens, there is always the very sharp 75mm prime.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 28-03-2015 at 11:22pm.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're thinking of leaning towards the EM-1, depending on your budget, the EM-5ii might be worth considering - it's improved.

But here's a video comparing the Panasonic GH4, Sony a6000, Olympus EM-1, and Fujifilm XT-1 - well worth the watch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8K_xd_iwU

Aside being a Sony lover, I personally would recommend the a6000 as it performs great, based on the test, and is a lot cheaper than the GH4.
    One great thing about the alpha series is that with some adapters, if you really want to, you can still use your current Nikon glass, so it doesn't all go to waste - just make sure you have an updated model of the adapters to ensure full support for your Nikon lenses.
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 28-03-2015 at 11:54pm.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    If you're thinking of leaning towards the EM-1, depending on your budget, the EM-5ii might be worth considering - it's improved.

But here's a video comparing the Panasonic GH4, Sony a6000, Olympus EM-1, and Fujifilm XT-1 - well worth the watch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8K_xd_iwU

Aside being a Sony lover, I personally would recommend the a6000 as it performs great, based on the test, and is a lot cheaper than the GH4.
    One great thing about the alpha series is that with some adapters, if you really want to, you can still use your current Nikon glass, so it doesn't all go to waste - just make sure you have an updated model of the adapters to ensure full support for your Nikon lenses.
    I think the OP wants to go lighter, so the other options using the larger lenses wouldn't exactly help there. The E-M5 II is improved by means of the added electronic shutter, but for his uses not much advantage as far I would think, for video, yes it is improved but for focussing, the on sensor PD-AF pixels in the E-M1 makes it the better camera as it is the Pro model after all.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ross and bitsnpieces. Definitely leaning towards the EM-1 now and that is a great price Ross. You're also spot on re the weight. Thanks to bitsnpieces for the info, but the weight/ size is critical. Sony kit is nice but their native lenses are also largish compared to the Olympus kit.

Thanks also to Ross and Swifty for the 75 1.8 mention. That will work nicely until I can save up for the 40-150 (if I ever need it). 75 should do 90+ percent of what I need!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own an em-1. I came at it from the other way, starting in 2007 with a tiny compact, then up to a compact with manual controls (XZ-1), and now the EM-1. I am also mostly using my camera for family including very mobile 4 and 7 year olds! I bought mine with the 12-40 pro lens and have since added the 14-150 (before the second version was announced...) for use when I think I'm going to need the extra telephoto. I'm no photography expert but have got very satisfactory results with shooting bursts with both tracking and continuous AF. I've done this for my 7 year old mountain biking among other things. The AF is better for the 12-40 lens. I find it pretty portable. Have carried it around my neck when bushwalking in the blue mountains and had no problems with it. Battery life is relatively short, but I just carry a spare battery and that's enough for me. One of the key criteria for me when I upgraded was faster and more accurate AF, and I'm happy with what I'm getting from the EM-1.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alan, good feedback particularly in the c-af front!

Brenden

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. Sold my Nikon gear and picked up the EM-1 pro kit this week. Very, very happy with it so far. Reminds me very much of my old and much loved D7000 in terms of dynamic range and noise characteristics in a much lighter and smaller package.

Looking forward to testing it out seriously in the coming weeks!

Brenden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bconolly View Post
    Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. Sold my Nikon gear and picked up the EM-1 pro kit this week. Very, very happy with it so far. Reminds me very much of my old and much loved D7000 in terms of dynamic range and noise characteristics in a much lighter and smaller package.

Looking forward to testing it out seriously in the coming weeks!

Brenden
    That sounds like excellent news. I assume you will be (registering it &) applying for the free HLD-7 grip on offer till the end of the month then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast