User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All time FAVOURITE lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, which I still have and use occasionally on my Olympus OM-D E-M1 through an MMF-3 adaptor.12-60 on a 4/3 lens is about the same as 24-120 on a full frame, which is really nice for a general carry-about lens. It is a very sharp lens and the definition is really amazing. If it hadn't been for that lens, I would have dropped Olympus a long time ago. Even so, I now muddle between Canon and Olympus. The Canon is great for challenging light conditions. The Olympus for everything else.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question and responses

I've just listed my favourite lens for sale on the usual place where one sells things, along with my DSLR and 2 other lenses.

I've just ordered and paid for what I believe will be my favourite lens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon,s nifty fifty. Great lens for the price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite lens is the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art. Beautiful portraiture lens and I use it for everything including weddings, lifestyle shoots (great for tight spaces indoors) etc.
    Canon shooter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my Canon AE1 I loved the FD 28mm f2.8, crisp with bright colour. Considering selling it, today I fitted it to my new Oly M10, and was greatly disappointed with the results. Conversely, when I fitted the FD 135mm ( which I hardly ever used in those days, and held in low regard), I was pleasantly surprised with the IQ, (perhaps a little short in contrast), but much sharper than remembered. The lenses have not changed, but my perceptions have been altered by digital capture and it's quickly available consistent quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think min is the Tamron 17-50, a good all purpose lenses, is my default, F2.8, so fast enough and its quite sharp

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lens l find on my camera a lot is the Samyang 14mm f2.8. Great for landscapes, architecture, experimental light stuff, and some portraiture. Is it my favourite?... well l've just bought some other specialty lenses, and haven't used them enough yet to pass judgment? Time will tell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite lens in my bag right now is my Canon 50mm f1.8 II. Dollar for dollar this lens just simply can't be beaten. It is super sharp and resolves some silky smooth bokeh. I got this 2 weeks after getting my camera and I am still amazed at the low light performance on my 600D. Where my bigger, more expensive lenses falter this thing just keeps swinging away.

Having said that I am yet to have the fortune of using a fast zoom like the 70-200s or 24-70s so I can imagine my favourite will shift once I have the budget to add one of these to my bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my altime favourte lens is
    Canon 50mm f1.2 lens that helps me take some awesome awesome portraits and family shots.
    This lens literally shoots fine in almost dark amazing low light lens am always a fan of.
    Another one is my 16-35mm lens. A superstar on my full frame body and works awesome to get beautiful serene wide shots

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a favourite in as much as I use it about 80%+ of the time - my Olympus f/2.8-3.5 14-54 MkII (EFL = 28-108, actually more like 29-109 ... ). It is crackingly sharp at all FLs and from f/2.8-3.5 to about f/6.3. If I remember, and I want that ultimate razor sharpness, I back it off to about 52mm. Focuses to about four cms from the front element at all FLs, but is not actually a macro lens, just focuses very close . Diffraction softening is just noticeable at f/7.1 when viewed at 100%. It loses a tiny bit of sharpness at full stretch on test charts, but this is only very rarely even noticeable in any real world shot. For print purposes, there is no discernible diffraction softening at A2 size up to around f/11.

My f/2.8-3.5 11-22 (EFL = 22-44) is basically identical to the 14-54 physically and optically.

For sheer eye slicing sharpness and everything else optical, the Olympus f/2 50 macro. It is just superb. No perceptible diffraction softening until around f/16, and still eye wateringly sharp at f/22. A true macro lens ( = flat plane of focus at around its minimum focus distance), its field of view is about 34x26mm at closest focus. Love this lens for flowers and cats.

All three of these have extremely similar rendering and produce lovely images. They are all weather and dust sealed. Cost a bomb, of course. Between AUD$900-1150 each ... Worth every cent IMO!

I have lots of other lenses that I use for purposes that suit their specific strengths - e.g. my 14-42 EZ pancake zoom is pretty crappy optically (by Olympus standards) but is 20mm thick and weighs just 93 grams. Makes my E-M1 very portable ... .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with kangarooart. Whilst I was initially quite nervous about paying such a premium price the 50 f/1.2L (especially with cheaper, sharper albiet slightly slower alternatives) I have no regrets whatsoever. It's by no means a technically perfect lens, but the ability to shoot handheld in extremely low light (wide open) and the characteristics of the bokeh makes me an extremely satisfied owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All time favorite lens... all around lens ...
    I like the 50mm f/1.8,
    but being an occasional photographer (as a hobby) the convenient 18-105mm is fantastic for nearly all situations, this is my favorite.
    Regards.
    J. Arguello.

Constructive Criticism (CC) is alsways welcome.
    Photography gear: Nikon D7000; Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8; Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6; Tamron A17 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8; Yongnuo 35mm f/2; Neewer 85mm f/1.8; Nikon AW100 ;Canon EOS 300; Tamron 28-105mm; Canon 75-300mm.
    Photo Editing: Nikon Capture NX-D , GIMP ;

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12