User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: JPEGs killing my colour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JPEGs killing my colour

Just this week I noticed that photos I have been reducing in size to 1024 then saving as JPEGs for forums and comps lose colour and end up looking a bit boring and flat when compared to the original tifs.
    My bad for assuming that everything would come out the same...... but it is very annoying when it was a comp photo for example.
    I found I can compensate on my Mac in Preview somewhat, but the controls are not very refined. Is there a better way to compensate for this loss?
    Last edited by NRandall; 24-03-2015 at 5:34pm.
    Main Body D800E plus a bunch of other Nikon stuff
    "The eye sees what it wants to see and the camera sees the rest" Nick

sapiens populus eo per camelus

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    colourspace is the most likely cause. You could be either editing in sRGB and saving in AdobeRGB for your final save once resized, or editing in AdobeRGB and saving in sRGB, etc or something similar. That is known to cause washed out results
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rick
    I will check this.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be my answer too. Stick with sRGB for the web. If you are in photoshop you may need to check what your working space is set to. Everything on mine is sRGB because most of my work is aimed at screen/web viewing. You may need to check the "proof colours" in photoshop, and in the proof set up I tick Monitor RGB. That gives me the most consistent results.

If your colour looks different between different browswers, some colour manage, some do not. Firefox colour manages, so I turn it OFF so no matter where i view the photos they all look the same.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    Stick with sRGB for the web. If you are in photoshop you may need to check what your working space is set to.
    And where would one check for that?

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    And where would one check for that?
    Edit/Colour settings.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    That would be my answer too. Stick with sRGB for the web. If you are in photoshop you may need to check what your working space is set to. Everything on mine is sRGB because most of my work is aimed at screen/web viewing. You may need to check the "proof colours" in photoshop, and in the proof set up I tick Monitor RGB. That gives me the most consistent results.

If your colour looks different between different browsers, some colour manage, some do not. Firefox colour manages, so I turn it OFF so no matter where i view the photos they all look the same.
    Thank you farmmax
    I have set my colour settings in Lightroom to RBGs, and I have not yet started using PS
    A couple of things I have noticed:
    My iMac tends to revert to 'iMac Calibratred' colour, even after changing to sRBG
    Also, in Nikonians - the other forum I participate with as a Nikon user, these issues have not come up, although their max file size is a little bigger.
    Do different web hosts use different colour settings I wonder?
    Last edited by NRandall; 26-03-2015 at 7:17pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NRandall View Post
    Do different web hosts use different colour settings I wonder?
    No, but different web browsers do. How you see the image and how I see it could be completely different. I use screens that are hardware calibrated and I use firefox (which can read the colourspace of an image and display it accordingly). Some browsers assume it is sRGB and if it isn't, it may not display correctly.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    No, but different web browsers do. How you see the image and how I see it could be completely different. I use screens that are hardware calibrated and I use firefox (which can read the colourspace of an image and display it accordingly). Some browsers assume it is sRGB and if it isn't, it may not display correctly.
    Thank you Rick
    This poses an interesting paradox about perceptions even outside photography
    Meanwhile calibration seems like a smart idea
    Last edited by NRandall; 26-03-2015 at 9:12pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through everything suggested and switched to Firefox as my web browser.
    I was still getting similar results however when converting tif images from Lightroom.
    After doing some reading I found that there was a suggested fix if I go to Photoshop.
    The suggestion I followed was to go into Color Settings, and in Color Management Policies, I switched to Working RGB
    With a test run converting one of the offending images from tif the results were good.
    Apparently there is a way to do this in Lightroom but it looks pretty complicated.
    I had been meaning to start using Photoshop soon in any case, still very new to Post Processing.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ricks first comment - you can play around with colour space settings to see real time the impact to your photo and the differences can be substantial. I spend a whole day playing in the abyss of colour space with printing and although a painful experience it does highlight the important of colour space - my vote goes with Ricks response.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    I agree with Ricks first comment - you can play around with colour space settings to see real time the impact to your photo and the differences can be substantial. I spend a whole day playing in the abyss of colour space with printing and although a painful experience it does highlight the important of colour space - my vote goes with Ricks response.
    Thanks Mike

I have set everything accordingly, plus the final adjustment in Photoshop and everything seems to be consistent now from beginning to end.

Ruining a few good images on the forums and in comps was enough of a painful lesson!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can show an example now that these comps are finished: Left - before calibration, Right, after setting everything to sRBG and switching to Firefox.Best viewed in Firefox!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NRandall; 06-04-2015 at 4:44pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #2 seems to have better colour and seems darker?
    I prefer the seat and foreground in #1.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    #2 seems to have better colour and seems darker?
    I prefer the seat and foreground in #1.
    Thank you for your observations Mark

#1 is a mistake, i.e.what happened via mismatched colour management between my computer and Lightroom, and using Chrome as a browser for uploading images. The colour is washed out, hence the brighter looking seat, with what appears to be a slightly greenish tinge overall.
    #2 was the image intended as an entry for the 'streetlight' themed week a couple of weeks back, re-posted here via Firefox with calibrated colour. It is more accurate to the dark street-lit scene that was, now accurately matched to the master TIF file post Lightroom.
    Last edited by NRandall; 08-04-2015 at 7:04am.