Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I'm on the right forum/sub forum, so apologies in advance.
Just a few questions in regards to photographing with others when using speedlights (on a bracket). I have searched the internet extensively, and cannot for the life of me find the answers I'm looking for. I'm guessing this to be because generally photography is a solitary type hobby where you are usually on your own...

I photograph very regularly with my partner (we're both into photography), and occasionally with a few other people as well. He uses two Yongnuo YN-560 II speedlights mounted on a bracket. I don't use any speedlights as of yet, as I don't want to deal with the frustrations that he does when photographing with others. We both use Nikon cameras, his is a D800, and at the moment, mine is a D3200 but I'm upgrading very soon to either a D750 or D610.

This is the main problem we face, making for a very unenjoyable time whenever we take photos. His flashes go off no matter who's camera it is. e.g. If I take a photo, his flashes will go off to my flash, and it ruins his shot as he has to wait for his flashes to recharge again, and its even worse if we are with a few other people taking photos. Not to mention how fast it depletes the batteries etc. I THINK he has his camera set to Manual flash, and his speedlights to S1 atm? We both have Nikon cameras, his is a full frame and atm mine is just a crop sensor.

So, here are my questions:

1. Can those Yongnuo YN-560 II speedlights be set to only be triggered by his camera, and not mine or anyone elses? Is it possible? (please say yes! lol)

2. If so, how do you do it? And what settings or mode is it on the speedlight (and/or camera) to do it?

3. What is it (and/or the setting) called when you set your speedlights to only go off to your camera's signal/fire (regardless of if they are Yongnuo or not, eg. Nikon etc)? As I couldn't for the life of me think of the term to be able to effectively search the internet for a solution, eg. slave, commander modes? etc. are either of those the right term? I know Nikon speedlights allow you to take photo's stress free without the worry of everyone elses flashes setting your speedlights off prematurely at inopportune times, what is that setting called and how do you do it? (I wouldn't know how to do it even if I had Nikon speedlights - unless the instruction manual tells you - which I wouldn't know as I don't own any Nikon speedlights, and the Yongnuo manual didn't explain it at all and was no good/very hard to understand)

4. If the Yongnuo YN-560 II speedlights don't have this function to allow you to safely take photos with other photographers around, stress and worry free, what is the cheapest alternative that will allow this magnificent (relationship-saving and sanity-preserving) function? As we are on a bit of a budget, and it works out quite expensive having to get 4 speedlights (2 each), especially the good ones!

5. What is it that allows you to take photos without other people's flashes setting your own speedlights off?

6. If I were to get the Nikon speedlights, what would you suggest to be the best value for money within a reasonable budget?

I apologise in advance, I realise some of these questions kind of double up, I'm just bad at explaining what I mean.

I really want to be able to use speedlights too, but 1, I cant afford the good Nikon ones just yet (it would probably take me a year or two to save up), and 2, I just cant bring myself to go through the pain and agony of having to turn away and try and shield my (cheaper/yongnuo if I got them) speedlights from other peoples flashes etc. As some photographers (with the Nikon speedlights that are set to only fire on their camera's command) we have taken photos with, are really rude, and just click away regardless of if you are trying to take a photo, knowing full-well that your flashes will fire prematurely ruining your shot on your turn.

I want to get the proper Nikon speedlights, but I know they are fairly expensive... I heard something like $800 each, off one person, but they got theirs around 10yrs ago (or so they say). No idea of the price tag these days, as I want to research this function first, and what its called etc etc etc before looking to buy a set brand etc.

P.S. I'm not savvy with speedlights at all, so forgive me if I misunderstand. I understand there is S1 and S2, where S1 goes off at the first light and S2 ignores a pre-flash or something, from what I've read. And I think Multi is where you can take multiple shots fast? And not sure on what the other settings are, but please inform me, as I'd love to be able to understand it all better!

Thankyou so much in advance!