User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Resource Website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resource Website

So I'm working on rebuilding my website to be more of a resource website, though it primarily focuses on Sony products, the tutorials, guides, and such that I include, apply to all

I've only just started and still have a long way to go.

But the main reason why I'm posting today is I've just finished my first article on the 3 elements - shutter, aperture, and ISO.
    I want to get some opinions and feedback - make sure I'm not teaching blasphemy to others.
    Though right now, it's also only one article, I still think this can help a lot of the really new photographers here understand the basics of the 3 elements listed above.

http://d3studio.com.au/photography/4...=1&limitstart=

I'm looking to see if my analogies are okay, my examples, and explanations.

And of course, any feedback regarding the structure of the website is welcomed too.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few comments, Bits...

1. Is the term "Tri-Factor" yours' or Sony's. If yours, I would suggest you use it as the adjective it looks like and make it something like
    "Exposure Tri-Factor".

2. This from your text, "I had my shutter opened for 1 second, that means, it's capturing 1 second worth of images, where each image is
    1/4000th of a second (for example). So in this single image, it's captured 4000 moments of time and processed it into one image."

Do Sony cams work in such a way? I thought if open for 1 sec it captured one image only? Perhaps some more explanation.

3. A little below that there is, "...That means, it's not very sensitive to light,..." A bit brief about what is not as sensitive.

4. And also nearby, "... a great video from Sony explaining the affects of aperture in ..." the word should be "effects".

5. In the parts, "Well, lets keep it very simple, though this is not technically correct in terms of photography, it illustrates the effect..."
    Make a new sentence after "simple".
    Other changes suggested in yellow text:
    The camera sees in a 2-dimensional view, ie., flat. But the aperture tricks it into giving it the illusion and ability to see the image in a 3 dimensional way, very much like our eyes do..."
    (However, I think this explanation could be better.)

"The f number, or f stop, you use represents an amount of the image that will be in-focused within a depth of field, meaning, from close to far. So for example, a large aperture (e.g. f2.8) means, a smaller depth of field will be in focus, compared to a smaller aperture (e.g. f16), where a larger depth of field will be in focus...."

In the sentence above you have switched from f-stops (technically incorrect in this context and should be "aperture") to the word aperture itself.
    Also, the sentence is a bit long and cumbersome.

6. That's about as far as I got in detailed checking. Skimming through the rest I saw some other areas of broken up sentences and ideas...

I don't know how much detail you need. Also, putting out here will garner 100s of different responses. Have you thought about getting a proof-reader?

As a big +, a good effort.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you am

The idea of moments in an image is more of an illustrative effort as many people are probably used to frames per second, and such a like, so my goal was to try and put it in a way where if you open up your shutter long enough, you're capturing multiple frames, multiple instances of movement, into that one image. Though yes, it does only capture one image, but the process of it opening and recording every bit of information, is what I was hoping to convey, and that it'd be easy to understand. Thus, the use of 4000 moments/instances of time that's recorded into one image, giving the trail. The 4000 is only an example number, it's probably a lot less.
    I'll think more about this.

I'll fix up the f stop stuff and look into rewording a few of the sentences to it easier.

Thank you very much for your help

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the analogy is worth it or in fact useful. The idea of a longer interval blurring movement should suffice.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made some changes in wording and grammar corrections (don't know why I didn't pick them up during my first proof-reading) and will probably keep the analogy for now - see how it goes; can always update it later on.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though my content is slow, I've at least finished my second article now - how the metering system works.

http://d3studio.com.au/photography/5...e-and-metering

Again, same deal, looking for feedback; is it comprehensive/understandable? is it applicable? is it appropriate? is it correct?

I will definitely be doing some more proof reading later today or tomorrow when I get some extra time.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A couple of thoughts.
    "The camera was set to Program mode with the ISO on automatic, allowing the camera to freely adjust anything it needs to get the correct exposure."
    Should the camera be allowed to do that if you're demonstrating how various metering affects the photo? (not sure about this myself)

"That's the great thing about the AEL button - it allows you to control your exposure."
    Maybe this could appear at the start, not the end.
    Something like "The AEL button is really useful to help expose your photos well. This is what it can do ....... . However before we look at in depth we need to look at the other metering modes available in your camera so you can see the best way to use it."

And finally, you need to mention Canon as well as those other blokes.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point there Mark, definitely need to mention about AEL earlier rather than just saying 'something out there waiting for you to find out' - will do a proof read again soon and fix.
    Thank you

I don't know what Canon's metering system is like (nor do I know much about Nikon's, but I just know that their Spot was adjustable, at least for the D810, if I remember correctly from my time with Arthur)

Regarding the automatic ISO, for me, I think it's appropriate as that's the whole point, its showing what the metering is doing to affect the photo.
    It'll achieve the correct exposure either by changing shutter, aperture, or ISO. Keeping the ISO/shutter/aperture static would work too, you'll just notice more changes in the other two parts, but I wanted to leave it opened to the camera.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome - pity it takes a focus on Sony when I'm a Canon guy, but I'll bookmark it to show my friends.
    My website has my most recent work - mostly music photography. I am a photographer for Violent Soho, Dune Rats and more.

I also have a photography podcast you might love, or download some Lightroom presets.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    This is awesome - pity it takes a focus on Sony when I'm a Canon guy, but I'll bookmark it to show my friends.
    Don't forget Ausphotography also has a lot of this : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...otography_Book
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Fedgrub. Although the focus is more on Sony, that's more on the camera and features side of things.

Photographic techniques, systems, etc are universal, so still good for many users.

And as Rick has posted, Aus Photography has a great amount of resources; I'm in process of adding a links page to add Aus Photography, Alpha Rumours, etc, onto my site for additional resources - extra help.
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 12-04-2015 at 12:27am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah totally. Love it though!