User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: 40D RAW capture problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40D RAW capture problems

Good evening all...I write this because I am all of a sudden having problems capturing raw images when using exposure bracketing. My camera's set for medium jpg and large RAW images.

For a number of years I've been using a 4GB SanDisk CF card and recently upgraded to a 16GB card (simply because I was going bush for a few weeks and needed the extra storage). I never had a problem using AEB with the 4gig and, initially, none with the 16gig. But then I noticed that only the occasional RAW image from a bracketed exposure would download and then finally, none at all. The RAW files appear to have been replaced with a file with a .JPG extension (as distinct from .jpg). So, what I generally get now with a bracketed exposure is three .JPG files instead of RAW files, and three .jpg files.

One other thing that's also been happening in association with the lack of RAW images is that, at times, the 3-burst capture takes an inordinate amount of time to download to the card.

The battery is new, being bought at the same time as the 16GB card.

Everything else is per how I've been using the camera since I bought it new.

Any clues what's happening? Any advice on how to fix would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by Redback51; 25-03-2015 at 12:44am. Reason: Correct card capacity
    Sean

Gear: Canon AE-1, EOS 40D & 350D; Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 85mm f/1.8 USM; EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro; EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM; 430EX Speedlite; Manfrotto 190XDB with 804RC2 head

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't buy a much slower 32GB card than your 4GB card did you? I'd be surprised, as cards are getting faster and faster. What speed are they? If you go back to your old 4GB card what happens?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks farmmax...the 4GB is 30 MB/s; the 16 is 120 MB/s. I haven't, as yet, tried again with the 4GB...will be doing so on Thursday.

Cheers
    Last edited by Redback51; 25-03-2015 at 12:54am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your problem. As general advice, when faced with “out of the blue” problems such as this, I would do the following:

• Make a note of any settings you have changed and want to keep.
    • Reset the Canon 40D back to factory settings.
    • Re-format the 16GB CF card in the camera.
    • Check to see if that has fixed the problem.
    • Re-apply any changes you have made.

At least then, you would be starting from a known baseline. Good luck!

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice from Dennis above, returning to Factory settings works for me when I have problems I hope it works for you.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greatly appreciated Dennis and Mary Anne...will give it a try first thing tomorrow and report back. Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks, things appear to be working OK and after spending a couple of hours on the phone with a really helpful Apple person, I think I've got the Mac side of things sorted out (photon-wise) as well.

Cheers