Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: D750 first impressions

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D750 first impressions

Just thought I'd post my initial thoughts on the D750. I've had mine for a couple of days and so far I'm pretty impressed although it's taken a little while to impress me.

I won't go into the unboxing, if you've had Nikon, they're all the same.

Having come from the D700, the D750 is noticeably smaller and lighter and my initial thoughts were that the construction isn't as robust. I think it's more of the issue with the weight, size and the quieter shutter rather than construction so it could just have been my impression rather than a formal evaluation. The battery grip only takes 6 AA's which might explain the lack of higher frame rate with it.

It takes a while to get used to autofocus system which is substantially different. Initially I thought it was crap but it came down to understanding how to use it and the good old RTFM. Once I understood what and how to use it, its actually a phenomenal piece of engineering. The low light focus is incredible. I think new DSLR users or those coming from base level models might battle with it and may end up sticking it on auto all the time because it can be confusing. I did test the auto function and it's really not the bad all things consider. I think most consumer users will like it but I think most of the more advanced users would have limited use for it.

The new highlight metering is awesome and is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

ISO blows my D700 away which is not surprising given it's two generations more advanced and about 5 years newer which in the tech world is a long time.

I'll start off with likes

Wifi - release your shutter with a mobile phone, awesome!
    New autofocus system - insane low light focus capability but takes some getting used to
    Quieter shutter (takes some getting used to)
    Highlight metering
    Video - Don't think I'll use it much but it's good to have it. having DOF on video is awesome although you can hear the VR working in the video
    Tilt screen - I put it under likes because there are some occasions where it's nice. Shots where you're holding it high or low, but I reckon I will use it 1% of the time because I don't do much video

Dislikes

Removal of dedicated AF button and metering switch
    Smaller size (I have big hands although others may like it)
    Doesn't have the multiple custom settings options like the D700
    Consumer features like scenes although I could use them for my wife when I hand the cam to her.

Here is an ISO12800 shot, good for Facebook and similar applications, I applied a little noise reduction in lightroom but I haven't done anything other than a quick and nasty.

A couple more shots testing the autofocus system along with some testing the auto mode in the focus system

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woow, nice camera, and you seem to know how to make wonderful shots

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Looks good at 12800. So it holds its own against the Barbie camera?
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so lucky...the model makes the pictures cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some beautiful photos and awesome results with the very high ISO. As someone with smaller hands - one reason I've always shied away from full frame - its size would possibly suit me.
    Glenda

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    Nice! Looks good at 12800. So it holds its own against the Barbie camera?
    Nope. The barbie cam was a revolution in camera and sensor technology that will lead the market for a long time to come. If Nikon release a D5 in a body the size of a mirrorless while still fitting a full frame sensor, it could come close. The barbie cam introduces noise levels so late that if it was any later it would be called the pregnant barbie cam.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Some beautiful photos and awesome results with the very high ISO. As someone with smaller hands - one reason I've always shied away from full frame - its size would possibly suit me.
    I think the size of the D750 will suit a lot of users who may have been scared off by the size of the D800.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    removal of the AF-On button is not so much the removal of it .. it's more a case of the non inclusion of it.
    Same goes for the D600 series, and was a major deal breaker for me at the time.

PS. Tamron's VC is pretty much silent(at least on the 24-70VC).

I've tested all my stabilised lenses(sounds like a lot but in fact only 3 of them! ). All tests with both on board mic as well as separate tests with a (old and cheapo) shotgun mic.
    Nikon 105VR .. sounds the worst of the lot. Not too bad to the naked ear .. but on video it's just above an annoying level.
    Nikon 18-105VR .. not as bad but still at a point close to unusable. You can hear it operate enough to wish you had turned it off.
    Tamron 24-70VC .. unless you're in total silence, you won't hear it engage at all.

The difference in the sound of both AF and VR if you have a shotgun mic is marked enough to make it worth considering.
    Of course the problem is in having access to one if the video is just a spontaneous moment.

The only lens I've used so far for any video work, real video .. not just for the sake of seeing how it'd work .. is the T24-70VC.

Of course the search for a good cheap and easily operated external recorder is under way at my end.

Good to see you finally plunged!
    One question on the handling front too tho .. is the camera limited in any way if you have male hands and have pick painted nails?
    ie. are there any specific limitations to be weary of if those conditions are all met at the same time.
    It concerned me that the D600's smaller form factor(cf the D800) I may have had pink fingernail issues. The larger size of the grip and the camera on the whole of the D800 hasn't raised this concern tho.

PPS. now that you have a new cam .. we should try to arrange another meetup. People are always more interesting when they have new gear to show me
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    removal of the AF-On button is not so much the removal of it .. it's more a case of the non inclusion of it.
    Same goes for the D600 series, and was a major deal breaker for me at the time.

PS. Tamron's VC is pretty much silent(at least on the 24-70VC).

I've tested all my stabilised lenses(sounds like a lot but in fact only 3 of them! ). All tests with both on board mic as well as separate tests with a (old and cheapo) shotgun mic.
    Nikon 105VR .. sounds the worst of the lot. Not too bad to the naked ear .. but on video it's just above an annoying level.
    Nikon 18-105VR .. not as bad but still at a point close to unusable. You can hear it operate enough to wish you had turned it off.
    Tamron 24-70VC .. unless you're in total silence, you won't hear it engage at all.

The difference in the sound of both AF and VR if you have a shotgun mic is marked enough to make it worth considering.
    Of course the problem is in having access to one if the video is just a spontaneous moment.

The only lens I've used so far for any video work, real video .. not just for the sake of seeing how it'd work .. is the T24-70VC.

Of course the search for a good cheap and easily operated external recorder is under way at my end.

Good to see you finally plunged!
    One question on the handling front too tho .. is the camera limited in any way if you have male hands and have pick painted nails?
    ie. are there any specific limitations to be weary of if those conditions are all met at the same time.
    It concerned me that the D600's smaller form factor(cf the D800) I may have had pink fingernail issues. The larger size of the grip and the camera on the whole of the D800 hasn't raised this concern tho.

PPS. now that you have a new cam .. we should try to arrange another meetup. People are always more interesting when they have new gear to show me
    I only tested the video with the 70-200 which obviously has more noise but the Nikon 24-70 doesn't have VR so it won't be an issue. Guess the solution could simply be to turn it off.

The AF-On button isn't that much of an issue for me. I don't use the FN button so I and I don't use AE/AL lock often so I could assign the FN button to that.

The bigger issue for me was the removal of multiple custom settings but most of my settings are similar so I could easily change them to suit the environment. Part of my settings were AF related and with these being moved into the AF button on the side, that may reduce the requirement for the custom settings. I also used to have a custom setting for my wife with the AF working on the shutter release because the AF-On was difficult for her to manage and with the D750 scene modes I could easily switch her to one of those which would solve the problem. I guess it's all about change and some change was required with the D750 anyway.

Agree on the meet. I posted one about a day event if anyone wants to join but another walk around the city may be in order.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 04-01-2015 at 12:39pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched a couple of D750 reviews last night from Fro (shooting nighttime sport) & Digital Rev ( Kai's usual droll 'walk-down-the-street aimlessly' review )
    Looks like a great low light sports camera.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit the bullet and got the D750 from JB and with the default setting except for the RAw setting its a game breaker
    My new friend AF-A

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously looking at this one my self paired with the new 20mm 1.8 for some travel coming up this year to Cambodia.
    Nikon D600 tamron 24-70 2.8 50 1.4 K5 Da70 Da 40

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the pix even at 12800iso are more than usable. I think we get a little hung up about noise etc and forget the biggest things are in fact composition and subject. I would be happy to print those pics if she was my daughter, the noise is no problem at all. Colouration is fantastic considering the iso level too.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the pix even at 12800iso are more than usable. I think we get a little hung up about noise etc and forget the biggest things are in fact composition and subject. I would be happy to print those pics if she was my daughter, the noise is no problem at all. Colouration is fantastic considering the iso level too.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post
    I think it depends on what you are using it for. I think some photographers expect a little more out of their photos and their expectations are higher, personally I am not selling mine so my expectations aren't to the moon. Personally I'd be happy with ISO12800 for Facebook and small prints, but anything enlarged it would be pretty noticeable unless you are producing a black and white with a bit of grain.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A heads up:

Just read this possible caveat with the D750's hotshoe:

link to Nikon Rumours

Phottix users have noticed some issues with one of their triggers. It seems the hotshoe dimensions on the D750 are a tiny amount larger in one direction.
    End result is that some hotshoe mount devices may not seat properly, and hence have some trouble operating as expected.

Phottix claim that some of Nikon's SB series speedlights may also have issues, implying that this may not be a problem only for Phottix devices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MissionMan,

Thanks for the 'review/thoughts' on the D750. Read some good things about it online. Think I might have to go and have a look a little closer at one on the weekend.
    Cheers
    Danny

D750 & D610