User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good macro lens for a beginner?

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Jason View Post
    Very nice! Particularly like the first one! They really make me itch to get one now

So if I was to upgrade to a full frame camera, this would still be a decent lens? More out of curiosity then anything, the full frame is still a LONG way off in reality
    Those photos are on a full frame camera. Some on the D700 and some on the new D750.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple answer - a very good used Tamron AF 90mm f2.5 or even f2.8.

Mongo bought his in virtually new/unused condition in original buttoned pouch for $90.

Mongo has about 4 other nikon macro lenses and the Tamron is equal to or better than the Nikons. Also doubles as a brilliant portrait and general lens. Also, a good used manual nikon 55mm f2.8 or f3.5 macro would also be a good alternative but poor value compared to the auto focus Tamron for less money
    Nikon and Pentax user

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou Mongo, I think that will be the one to go for. That way I can use it with my future cameras as well if I do upgrade

I'm assuming KEH is the place to go for used lens's?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm wondering how you're sating your appetite for Macro (a sort of pasta?) while you're looking for a lens.

Have you heard about strapping a reversed lens on the front of another?

The only thing you've got to watch out for is the pronounced vignetting caused by "looking though" a small aperture
    on the reversed lens. Generally, you use an ~100mm or more lens on your camera, and a reversed shorter lens taped
    (or otherwise attached) on the front of that.

What happens?

You can come in very close to your subject - about the distance that your sensor is "behind" the front lens - and the image is
    projected down the length of your longer lens to the sensor. Some serious reproduction sizes can be achieved.

A hint: keep the reversed lens aperture wide open.

Possible drawbacks: vignetting, as mentioned, and interfering optics of the lenses (though rare if lenses are of reasonable Q).

---Just a thought!
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-03-2015 at 9:10pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lens reversal and extension tubes are handy to have, but so far that I've seen, for both ease of use and better quality the use of a true macro lens is usually provides for better overall quality and experience.

This doesn't mean to say that neither of these options don't work .. they obviously do.

KEH is good for product and decent prices .. but like I said earlier .. a bit over the top for shipping.

there's probably a reason for that tho .. maybe their packaging policy is very high quality or something?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I've got the Tamron 90mm and am very happy with this lens. I also use it as a portrait lens. I would recommend this. I bought mine second hand.
    Nikon D90 with Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 Nikon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm macro f2.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4 - 5.6, SB-600, Manfrotto tripod and head.
    Software: Elements 10 and Aperture.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Jason View Post
    Thankyou Mongo, I think that will be the one to go for. That way I can use it with my future cameras as well if I do upgrade

I'm assuming KEH is the place to go for used lens's?
    KEH is as good as any but watch for heavy postage cost lest they blow the price of the lens out of proportion to finding one locally. Really, any reliable source you find should do.

Also, there is no concern whatsoever using it on a crop sensor camera. You will be effectively shooting at about 135mm but that is still ideal for macro and portraiture. If and when you may update to a full frame, again, you will be shooting at 90mm but this again, still ideal for macro and portraits - you cannot go wrong.

reversing lenses etc as suggested by others is a good emergency thing for macro but not a long term solution nor will it give you portrait capability. If you can find one to the Tamrons Mongo has suggested at up to $150, it will be a very wise and cost effective purchase. good luck and let us know what you do in due course.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another macro lens for consideration are the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 lenses.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 06-03-2015 at 12:02pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again guys, can't say how much I appreciate it I was looking at the extension tubes, but thought if I was going to do it then I may as well go the full way and get a proper lens the reversing lens sounds interesting though... although I think i'd be too paranoid about getting the lens dusty or dirty in spots i'm too scared to try and clean :P

@Am, I'm just using the kit lens at the moment for my macro's (18-55), and just getting extremely close to the subject... then further zooming and cropping once I put them through lightroom have been happy with the results so far, but am starting to realise they could be much better haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    There really is no such thing as a free lunch with lenses as a rule but for more economical alternatives have a look around at pricing for Tamron 90mm macros and you might find some secondhand units that are selling cheaply. Be aware that the early versions of that lens will not autofocus with your current camera but that may not be a drawback as many many macro photographers use manual focus anyway.
    LOL I wish I had read this during the week I have the opportunity to purchase a Tamron 90mm macro lens from a photography friend, and I have spent the day today trying it out ..... and being most frustrated I couldn't get the Autofocus to work ..... I figured I was doing something wrong but then a quick search on the internet and I find out that the Tamron will not AF with the Nikon D3100 or D5100. I did get to try it out with hubby's D70 and the autofocus worked beautifully and I did get some OK shots using the manual focus, but the depth of field is a bit too shallow for my liking; I am sure I can play some more and get some photos I am happy with.

My dilemma now is do I go ahead with this purchase, or do I keep on the hunt for the same lens but in the AF-S version?
    I think I will have another play tomorrow.
    cheers
    CathyC

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyC View Post
    and I did get some OK shots using the manual focus, but the depth of field is a bit too shallow for my liking; I am sure I can play some more and get some photos I am happy with.

My dilemma now is do I go ahead with this purchase, or do I keep on the hunt for the same lens but in the AF-S version?
    The depth of field is related to the distance of the camera from the subject and the aperture used. For most close up / macro photography a "starting" aperture would be F/8 and then smaller F/11, F/16 etc. Many of the photos that you may have seen and that have inspired you possibly have been done by taking multiple images at differing focus points on the subject and then combined in software to give a greater depth of field.

Choosing between the 2 types of lens to either have AF or not is fairly easy to me, I would hunt for a later version that will focus with your current body as you can always turn AF off when you desire but you can't turn it on in the earlier version. As well as being a good macro lens, the Tamron is also a very good portrait lens on either an APSC or 35mm camera and autofocus can be very handy to have in those situations.

Happy playing and thinking -----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think a little here.
    Get the hubby to upgrade his camera so his current camera that the AF works on becomes yours.
    Last edited by Mark L; 14-06-2015 at 10:35pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even better .. why waste money on a new lens that won't give you much of a benefit .. and use that money instead on a better camera!
    A D7200 ... or even better! ... a much cheaper(now) D7100 that will not only AF when you need it .. but also produce much better images than the D70 is ever likely too.
    Another camera option to consider in this price range could be the venerable D700!
    Second hand these tough old beasts are more than capable, and allow you a few more framing flexibility options .. at more than a reasonable price.
    Other cameras that will AF with this lens are:
    D80, D90, D7000, D300/D300s, D600, D610 and higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Choosing between the 2 types of lens to either have AF or not is fairly easy to me, I would hunt for a later version that will focus with your current body as you can always turn AF off when you desire but you can't turn it on in the earlier version. As well as being a good macro lens, the Tamron is also a very good portrait lens on either an APSC or 35mm camera and autofocus can be very handy to have in those situations.

Happy playing and thinking -----
    thanks for the input I returned the lens to my friend (luckily he had someone else interested in it) and will keep a lookout for another opportunity to buy a macro lens that will autofocus with my cameras

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Think a little here.
    Get the hubby to upgrade his camera so his current camera that the AF works on becomes yours.
    LOL I like your thinking, but I think I will stick with what I have got for the time being.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Even better .. why waste money on a new lens that won't give you much of a benefit .. and use that money instead on a better camera!
    A D7200 ... or even better! ... a much cheaper(now) D7100 that will not only AF when you need it .. but also produce much better images than the D70 is ever likely too.
    Another camera option to consider in this price range could be the venerable D700!
    Second hand these tough old beasts are more than capable, and allow you a few more framing flexibility options .. at more than a reasonable price.
    Other cameras that will AF with this lens are:
    D80, D90, D7000, D300/D300s, D600, D610 and higher.
    LOL I wish! I cannot justify a new camera just yet - I only got the D5100 recently ........... but I like your thinking
    CathyC
    D3100, D5100, D7000
    Lenses: Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 18-105mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 55-300mm
    My Blog: http://anentreeincolour.blogspot.com.au/
    My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/38082060@N05/

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I returned the lens to my friend (luckily he had someone else interested in it) and will keep a lookout for another opportunity to buy a macro lens that will autofocus with my cameras
    And isn't that the correct thing to do !!

I am glad that you did that because I have just had a look through your blog that is listed in your signature. Must be a recent addition as it wasn't there in your earlier posts and it throws a new light on things.

Forget my earlier post about a Tamron 90mm, having seen a few photos on your blog my feelings are that you would be better served by a Sigma 150mm macro, either with image stabilisation or without ( 2 different models ) as they will allow more working room when spiders are subjects.

As well as offering great macro detail at longer camera to subject distances, it will work perfectly for food and handicraft images, I think that you deserve that lens as it really has got a lot going for it with your images and at a pinch could be fitted to your husbands camera on the rare occasions that you aren't using it.

Just go and buy one !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12