User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Pano Stitching Software - Update.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pano Stitching Software - Update.

So today I went to run the erstwhile Microsoft ICE to stitch a pano from last evening. - All very so far.

I got an encouraging message saying there was a new version and would I like to UPDATE?

Well, I did - along with some new C++ libraries..., etc, etc...

Go to use it - -?? I cannot save a full size version of the pano - no bigger than about 1/4 original size.

Hmm! This reminds me of the old Hugin I have on another machine, I thought. Also like Hugin, ICE now let me muck around with
    lots of new projections. But it gave me a clipped image, so I could not get the whole of the edges into the frame.

RESULT: After about 1/2 an hour of trying this and trying that - and let me say I'm no newbie to stitchware - I DITCHED IT
    and reinstalled the version I had before (last one).

TO BOOT, I said to myself, I'll go and get the LATEST 64-bit Hugin. So I did, tried it for about 1/2 an hour, found it to have
    REGRESSED MIGHTILY in the intuitiveness of the interface, and .... well, so far I have only ROUNDLY IGNORED it. Maybe I will
    ditch it too and look for an earlier (?32 bit) version.

Epilog: Heck! Talk about progress! - Because that's about ALL we will ever be able to do, and remember when it actually meant
    an improvement.

That's it. Any ideas/opinions/insights/commiserations will be greatly accepted.

Am(feeling like ).
    Last edited by ameerat42; 20-02-2015 at 2:41pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always found AutoPano Pro, or Autopano Giga to be fine for stitching - there's not much they can't do, especially when I hark back to earlier times when they had to be manually stitched!! (Or am I showing my age)

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

TO BOOT, I said to myself, I'll go and get the LATEST 64-bit Hugin. So I did, tried it for about 1/2 an hour, found it to have
    REGRESSED MIGHTILY in the intuitiveness of the interface, and .... well, so far I have only ROUNDLY IGNORED it. Maybe I will
    ditch it too and look for an earlier (?32 bit) version.

That's it. Any ideas/opinions/insights/commiserations will be greatly accepted.

Am(feeling like ).
    There has been a bit of comment about the new gui which first appeared in hugin-2013.0.0, which is a pity because it doesn't take too much effort to come to grips with the new interface.
    There is a tutorial on the new interface, which might help you get over that initial hump, which I wrote.
    If that doesn't help, you should voice your opinion on the hugin-ptx mailing list so that the developers get your feedback.
    If don't wish to respond to the hugin-ptx mailing list, then please talk directly, and I can pass on your views, and maybe improve the tutorial if that is needed.

Cheers,
    Terry

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta TD.
    I haven't ditched it yet, and will delve into it some when the initial bad taste subsides.

What I found particularly secondarily dull was how the info for good/bad fit disappeared as soon as you told it to Align.
    Primary dimness occurred when I could not see how to output it at the normal size - ie, of original files. Now, my old
    2009 version does reduce the output size, but I did hear that the 2011 version - which I could not install - maintained the size.

Am.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I have just SEEN how to change the output size. It's tucked away under the Stitcher tab, and it depends on the
    projection used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta TD.
    I haven't ditched it yet, and will delve into it some when the initial bad taste subsides.
    Good!

What I found particularly secondarily dull was how the info for good/bad fit disappeared as soon as you told it to Align.
    With the version I am running (2014.1.0...current development source) that info is always displayed in the 'Assistant' tab of the 'Fast Panorama preview' window. I don't think that has changed since hugin-2013.0.0.

Primary dimness occurred when I could not see how to output it at the normal size - ie, of original files. Now, my old
    2009 version does reduce the output size, but I did hear that the 2011 version - which I could not install - maintained the size.

Am.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I have just SEEN how to change the output size. It's tucked away under the Stitcher tab, and it depends on the
    projection used.
    OK, good. 'Calculate Optimal Size' if I remember correctly. It depends on the projection, field of view and any crop boundaries set.
    If you want to persevere with hugin, I would recommend subscribing to the hugin-PTX mailing list. You will get a reasonably rapid response to any queries, questions and problems.

Cheers,
    Terry

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! I've got "2012.0.0.a6e4184ad538 built by Matthew Petroff".

But I did search for a 64-bit version. Perhaps this is the latest of those.

I'll go and check out just 32-bit versions and maybe get the latest there.

Ta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! I've got "2012.0.0.a6e4184ad538 built by Matthew Petroff".

But I did search for a 64-bit version. Perhaps this is the latest of those.
    There should be a 2014.0.0 available.
    Have a look here http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugi.../hugin-2014.0/

This uses the new GUI.
    I'm a linux user so haven't tested any of these Windows builds. I know there were some issues with some recent Windows builds, missing dll or built with debugging 'on' or somesuch, so hope you won't have any problems.

Cheers,
    Terry

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, TD.